Would you install Windows 10 or 7 if it only came out in floppy versions?

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes it was hellish in the extreme... if computing ever went back to those days, I would quit working on them for sure.

I would actually run bunch of them in a raid array and am gonna see windows boot in between  5-10 min :o. Light speed and a new cool way of running techB|xD

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

Total for Windows 10 is 2,577 floppies

Still, quite a lot.

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Just glue them together:P.

Microsoft is doing shady stuff, wouldn't surprise me if they do that. I would rahter get my work done on a Mac then I guess...

Well it doesn't bother me about the OS so much, I use Linux now anyway as main OS as I was really tired of windows. Still havebto use it for clients computers for now, but if I could convince them to have ubuntu or some other distro I would for sure, would save them money too... but gamers generally want windows as ATM you get higher framerates IIRC :(

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

24 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

How many floppies did your version require? I'm pretty sure the version used for end uses needed 26 floppies. Must have been hell. 

I don't remember that was sometime ago.

21 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Yes, I remember installing win 3.1 from floppies too, I think when win 95 came out I had the choice of cd, but not positive?... it was around 32 discs of floppies for 3.1 IIRC, took about 2-3 hours or possibly even longer to install. I hated floppies at the time even (around 1994), I also had a cd rom, so at least some things moved a little quicker than floppies, but computing back then was torturous in the extreme and had to find something to do while waiting for stuff to install/write etc was an extreme PITA.

We didn't have a cd-rom drive yet so our best option was floppy. :(  I remember dad saying that the cd-rom drive was to expensive yet to get now you can buy a drive for what 15-20 bucks?

I would watch t.v. or read a book while installing stuff with floppy's, I just made sure to have the screen turned so I could see the "please change disk ## with disk ##" pop up.

I floppy table would cool. :) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, Factory OC said:

It's a small price to pay for my friend.

But time consuming.

5 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Just glue them together:P.

And feel bad that you can't play your 4k Ultra HD AAA Dos title:(. Just kiddingxD.

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

Well it doesn't bother me about the OS so much, I use Linux now anyway as main OS as I was really tired of windows. Still havebto use it for clients computers for now, but if I could convince them to have ubuntu or some other distro I would for sure, would save them money too... but gamers generally want windows as ATM you get higher framerates IIRC :(

Oh my soul. Imagine a client coming in "Can you please install Windows 10 on my PC?". I would quit my job and find another one...

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

We didn't have a cd-rom drive yet so our best option was floppy. :( 

I would watch t.v. or read a book while installing stuff with floppy's, I just made sure to have the screen turned so I could see the "please change disk ## with disk ##" pop up.

Not a lot of people had one. TOONAMI TIME!, I guess:P.

1 minute ago, M.A.P said:

And feel bad that you can't play your 4k Ultra HD AAA Dos title:(. Just kiddingxD.

DOS v102.3 anyone???

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

I don't remember that was sometime ago.

We didn't have a cd-rom drive yet so our best option was floppy. :( 

My first CD-rom was around £150 or so IIRC, came bundled with a sound card too, but still expensive as hell. If they were priced like that now or you still needed a sound card it'd be sad days indeed.. look how much money people are saving today since sound cards are pretty good on most mobos and BD writers even are around £50 or so for top speed ones. I got a BD writer about 4+ years ago for £70 IIRC, and gor a BD writer for my laptop in a misprice sale for only £25, sony 6x I think it is IIRC... that's around the same price as some DVD writers, although you can get DVD writers as low as about £12 sometimes now. Things have definitely improved over the years, it's been 22-23 years and in that time the advances that have been made are brilliant!! - just not as brilliant as we all were hoping for, like phasers/lightsabers hoverboards etc.. and although we have got some versions of those things they aren't up to the level we expected is all :D

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Oh my soul. Imagine a client coming in "Can you please install Windows 10 on my PC?". I would quit my job and find another one...

Almost died laughing.. :D 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

My first CD-rom was around £150 or so IIRC, came bundled with a sound card too, but still expensive as hell. If they were priced like that now or you still needed a sound card it'd be sad days indeed.. look how much money people are saving today since sound cards are pretty good on most mobos and BD writers even are around £50 or so for top speed ones. I got a BD writer about 4+ years ago for £70 IIRC, and gor a BD writer for my laptop in a misprice sale for only £25, sony 6x I think it is IIRC... that's around the same price as some DVD writers, although you can get DVD writers as low as about £12 sometimes now. Things have definitely improved over the years, it's been 22-23 years and in that time the advances that have been made are brilliant!! - just not as brilliant as we all were hoping for, like phasers/lightsabers hoverboards etc.. and although we have got some versions of those things they aren't up to the level we expected is all :D

Jesus! Why the Sound Card Though?

