Intel and Spreadtrum announce 8 core x86 smartphone SoC with LTE

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11196/mwc-2017-spreadtrum-launches-8core-intel-airmontbased-soc-with-cat-7-lte-for-smartphones

Spreadtrum's 8-Core Airmont SoC
  SC9861G-IA
CPU Cores 8 × Intel Airmont at up to 2 GHz
GPU PowerVR GT7200
Imaging Capabilities Up to 26 MP,
up to two 13 MP sensors
Video 4Kp30, HEVC
Display Controller 2560 × 1440
Modem TD-LTE/FDD LTE/TD-SCDMA/WCDMA/EGG
LTE Category 7
(DL: 300Mbps, UL: 100Mbps)
Process Technology 14 nm

The Spreadtrum SC9861G-IA SoC features eight Intel’s Airmont cores with running at up to 2 GHz, with Imagination Technology's PowerVR GT7200 GPU. Also integrated is Spreadtrum's own 5-mode LTE Cat 7 modem (up to 300 Mbps download, up to 100 Mbps upload). The SoC also integrates an ISP that supports up to two 13 MP camera sensors, a dedicated sensor hub, and hardware-based decoders/encoders for HEVC and other popular video codecs that support up to 3840×2160 resolution. The display controller can handle resolutions up to 2560×1600.

This actually looks super interesting. These are the latest generation Cherry trail cores (Surface 3) that are in the latest Atom generation. Intel have struggled in the past because of lack of built in LTE, this looks to have been addressed this time around.

No word on TDP but this chip look pretty high end on the CPU side, unfortunately that GPU isn't really competitive, it has 1/3 of the cores of the iPhone 6s GPU.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I mean why not, but intel lost a fuckton of money on it's mobile SoC business. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Well this is going to get interesting! I want to see what the actual performance is like compared to android phones also x86 hmm..... Kinda want to try running xp on this :P

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

But will it run Windows XP?

The IPhone 7 can.....

Anyway, there are some good use cases for a low power, but quite powerful SoC that can run x86 natively. But I won't count in phonen for one of them.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Looks pretty interesting, wanna see what they can do with it as intel has struggled with compatibility issues with their mobile processors in the past

15 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Well they do still have many f***tons of many. Maybe something will stick lol.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

58 minutes ago, Daring said:

Intel returning to the phone business? Interesting.

No, this is not an Intel product and will contain no Intel branding. It simply uses Intel cores for the processor.

Wait... GT7200?

So it's a 2.5 years old mid-range GPU...?

And Airmont cores? If you're going to make a new chip then why use the old architecture and not Goldmont.

Airmont is just a dieshrink of Silvermont, which came out in late 2013.

So this chip is a 3 year old CPU architecture with a 2.5 year old midrange GPU. It most likely won't support DDR4 (since no Airmont chip has so far) so that's a big hit to performance as well.

I can see this doing well in exactly 1 category. Super cheap computers that you still want to run Windows on. So for example maybe a HDMI stick that you plug into your TV. Or possibly a really cheap and low end laptop. That's pretty much it though. I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole if they put it inside a phone.

I would really like to see Intel work some magic to put their iGPU solutions on phones. They recently have been getting (relatively) really good performance in their integrated graphics.

I would love a phone that supports the full range of x86 programs. I dont use my phone for gaming at all so ill likely be fine with gpu performance. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

10 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

who cares, they waste money then they spread the loss on margins of other products you buy like CPUs, SSDs...

I don't know if it will do Intel any favors to invest on something that crashed and burned before. I don't even think they'll reach what Qualcomm had achieved with the Snapdragon 835 but it's probably good for low end phones and tablets. 

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/835

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside