Stick with 6900k or go Ryzen 1800x

Hi,

So I just got a great deal on a 6900k almost half of what it costs however my X99 motherboard that I have had for a while now has just decided to give up my 6900k overclocks to 4.4ghz at 1.25v could probably go further but I'm playing it safe my Cinebench r15 score is 1788 Multi Thread and 172 Single Thread. So basically do I buy a new x99 motherboard or sell the 6900k and with the money pick up a 1800x and am4 motherboard? Is the 1800x any a lot better than the 6900k?

The 6900k is better at single threaded tasks like gaming, but the 1800x to my knowledge is a few percentage points faster then the 6900k when using all it's threads.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

The 6900k is better at single threaded tasks like gaming, but the 1800x to my knowledge is a few percentage points faster then the 6900k when using all it's threads.

But isn't the 1800x just behind in gaming due to optimisation that is what I keep hearing everyone keeps saying it will come and smash the intel cpu's once stuff has been optimised properly for them

IMO stick with the 6900k, the X99 platform has been around for some years now so you wont have to deal with with the newness of AM4. As time passes we will see bugs ironed out of AM4, but as it stands now, stick with X99. 

Just now, KickinGravy said:

IMO stick with the 6900k, the X99 platform has been around for some years now so you wont have to deal with with the newness of AM4. As time passes we will see bugs ironed out of AM4, but as it stands now, stick with X99. 

Any good x99 boards that are known to be good boards I have the strix x99 at the moment I've seen the Rog Edition 10 going cheap so might pick it up if it's a good board also seen the godlike carbon going cheap

1 minute ago, Qwweb said:

New motherboard will cost less than a new motherboard and CPU, if you already have a 6900K there is no real reason to change.

I second this.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Qwweb said:

New motherboard will cost less than a new motherboard and CPU, if you already have a 6900K there is no real reason to change.

ok :D just checking before I drop some money on a new motherboard the whole left side ram slots have stopped working on my x99 board :( 

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Any good x99 boards that are known to be good boards I have the strix x99 at the moment I've seen the Rog Edition 10 going cheap so might pick it up if it's a good board also seen the godlike carbon going cheap

EVGA makes some solid boards as does ASUS. In the end it all depends what features you want such as built in wifi and such.

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

But isn't the 1800x just behind in gaming due to optimisation that is what I keep hearing everyone keeps saying it will come and smash the intel cpu's once stuff has been optimised properly for them

That's still up for debate as there's no real proof of this.

Isnt the next generation of AMD chips going to use AM4 aswell? Might be a little bit of future proofing.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, KickinGravy said:

EVGA makes some solid boards as does ASUS. In the end it all depends what features you want such as built in wifi and such.

it seems a lot of boards don't have 2 usb 2.0 headers so I can't use my AIO and front usb 2.0 :/ might have to get one of those spitter things nzxt sells

Just now, MekaStrix said:

it seems a lot of boards don't have 2 usb 2.0 headers so I can't use my AIO and front usb 2.0 :/ might have to get one of those spitter things nzxt sells

USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with older USB. No need  

Just now, Jrock said:

Isnt the next generation of AMD chips going to use AM4 aswell? Might be a little bit of future proofing.

AMD will likely use AM4 for a fair while just like AM3/AM3+ they might update with an AM4+ that current Ryzen CPU's fit in but who knows going by history though it's likely

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

4 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

there is a problem with the scheduler, no it will not make ryzen faster than kabylake but it might help it be closer to the 6900k, the problem here is that windows lokes to move threads around much and ryzens cache is split in two, so each time windows moves it to another ccx theres a substantial performance hit, 

Just now, KickinGravy said:

Shame Phanteks don't sell spare parts I could probably pick up a pair of usb 3.0 unscrew the little holding plate on the luxe that holds the usb 2.0 in and slide in the usb 3.0 bam 4 usb 3.0 on the front on my case

Just now, MekaStrix said:

AMD will likely use AM4 for a fair while just like AM3/AM3+ they might update with an AM4+ that current Ryzen CPU's fit in but who knows going by history though it's likely

TBH i would go for the 1800x for bragging(lol) and "future proofing"

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

they said they will stick with am4 for a while

2 minutes ago, KickinGravy said:

but he would need a internal usb 3 to internal usb 2 adaptor

I upgraded to a 1700x, so if you wanted to upgrade, I'd say save your money and get the 1700x instead of the 1800x. Otherwise, I'd just say stick with your current CPU. It's not ancient by any means. You're still going to get plenty of use out of it for time to come. So I do not think a new CPU and MB would neccessarily be worth it unless you needed it for some specific task.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I upgraded to a 1700x, so if you wanted to upgrade, I'd say save your money and get the 1700x instead of the 1800x. Otherwise, I'd just say stick with your current CPU. It's not ancient by any means. You're still going to get plenty of use out of it for time to come. So I do not think a new CPU and MB would neccessarily be worth it unless you needed it for some specific task.

Na there's nothing wrong with the cpu I was just looking at motherboards with similar if not better feature sets than my x99 strix and they all cost loads lol so I was trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to go zen with an Asus ROG AM4 board of stick with my 6900k and pick up a new x99 board cause at the moment I can only use half my ram cause the left side slots don't work at all

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Also what CPU did you upgrade from?

9 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Also what CPU did you upgrade from?

I upgraded from FX 6350. New to me several years ago waiting for Ryzen to appear and see what happens. I game, but I also run virtual machines and other work stuff, so the Ryzen is better for that.

And by upgrade, I mean I own a 1700x, but my SAMSUNG M.2 SSD and x370 MB are still back ordered... Pretty much every x370 BM is back ordered right now.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I upgraded from FX 6350. New to me several years ago waiting for Ryzen to appear and see what happens. I game, but I also run virtual machines and other work stuff, so the Ryzen is better for that.

And by upgrade, I mean I own a 1700x, but my SAMSUNG M.2 SSD and x370 MB are still back ordered... Pretty much every x370 BM is back ordered right now.

yeah that's the only issue I would have is getting hold of an AM4 motherboard lol

29 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

A 6900k+X99 just has a terrible price/performance compared to Ryzen (and in general), but since you already have a 6900k, it's probably not worth the hassle of trying to sell it in order to switch to Ryzen. 

Can't you RMA your motherboard? 

In terms of "smashing intel", see below. 

25 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

It's up for debate (if you want) in regards to the consumer platform. But compared to the HEDT lineup, X99 is a superior platform with CPUs that can overclock (and thus outperform Ryzen).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.