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Almost died laughing.. :D 

I will laugh and reject the customer if the customer pays overtime. I laugh in the Restroom

3 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

MS-DOS? 4K? HD? ULTRA? Those will never go together... Look at my DOOM, running in Dos Box]

Capture.PNG

Does this look HD?

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

DOS v102.3 anyone???

Damn, I would still use MS-Dos as a OS.

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

MS-DOS? 4K? HD? ULTRA? Those will never go together... Look at my DOOM, running in Dos Box]

Capture.PNG

Does this look HD?

That is 2k my friend 2048x1152 is 2k

1 minute ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

To 1970? I was in the XP era

I grew up on DOS 4 and 6. Loved it, been to long I have forgotten mostly how to use it. :( 

DOS would be blazing fast on todays stuff.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, GanstaKingofSA said:

Jesus! Why the Sound Card Though?

I will laugh and reject the customer if the customer pays overtime. I laugh in the Restroom

Sound card for games as motherboards back then didn't have sound cards, plus it was bundled with the cd-rom so you could listen to CDs too :)

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Sound card for games as motherboards back then didn't have sound cards, plus it was bundled with the cd-rom so you could listen to CDs too :)

CD is useful and wow. My mobo has a sound card built in even that is OEM

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I grew up on DOS 4 and 6. Loved it, been to long I have forgotten mostly how to use it. :( 

My 1st PC ran XP

Do you remember what sound card it was, or was it like a copy of some other sound card? Wish I would actually see a Sound Blaster in real life.

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Capture.PNG

Does this look HD?

i want DOOM on my PC. The Old one not the New One

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

MS-Dos 7.1 was nice. Had a cool file manager option in the installation that had kind of a cool mouse implementation. Looked like the menu in Super Hot.

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Do you remember what sound card it was, or was it like a copy of some other sound card? Wish I would actually see a Sound Blaster in real life.

Sound blaster II I think it was, was pretty awesome back then being able to have half decent sound.. used to play on my PC all the time, compared to day I mostly game on xboxone instead... back then used to play stuff like doom 1 and 2, command and conquer etc mostly. Yeah, I wish I had kept some of that hardware, but at the time it was junk when I got new PCs.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, GanstaKingofSA said:

i want DOOM on my PC. The Old one not the New One

Just pick up Dos Box. I can't tell you where to get the DOOM files for free, as that is considered piracy. Also, learn some DOS commands to start it.

Ahh actually it was this one

Sound Blaster Pro 2, CT1600

220px-Ct1600.jpg

Sound Blaster Pro 2 (CT1600)

The revised version, the Sound Blaster Pro 2, CT1600, replaced the YM3812s with a more advanced Yamaha YMF262 (OPL3). Otherwise it is functionally identical to the original Sound Blaster Pro. Shortly after the release of the Sound Blaster Pro 2 version, Creative discontinued the original Sound Blaster Pro.

The Sound Blaster Pro 2 was also sold with the following on-board CD-ROM controllers:

• Sound Blaster Pro 2, SCSI, CT1610
  • Sound Blaster Pro 2, LMSI, CT1620
  • Sound Blaster Pro 2, Sony, CT1690
  • Sound Blaster Pro 2, Mitsumi, CT2600

Packaged Sound Blaster cards were initially marketed and sold into the retail-channel. Creative's domination of the PC audiocard business soon had them selling the Sound Blaster Pro 2 OEM, CT1680, to customers for integration into pre-assembled PCs.

Creative also sold Multimedia Upgrade Kits containing the Sound Blaster Pro. The kit bundled the sound card, a Matsushita CD-ROM drive (model 531 for single-speed, or 562/3 for the later double-speed (2x) drives), and several CD-ROMs of multimedia software titles. As CD-ROM technology was then new, the kit included CD-ROM software, representing a tremendous value to consumers. One such kit, named "OmniCD", included the 2x Matsushita drive along with an ISA controller card and software, including Software Toolworks Encyclopedia and Aldus PhotoStyler SE. It was compliant with the MPC Level 2 standard.

Just looked it up on wiki  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Sound blaster II I think it was, was pretty awesome back then being able to have half decent sound.. used to play on my PC all the time, compared to day I mostly game on xboxone instead... back then used to play stuff like doom 1 and 2, command and conquer etc mostly. Yeah, I wish I had kept some of that hardware, but at the time it was junk when I got new PCs.

Yeah, we would look back at these days PC's and consoles and they will be worth a lot in the future. Any sound card was better than the PC speaker alone...