a look at (ry)Zen's IPC - from Excavator to KabyLake

zMeul
5 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

and thats it? does this .2ghz equate to any tangible benefit?

Not really. imo no one should buy it, atleast at that price 

Just now, Wolther said:

Not really. imo no one should buy it, atleast at that price 

ok thanks :) 

and 2400mhz ram should be fine?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

OK Serious question...

Do you think AMD knew Zen was this bad at gaming before they launched?

I mean they must of, right? I'm sure it was Linus who said they're being smart and picking their battles and during the build up they showed one demo of the 1700X vs I don't remember which Intel playing BF4 so did they deliberately try to obfuscate this information from us before the release?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

as I'm aware, only clock speeds

Pretty much only that and price, naturally. 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_1700x_review,2.html

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X - 399 USD

The next AMD Ryzen in line would be the R7 1700X, this dawg once again gets 8 cores and 16 threads but this time the turbo and base clock sit 200 MHz lower compared to the 1800X. But that means a turbo frequency of 3.80 GHz. Yes, this is pretty much the same processor, just with a lower base at 3.4 GHz and turbo frequency and yes, a lower price as you just shaved off 100 bucks. This is the processor being tested in this article.

We're following the performance metric on gaming closely though. Hopefully AMD can address that and the minute they will, we'll revisit all the gaming benchmarks. 90% of the content in this article and conclusion is similar to the 1800X as hey, the 1700X is pretty much the same thing yet clocked slightly lower.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

ok thanks :) 

and 2400mhz ram should be fine?

Yeah that's fine, although I'm assuming (could be wrong) you're talking about the ram in your sig, in which case am4 requires ddr4 memory 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OK Serious question...

Do you think AMD knew Zen was this bad at gaming before they launched?

I mean they must of, right? I'm sure it was Linus who said they're being smart and picking their battles and during the build up they showed one demo of the 1700X vs I don't remember which Intel playing BF4 so did they deliberately try to obfuscate this information from us before the release?

They obviously know the ins and outs of their cpu. They freaking developed it. We don't know what their 4 core cpus will look like so I guess that's something to keep an eye on. The frequency will be higher (since less cores = less heat) 

Just now, Wolther said:

Yeah that's fine, although I'm assuming (could be wrong) you're talking about the ram in your sig, in which case am4 requires ddr4 memory 

i know id need to get new ram

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Back in them days the Athlon K6/2 destroyed the Pentium.

Athlon K8...the first X86-64 CPU...

Back in those days, AMD was sitting in a better position where ATI was still a separate company...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Seems to be performing pretty well (around about Haswell, as expected), except in a few cases where it performs horribly. Supposedly there may be an optimization issue, and some people have suggested that thread scheduling needs some work (Maybe this is what AMD meant by Zen being optimized for windows 10 and not 7? They may release some thread scheduling optimization that improves Zen performance on windows 10, which means windows 7 will be left in the dust.), considering the CPU has 2 core complexes which adds significant latency between say, one core on 1 CCX communicating with the other core complex. I am interested to see the Zen server CPUs because they have many CCXs and the latency should be ridiculous, I wonder how AMD got around that. :P
We will wait and see, probably around the time when AMD releases R5 if Zen is actually good or not. Zen is supposed to have some Vega optimizations (infinity fabric) as well so maybe there is a use case for Zen+Radeon in the future.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Back in them days the Athlon K6/2 destroyed the Pentium.

Yep, for those who are not old enough.....

AMD Athlon was the shit back in the days, would have laughed at you if you went with intel !!! :) 

AMD Athlon with a 3dFX voodoo was awesome xD

11 minutes ago, smokefest said:

AMD Athlon was the shit back in the days, would have laughed at you if you went with intel !!! :) 

I went with a Tualatin Celly .. awesome shit back then

kept strong even after Intel released P4 

58 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I was spot on xD This is EXACTLY how I thought Ryzen would stack up xD

it was just stated that the ryzen mobo used has isssue and that it isn't the full story nor will it be for weeks. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

29 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i know id need to get new ram

you can have any speed DDR4 but ryzen will not like faster ram. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I went with a Tualatin Celly .. awesome shit back then

kept strong even after Intel released P4 

I remember my friends parents bought a 500Mhz Via C3 based PC and it was awful, my mums aging Pentium 75 was quicker than it. Shortly after my parents got an 800Mhz Athlon and every PC after was AMD based until I bought an Q6600 with my own money.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

all these numbers are nice and dandy but this is relative in IPC to an older architecture. this is is pretty hard to translate into real world results and problems. i agree that it looks bad, but i really really don't want to pull conclusions to soon and kill something before it can blossom.

19 minutes ago, tlink said:

all these numbers are nice and dandy but this is relative in IPC to an older architecture. this is is pretty hard to translate into real world results and problems. i agree that it looks bad, but i really really don't want to pull conclusions to soon and kill something before it can blossom.

there is nowhere to blossom

with CPUs, what you see is what you get

it's not like you release a new graphics driver and get couple of % perf gains in some titles

yes, AMD is capable of releasing micro-code updates to fix some of the shit, but don't expect to magically close the gap

AMD needs to get their asses in gear right now for Zen2, if they aren't already on it

AMD needs to get their asses in gear right now for Zen2, if they aren't already on it

Now I know you're just a hater.  Everyone knows it's Zen+.  Way more positive.  ;-) 

Spoiler

/L   (the L is for levity, since sarcasm is overrated. )

41 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you can have any speed DDR4 but ryzen will not like faster ram. 

but ddr4-2400mhz should be fine right?

2 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

Ah look, another thread trying to make AMD look bad. 

AMD has done that all on their own. 

