Buying help

Hey everybody!

I currently have to decide which CPU I should buy. Linus it totally right when he says "confusing product stack".

I have the ASUS Rampage V Edition 10, 8x 8 GB Corsair Platinum Special Edition and two GTX1080. Because I wanted to save some money and since I had a compatible CPU I did not buy one yet, thus my system is running on an Intel Xeon E5-2680v3. I took that CPU out of one of my servers and he wants it back.

I play games (not that much but when I do I want more than enough power), mostly Fallout 4, GTA V, Dishonored, Battlefield 4 and 1, etc. I also do video encoding and use my system as a workstation (photoshop/premiere/virtual machines).

So my question is what is the best CPU in my case? Intel Core i7-6800K, 6850K or 6900K?

I found plenty of benchmarks of these CPUs but not a single comparison between these three in all the categories I want to use the CPU for (gaming/encoding/workstation).

Please help!

6800K if you only need 6C and 6900K if you need more :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

it all depends. how much money do you have?

the 6800k and 6850k are more or less the same, the only difference is that the 6850k has 0.2GHz higher clock speed. I would just save the money. With the 6850k/6800k vs the 6900k, it depends on what you are doing as the 6850k will outperform it in single threaded workloads

so it all depends on what you do and how much money you want to spend and whether you are going to overclock but they all perform pretty similarly anyway.

Yeah I agree with @nerdslayer1 and @Mr.Meerkat on the 6800k, although if you want more overclocking headroom, look into the previous gen Haswell-E CPUs (5820k). Broadwell-E's don't tend to OC as well.

Main PC "General Whitby" - ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99 | Intel i7 6800K OC to 4.5 GHz @ 1.385v | Corsair H100i v2 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2400 (2x8GB) | EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0 | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250 GB | 2 TB Hitachi Ultrastar Enterprise HDD (2x) | Corsair RM1000i PSU | Corsair C70 Military Green case | Win10 Pro | Corsair K95 RGB Brown | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Restomod 90's PC - ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | AMD FX-8320 | Cooler Master Seidon 120v |12 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 | XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 8 GB | PNY SSD 120 GB | 1 TB Toshiba 2.5 HDD | EVGA 500W1 PSU | Old CyberMax Beige PC case | Win10 Pro | Logitech G710+ Blue | Corsair M65 Non-Pro RGB **Build log coming soon**

Thanks everybody for your quick replies!

I totally forgot that the 6800K only has  28 PCIe Lanes which will be not enough so it's a Deathmatch between the 6850K and 6900K.

I tend to the 6900K for the following reasons

1) Even with "just" 2,5 GHz base clock I can play every single game just fine so even a higher clock speed is not important

2) I have some heavy multi-threaded tasks for which I need more cores than clock and I can't run them on linux (future Xeon server)

3) The price is not that important. I already invested so much, it shouldn't end with the CENTRAL processing unit ;)

I want a future proof system so I guess more cores are more important, right? My old system (Core2Quad Q9650) lasted ~8 years. In it's last years I still could play eg. Battlefield 4 but it wasn't that great anymore. However it was worth the money I paid for it back in 2008, especially because I didn't had to upgrade it beside the graphics card (GTX295 -> GTX580). System works slow but still perfectly :)