Help call from Microsoft

Just a moment ago I received a call from a female Microsoft technician. It was a number from the Netherlands ( 00 31....)  and I live in germany, the woman spoke English but the connection was very bad, she wanted to inform me that my computer had a virus and she wanted to help me repair it or something. 

I only got to pick up the phone at the 3 time they called me. This seems very suspicious to me, she even wanted to proof it that she was real because she said she had my windows product key and she new my last name. 

Has something like this happend to you before? What should I do?

Edit: She also said they received a lot of error messages from my computer 

Defiantly a scam. If you are really concerned contact Microsoft customer services.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

8 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

Never. That surely also looks quite suspicious to me. Why don't you contact Microsoft Deutsch headquarter?

Is this woman's voice pakistani? If so then you can bet your ass it's a scam. And those error messages are fine. Let me guess, she showed you those messages in event viewer? Bastards scammed my Grandad, couldn't believe it when he phoned me telling me he paid microsoft over the phone. Bastards.

Edit, quoted wrong person, sorry haha.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

That's definitely a scam. They've probably collected a small amount of information about you from some hack or leak, and are using the call to try and social-engineer more out of you.

These calls usually lead to the 'Microsoft engineer' asking permission to remote access your computer. From there they'll do some pseudo-technical things before recommending you purchase some software or service that will supposedly fix your supposed problem. Alternatively, they may use your system access to collect additional (financial) data or to encrypt your data and have you pay to get it back.

It's sadly a common thing, which means that sadly, people fall for it. I've had to deal professionally with victims of such scams, and it's not pretty.

Spoiler

Alternatively, there are some tech-savvy people on YouTube who intentionally seek contact with these scammers. They either want to just waste the scammer's time, or try to get a laugh out of seeing how the scammers react to strange situations, such as their remote access leading them into a virtual machine running Windows 95. The YouTubers will then pretend to be tech-illiterate, while the scammers are confused as to what kind of computer they've ended up on.

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

As the others say, its a scam.

Microsoft would not care if you  have a virus. ( Nor me, nor anybody) lol. 

2 minutes ago, DHelios said:

Hide contents

Alternatively, there are some tech-savvy people on YouTube who intentionally seek contact with these scammers. They either want to just waste the scammer's time, or try to get a laugh out of seeing how the scammers react to strange situations, such as their remote access leading them into a virtual machine running Windows 95. The YouTubers will then pretend to be tech-illiterate, while the scammers are confused as to what kind of computer they've ended up on.

I love youtubers that do those videos. Sadly one got a community guidelines strike

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Would you not troll with them on the phone and act completely stupid. Like press microwave buttons and pretend that is your computer. I think I heard a counter-prank call like that before, hilarious. Make sure to record the call if you do and have fun :)

17 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Just a moment ago I received a call from a female Microsoft technician. It was a number from the Netherlands ( 00 31....)  and I live in germany, the woman spoke English but the connection was very bad, she wanted to inform me that my computer had a virus and she wanted to help me repair it or something. 

I only got to pick up the phone at the 3 time they called me. This seems very suspicious to me, she even wanted to proof it that she was real because she said she had my windows product key and she new my last name. 

Have you been living in the Stone Age for the past several years?  This kind of scam has been going on for a while and everyone knows (or should know) it's a scam.

Do a Google search, there are stories about people giving those scammers a taste of their own medicine or leading them along to hilarious results.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

10 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Is this woman's voice pakistani? If so then you can bet your ass it's a scam. And those error messages are fine. Let me guess, she showed you those messages in event viewer? Bastards scammed my Grandad, couldn't believe it when he phoned me telling me he paid microsoft over the phone. Bastards.

Edit, quoted wrong person, sorry haha.

I didn't even turn my pc on because I didn't want them to be "in it" 

for all the others thank you.

1 minute ago, bigneo said:

Like press microwave buttons and pretend that is your computer.

The IT Crowd comes to mind...

"Uh, the button turns it on?"
"Yeah. You-- You do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes..."
"No, no, there you go. There you go, I just heard it come on."

"No, no, that's the music you hear when it comes on."
"That's the music you hear-- I'm sorry, are you from the past?"

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

3 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

My bad, I misread, thought you wrote you seen a lot of error messages.
She would of took you in to event viewer, where there are plenty of error messages, which is normal. And then would of tried to sell you some software to "fix" those error messages.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It's a Scam just block the number and move on with your life 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Microsoft have far too many customers to give a rats rectum about you personal problems.. and even if they didn't they would wait for you to call them so they could price gouge you not call you at home.

Looking for basic IT Tutorials in plain English? Check out our YouTube channel, Follow us on twitter @itsnippetscouk or hit us up on Facebook.

http://www.itsnippets.co.uk - Homepage

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnEKViaUKe7La0CJVYR7Jhw

https://twitter.com/ITSnippetsCoUk - Twitter

https://www.facebook.com/itsnippets.co.uk/ - Facebook

microsoft can't read your systems data like that from a distance, that would be illegal by both EU and the netherlands law, 10/10 scam.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

They just called us again, I was too late to pick the call up. If they call again I will try something with my microwave buttons.

5 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

They just called us again, I was too late to pick the call up. If they call again I will try something with my microwave buttons.

Troll them

2 hours ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Your computer would tell you if it detected errors, not Microsoft support. If you were not called from this number 1 (800) 642-7676, which is the real Microsoft support than it is spam.

12 minutes ago, CapedCrusader21 said:

Your computer would tell you if it detected errors, not Microsoft support. If you were not called from this number 1 (800) 642-7676, which is the real Microsoft support than it is spam.

Phone numbers can be spoofed, so even if it's from that number, it's a scam.

Microsoft isn't going to call for a virus, that's not how it works. :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Just hit them with the good old, "Whats a webpage? Is that something ducks walk on?".

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Troll them with a type writer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Troll them with a type writer.

Do you know something that sounds like one, I dont have one on hand right now.