What features do you want on your cases?

oliverguy

Hi, I'm doing a design project at school and I need to collect some information about computer case design.

What I'm particularly interested in is how you would design your ideal computer case. What is it made of? How big do you want it? Do you need support for water cooling or hard drives?

Essentially if you were going to manufacture your perfect computer case what would it be?

Thank you! :)

a air 540 is perfect for me, so something

roomy

good cable management 

good cooling support with aio and big air coolers

SLI support

lots of fan support

well made

simple design  

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

a air 540 is perfect for me, so something

roomy

good cable management 

good cooling support with aio and big air coolers

SLI support

lots of fan support

well made

simple design  

Same!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

make something original never before done because if you don't then it will just be another ordinary case.

1 minute ago, Noah Vega said:

make something original never before done because if you don't then it will just be another ordinary case.

given the opportunity what kind of outlandish design or features would you have?

i want a case that is highly acousitically quiet and has thoughtful airflow designs in mind.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I'm a huge fan of very small ITX cases but for a full ATX build I like to see

clean 2.5" ssd brackets on display

2x 280mm watercooling brackets (top, front etc)

a 90 degree GPU tray for display

Stark, angular design is very popular , as are clean straight lines

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

The S340, but with less small openings especially on the back.

Sealed case = less dust.

Also, the top should be solid white instead of black with a fan hole.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Minimalist design, psu shroud/basement, good cable managment, 360mm rad support

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Think of a case that is this GPU incarnate.  sleek, gunmetal and carbon fiber with some very nice angular highlights

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition Graphics Card

FULL ATX support, HDMI passthrough to the front, brushed metal and/or tempered glass everywhere, support for water cooling, a basement that hides the PSU, HDD's (supoort for several 3.5" drives) and a hidden full 5.25" optical drive bay, so I have it when I need it but it's not in your face when you aren't using it, basically for reference, something along the line of the Inwin 904 Plus but with a brushed silver color metal like the original 904, but with full water cooling support and a proper basement.

Another reference is basically a bigger Enthoo Evolve mATX, that hides the optical drive at the back of the case, but support for ATX motherboards and watercooling while having the 5.25" bay occupied.

3 hours ago, oliverguy said:

What I'm particularly interested in is how you would design your ideal computer case.

What is it made of?

How big do you want it?

Do you need support for water cooling or hard drives?

So I'm a wee bit biased toward HTPC cases that only support mITX or mATX motherboards, simply because I'm not into hardcore overclocking which would require a larger case to accommodate 280mm radiators, or even 240mm radiators for that matter. It's just not me.

However, I do have some things I'm quite picky about:

• Made of Aluminium, preferably non-brushed because that stuff stains
  • Sizing no larger than a mid-tower, but ideally as space efficient as possible
  • HARD DRIVE SUPPORT. Holy balls, I'm getting sick of cases that don't offer storage accessories.

There's nothing wrong with lack of storage if you'd rather use the space for a large radiator or custom water cooling solution, or flat out just don't need the extra hard drive trays. But what is with these mid-tower cases that have 2x 3.5" drive bays and 2-3x 2.5" drive bays?

They're basically an inefficient design even if you throw a 280mm radiator up front, since often there's still room for mounting hard drives vertically or even horizontally to the left of the radiator between the motherboard and rad. I'm not saying these things need to be included with the base SKU, but the lack of mounting accessories for mid-tower and smaller cases is astonishing, especially since we've got all these custom watercooling parts now.

I guess I'm just one of those storage enthusiasts (https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/) who manages to cram twice the number of supported drives into cases using cardboard and 3M VHB tape. Fractal Design has got this figured out though, since they're one of the only manufacturers who seem to know how to make mid-tower and HTPC cases with room for copious amounts of hard drives.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Dust filters everywhere, Including the top (not enough cases do this). Captive thumbscrews everywhere. Support for water cooling OR hard drives, not necessarily both at the same time.  Modularity would be nice. The Vertical cable shroud idea is nice. "Show off" SSD's for the basement shroud. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

23 hours ago, kirashi said:

Fractal Design has got this figured out though, since they're one of the only manufacturers who seem to know how to make mid-tower and HTPC cases with room for copious amounts of hard drives.

Lol, this is a bit off topic but I have a Node 202 and can barely cram a 2.5" ssd in there xD

My perfect case would have

1) Awesome options for cable management, including rubber grauments

2) Tempered glass side panel

3) Huge amount of options for cooling, from air to aio to water cooling'

4) 2 hdd drive bays and one ssd, preferably on the back. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

I'm going for something like this;

Shoebox size ITX (DAN Cases A4-SFX is 7.2L)

fits a full length GPU

1 - 2 3.5" HDD's

1 - 2 2.5" SSD's

a 240 or JUST possibly a thin 360 watercooler

Full Length GPU support

4 x USB C 3.1 Type A at front panel

along with headphone/mic combo port at front

sleek, stylish, like the DAN Cases A4-SFX ( I might just get an A4-SFX and mod the front panel), preferably with a carry handle like the Lian-Li TU-100/200.

i will go with node 202 design but with all metal construction