A minicomputer for a begginer

V3t3r4n
Go to solution Solved by kasugatei,

+1 for the full sized one. With zero you will have to spend a lot more time connecting all of the dongles and you'll nee lots of adapters. Just buy regular RPi and that's it. Zeros are more intended for installation where you have limited space.

Hi,
atm I'm not an adult so in my free time I learn about programming. I really want to get into things like Raspberry Pi, Arduino, but my wallet isn't big enough. I was considering the new Raspberry Pi Zero W. What do you think about it?

I suppose it's a good place to start, but you can honestly learn programming on just about any platform. You don't need a powerful pc to do basic programming.  

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's are fun if you want to want to make little projects with them, but if you just want a Linux platform you might as well install it on a flash drive and run it on your current laptop/PC. And general can be done on a 'regular PC' too.

So what kind of projects are you looking to do?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's are fun if you want to want to make little projects with them.

Well that's what I want to do. A spotify radio etc. Just for fun.

The Raspberry PI Zero W is decent, but you'll need some cables and accessories to use it easily, such as the proper HDMI cable, a USB OTG adapter, and a USB hub that's externally powered. Sounds like a lot of the dongle life from the MacBook Pro came over to the RPi. I'd recommend getting the full size Pi. They're only $35 (if you have a USB mouse and keyboard and an HDMI cable and Micro USB power cable, you're set. You don't need the big huge "starter" packs) and they're way easier to plus things into. Plus they have ethernet.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

The cheapest way to get into electronics and programing is just use your computer with a parallel port, old style printer port card

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

23 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

The Raspberry PI Zero W is decent, but you'll need some cables and accessories to use it easily, such as the proper HDMI cable, a USB OTG adapter, and a USB hub that's externally powered. 

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w Could this be enough? I have many hdmi cables and a mini usb keyboard. The only thing I don't know is how to power it up. Some people say that a smartphone charger will be ok. What do you think?

34 minutes ago, V3t3r4n said:

https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w Could this be enough? I have many hdmi cables and a mini usb keyboard. The only thing I don't know is how to power it up. Some people say that a smartphone charger will be ok. What do you think?

Micro USB smartphone chargers are fine as long as they output enough power. That would be ok (the kit) but you'd still need an externally powered USB hub  to use more than one USB device. That's why I strongly recommend the full size ones. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

+1 for the full sized one. With zero you will have to spend a lot more time connecting all of the dongles and you'll nee lots of adapters. Just buy regular RPi and that's it. Zeros are more intended for installation where you have limited space.

If you just want to program, if you have a computer, it will do, no need for an arduino or pi. But that you mentioned arduino, it makes me think you might also be interested in electronics, in which case an arduino is fantastic, as you can get clones for extremely cheap (less than a fiver for a nano clone), and needs only a mini-b cable and whatever components you plan on using for your circuit.

The arduino can easily communicate over serial, if you then want internet connectivity or more computing power than the uC can provide