A complete mess of a launch, lackluster gaming performance, seemingly limited overclocking capabilities, telling reviewers to gimp the competition, blaming performance issues on lack of optimization....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

AMD has done that all on their own. 

A complete mess of a launch, lackluster gaming performance, seemingly limited overclocking capabilities, telling reviewers to gimp the competition...

No, AMD hasn't done that. Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Intel limits bclk overclocking, no one bats an eye. AMD potentially limits overclocking and all of a sudden its a massive problem. 

Lack luster gaming performance? It's known that games like higher clock speeds. Plus they are working for dev's to increase Ryzen's performance with games. It's a new CPU, you can't expect every game to hit hundreds of FPS at launch. See GPU drivers for that. 

Telling reviewers to gimp the competition, oh wait.. That was intel. 

AMD's launch was fine, minus the mobo board issues, which isn't AMD's fault. They don't make the boards.

Do you even fanboy bro?

11 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

No, AMD hasn't done that. Everyone is making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Intel limits bclk overclocking, no one bats an eye. AMD potentially limits overclocking and all of a sudden its a massive problem. 

Lack luster gaming performance? It's known that games like higher clock speeds. Plus they are working for dev's to increase Ryzen's performance with games. It's a new CPU, you can't expect every game to hit hundreds of FPS at launch. See GPU drivers for that. 

Telling reviewers to gimp the competition, oh wait.. That was intel. 

AMD's launch was fine, minus the mobo board issues, which isn't AMD's fault. They don't make the boards.

AMD has done every single one of those things. There is no denying any of it. 

AMD didn't limit overclocking, they've pushed the factory clockspeeds to, what appears to be, the limit of the chips. So while an 1700 might have similar IPC to a 6900k, it clocks 10% lower and thus can't compete (of course, it still offers a much better price-to-performance when compared to Intel's HEDT platform, and that's great, but at the end of the day, it's not as good as AMD marketed it as). Intel blocking bclk overclocking is a dick move, but that doesn't make AMD any better for selling their chips at their max clockspeeds so that they can't possibly compete. 

It also gets outperformed by Intel's HEDT platform due to launch issues and lower overclocks -- in either event, they have been comparing it to a 6900k and saying you will get 6900k performance, meanwhile, a 6900k is faster. 

But no, Intel never told reviewers to disable features....unless you would like to provide some sources to back up that claim of yours. AMD told reviewers to disable MEC, to run in dual channel mode, and to do benchmarks so that there is a GPU bottleneck (i.e. 1440p/4k and not 1080p). AMD also specifically tailored their released leaks to make AMD look better (every company does this, but let's not pretend like AMD is a saint in this launch) -- zooming in more in the BF1 run (in order to reduce draw calls), running the Blender tests at settings far lower than anyone would realistically do, and looking at the skybox when reloading and showing more of the sky throughout the demo. 

The launch was rushed. It was 100% their fault. Mobo manufacturers only had three weeks to prepare bioses and upon launch they were sending a constant stream of tweaks to reviewers because everything was so immature. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

AMD has done every single one of those things. There is no denying any of it. 

AMD didn't limit overclocking, they've pushed the factory clockspeeds to, what appears to be, the limit of the chips. So while an 1700 might have similar IPC to a 6900k, it clocks 10% lower and thus can't compete (of course, it still offers a much better price-to-performance when compared to Intel's HEDT platform, and that's great, but at the end of the day, it's not as good as AMD marketed it as). Intel blocking bclk overclocking is a dick move, but that doesn't make AMD any better for selling their chips at their max clockspeeds so that they can't possibly compete. 

It also gets outperformed by Intel's HEDT platform due to launch issues and lower overclocks -- in either event, they have been comparing it to a 6900k and saying you will get 6900k performance, meanwhile, a 6900k is faster. 

But no, Intel never told reviewers to disable features....unless you would like to provide some sources to back up that claim of yours. AMD told reviewers to disable MEC, to run in dual channel mode, and to do benchmarks so that there is a GPU bottleneck (i.e. 1440p/4k and not 1080p). AMD also specifically tailored their released leaks to make AMD look better (every company does this, but let's not pretend like AMD is a saint in this launch) -- zooming in more in the BF1 run (in order to reduce draw calls), running the Blender tests at settings far lower than anyone would realistically do, and looking at the skybox when reloading and showing more of the sky throughout the demo. 

The launch was rushed. It was 100% their fault. Mobo manufacturers only had three weeks to prepare bioses and upon launch they were sending a constant stream of tweaks to reviewers because everything was so immature. 

"What appears to be the limit of the chip" Well I'm so sorry to those people who got the short end of the silicon lottery. It was known that the 1700x and 1800x are binned higher than the 1700. 

So.. AMD told reviewers to run memory in duel channel mode? Oh god the horror. What a crime my god AMD needs to burn for that! And the horror for wanting to use other benchmarks to show that a game wouldn't be CPU bottlenecked. Oh god how dare AMD do this!!

I'm so glad you have all this inside information about AMD giving mobo makers 3 weeks for a BIOS, even though MOBO leaks have been happening for the better part of 2 months. 

AMD didn't have a perfect launch? No one does. But lets burn them to the ground because they are AMD. 

Intel: skylake bendgate. skylake supply issues. skylake bug causes application freeze during complex workloads, haswell has USB 3 issues (fixed though) haswell overheating issues. poor TIM. 

Both sides have had issues. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

Just now, zMeul said:

-snip-

Yeah because a new CPU is expected to perform like a god when games aren't optimized for it. I wonder how many GPU issues have popped up on both sides because of driver issues? Oh wait there are so many times that's happened to Nvidia and AMD it's not funny. 

"Time to eat the Crow" 

Do you even fanboy bro?