My Philosophy on Cooling

Khanzi

Hello Forum, this is my deduction:

There is a lot of people who have custom loops and I don't think this is stupid, I just think this is pointless in most case's. First of all. Every time you get a new component you have to bleed you loop and change the block, and... I have seen some build where the owner didn't even overclock; he had 2x 360mm radiators... Most of the time when you overclock you don't go over 30% ( Increase, not ratio ). Most of the time a good heat sink will keep your temps just about the same as a water cooler. Now for GPU's, if you are planning on buying one and clocking it; then just buy a good aftermarket version that has great cooling. 

But heatsinks have fans and it's loud - You will probably end up having 2x the fans on your radiator.

No offense to people who water cool, but if you have a custom loop just for your cpu, then.,.... Why didn't you just get something like a Corsair H100i? This is why just think water cooling is somewhat unnecessary. I just don't see the effort/price to performance to be worth it. Now, to all you water coolers. be honest. You have a case with a window. You do. 

Water cooling looks cool as hell but I just don't think it's very convenient, or necessary in most case's. I hope I didn't offend anybody with this post. Just sharing my philosophy. If you think I excluded a factor then please tell me why :) Thanks

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

About your logic on the amount of fans, I'd rather have 6 fans at 5v and thats it compared to fans on an H100i at close to 11v and a GPU fan at 80%. It's not about the amount but how slowly you can have them spinning.

I think most people do it not because it is the absolute best price to performance you can get but because it is a personalized loop that is custom made for your system. And I imagine it feels pretty badass to finish it and watch it work like a charm. I would spend the money on water cooling myself if I had a CPU and GPU I would not be upgrading anytime soon, if I had a big enough case to support it, and if I had the time to dedicate to actually do it.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Agree with @

Your system is only as quiet as the loudest part.

If you have lots of low speed fans, it's quieter than one or two loud fans.

Also, fans on graphics cards are often small and therefore more whiney or generally louder than the fans you can put on a radiator

-woop-

understandable, however the way I look at it, if you're not even going to OC at all just stick with stock cooler :P

with that being said, custom loops are awesome even if you just cool your CPU atm, because you can always expand it.

I - myself - am waiting on my budget decision whether or not to get 780ti or maybe hold out for 8xx series and in the meantime get waterblocks for my 680s which still

out performs all the games I've thrown at it :)

*edit*

forgot about the quiet part:

I'm agitated by my pump and my corsair SP120 quiet edition fans, these are the only things making audible noise whilst the PC is on...

however, I've just received my foam for pump (that'll quiet that down) and ordering 2 more cougar vortex fans to get this PC dead silent again ^_^

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me

This thread will explode I think...

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I - myself - am waiting on my budget decision whether or not to get 780ti or maybe hold out for 8xx series and in the meantime get waterblocks for my 680s which still

out performs all the games I've thrown at it :)

I was about to say you can't wait forever to upgrade but then I saw you had a 680. Why dont you just pick up a second 680? The price has fallen and you will have the performance of a 690 which I am sure will keep pace with all maxwell has to offer.

I was about to say you can't wait forever to upgrade but then I saw you had a 680. WHy dont you just pick up a second 680? The price has fallen and you will have the performance of a 690 which I am sure will keep pace with all maxwell has to offer.

I already have 2 in my rig and they're running stock atm, will OC as soon as I water cool them.

ok to be fair, I already OC'ed them before, but for the heat it outputs on DirectCU II... I'd rather have them running stock and still demolish anything with over 140fps on ultra anyway :)

I already have 2 in my rig and they're running stock atm, will OC as soon as I water cool them.

ok to be fair, I already OC'ed them before, but for the heat it outputs on DirectCU II... I'd rather have them running stock and still demolish anything with over 140fps on ultra anyway :)

You have 2 680s and are looking to upgrade?! I dream of having that kind of performance, I am running a 660ti :P

Plus you can expand the custom loop right? If you can't afford a GPU Block, you can always add it later!

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

You have 2 680s and are looking to upgrade?! I dream of having that kind of performance, I am running a 660ti :P

That's how I felt when I first had them and wanted to OC them so bad - which I did, however my room gets to toasty 47'C+

this is why I run them at stock until I get waterblocks on them or get myself 8xx AND slap waterblocks on them too - either way they're going to be wet

That's how I felt when I first had them and wanted to OC them so bad - which I did, however my room gets to toasty 47'C+

this is why I run them at stock until I get waterblocks on them or get myself 8xx AND slap waterblocks on them too - either way they're going to be wet

A waterblock for an ASUS non reference will be hard to obtain (cheaply anyway). So if you are dead set on watercooling go ahead and pick up a maxwell reference design. Hopefully Nvidia keeps making those awesome reference coolers.

Water cooling on a a graphics card is the most rewarding. It looks cooler too.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

So far, the trend I see is: We like the way it looks, and the flexibility.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

i like miniral old PC builds just wanted you to know 

Good luck selling old parts bud.

imo, if you're gonna go custom W/Cing, you need to be using a water chiller or some kind of phase change or an external radiator to differentiate it, otherwise the small benefits you gain over something like an AIO cooler just aren't worth it.

I have a Kraken X60 for my CPU and a single 120mm AIO cooler from Antec (Kuhler H20 or something I think) for my GPU, and for me the lack of maintenance (and on the GPU-side the fact that I reach the dielectric limit of my card before I even hit 70 degrees) makes that better than building a custom loop as far as I'm concerned.

On the CPU side, I can see why people might build a custom loop to squeeze every last MHz they can out of the chip (especially since it enables things like the water chillers or phase change that I mentioned before), but on the GPU side it's really not that hard to stick on an AIO cooler and call it a day, because you'll never reach the thermal capacity of something like that before the card starts to lose stability anyway. The only reason I can really see for whole-build custom loops is that it's a cool/fun thing to do, and if that's your reason for doing it that's fine too :)

I have noise cancelling headphones. I can't hear my computer. My fans stay at 100% all the time. I've been told many times i would be the perfect candidate for a custom loop, however i'm just to lazy and work to much for one. Also why bother when temps are fine for me.

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

No offense to people who water cool, but if you have a custom loop just for your cpu, then.,.... Why didn't you just get something like a Corsair H100i? This is why just think water cooling is somewhat unnecessary. I just don't see the effort/price to performance to be worth it. Now, to all you water coolers. be honest. You have a case with a window. You do. 

I am a water cooler, and I don't have a case window :( , but then I do have this... :P

9692373675_80420ea6ea_b.jpg

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

Extreme cooling and custom loops are a hobby, a sport if you will...

It's not really about being practical or getting the best price/performance, it's more about the process and having fun.

Extreme cooling and custom loops are a hobby, a sport if you will...

It's not really about being practical or getting the best price/performance, it's more about the process and having fun.

That's what I'm saying. 

Well yeah, custom liquid cooling is not necessary in most cases.

Do you think this guy made this because he had to?

BfQNCHn.jpg

*Source: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60690-arctic-water/

No, the guy made it because he wanted to. It's about esthetics most of the times, and it sure damn looks great.

I should add, I like that my PC is noisy as hell. Bothers my little brother to no end. >:D

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Well the only real reason for custom water cooling is looks anyways

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3