Ryzen Awesome True Look

2 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Ryzen was just released ... Windows and other OS developers haven't seen anything like that before. Same goes for app developers.

So there is still plenty of headroom for optimisation. And sure it came with RAM problem, but that will all be fixed soon.

I'm confident that Ryzen will be great after 2 months when more games/apps/OS/BIOS are optimised.

Ryzen is already great, but it still can't compete with skylake/Kaby lake due to lower IPC and lower clockspeeds, which is all that anyone is actually saying. 

Also, according to @MageTank, there are legitimate deficiencies in Ryzen's IMC, deficiencies that can't just be "fixed". The degree to which those issues matter likely varies wildly depending on specific use cases from completely irrelevant to a ____.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Ryzen is already great, but it still can't compete with skylake/Kaby lake due to lower IPC and lower clockspeeds, which is all that anyone is actually saying. 

Also, according to @MageTank, there are legitimate deficiencies in Ryzen's IMC, deficiencies that can't just be "fixed". The degree to which those issues matter likely varies wildly depending on specific use cases from completely irrelevant to a ____.

And like I said, neither can 6900k 6950X 6850k or 6800k compete with i7 7700k IPC.

So yeah ... Ryzen seems like great CPU already :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

17 hours ago, MageTank said:

The irony is, you act more like Patrick now than anyone on this forum. You even pretend to have told me things I already knew, then fail to cite the sources (even when I successfully brought up a thread that is several months old, within minutes). You also nitpick peoples posts and go for the low hanging fruit. That's amateur hour sir. Now, for the topic...

This entire thread is full of people arguing the same point, and they don't even know it. "Running low resolutions with high-end GPU isn't an accurate representation of the average user experience". This is true. "Running low resolutions with a high end GPU helps better show a CPU bottleneck", also true. One way isn't better than the other, which is why we do both. We run the low resolutions with a GPU that will not bottleneck a CPU, to compare CPU against CPU with the least amount of variables as physically possible. We then do tests in what we believe to be "average use case" and then compare those results. Is the Ryzen chips capable "gaming" CPU's? I'd personally say so, but it will depend on your entire setup. If you are going to be running multi-GPU, you are likely going to want something a little faster to feed those GPU's, or at least run a higher resolution alongside those GPU's. However, for any single-card GPU, it should still be perfectly fine for meeting the needs of most current displays. 

I have my own personal gripes with Ryzen, but not because it's a "bad" gaming CPU. It's a lackluster overclocker and it's IMC is in a really bad shape at the moment. I see Sager/Clevo laptops with more memory overclocking options than Ryzen. The fact that both the C6H and X370 Taichi only have 6 ram options to change (tCL, tRCRDD, tRCWRD, tRPT, and tRAS) is more than enough to scare any enthusiast. In fact, if you want to change your tertiary timings, you have to do it blindfolded by lowering DRAM ratio and increasing the reference clock. Even then, you are completely at mercy to the ram gods to hope that A: it posts, and B: it trains properly. The only thing worse than inherently slow ram, is poorly trained ram. Oh, let's also not ignore the rounding issue. 

Oh, and it hates multi-rank kits. The more ranks you have, the lower your memory clock speed ceiling. I have no hope for a bios fixing a mistake of this size. Sorry for derailing yet another Zen thread with my IMC complaints, but the more I research it, the worse it gets. 

He seems to think it runs dual Titan X cards just fine even without needed optimizations from Motherboards manufactures, windows and gaming developers.

1 hour ago, Jahramika said:

He seems to think it runs dual Titan X cards just fine even without needed optimizations from Motherboards manufactures, windows and gaming developers.

He also didn't look at his GPU utilization most of the time. I saw those GPU's sitting at 50% and below quite often. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

On 06/03/2017 at 3:34 PM, That Norwegian Guy said:

Simply put, no.

AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-Sysbench-Single-Thread

This is what it looks like on Linux, with a proper Ryzen patch live.

Wait for Windows to fix its shit before talking about IPC.

The E3-1275 V5 Xeon is even running the exact same clock speed as the 1700X.

Not calling Microsoft Intel fanboys but don't they have some kinda of deal with Intel at the moment? Something to do with cooperation to improve performance with intel chips

The benchmarks still don't add up even when you take into account that some games favor higher core frequencies. When you look certain games like Ashes and how multicore cpus scale with that game, the Ryzen 7 just looks completely out of wack.

22 hours ago, rentaspoon said:

Not calling Microsoft Intel fanboys but don't they have some kinda of deal with Intel at the moment? Something to do with cooperation to improve performance with intel chips

Not a deal... Rememebr that AMD never had SMT on any of their chips until now, so windows is trying to treat it like an Intel chip so that's where some of the problems start but that's in windows 10 apparently since windows 7 shows better performance.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)