Humans need not apply

ChillyPepperGuy

So recently I watched this video called Humans Need not Apply. Its mostly about the inevitable fact that robots and computers will replace jobs.  I ended up thinking about a sulution to the problem and a was wondering what other people thought of the problem and what a possible solution may be.

Well just switch off the robots obviously. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

This is just the industrial revolution all over again, a lot of jobs will be replaced by robots and new ones will take their place as humanity suddenly doesn't have to focus on those replaced jobs anymore.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

I kinda like the idea of entry level jobs being taken over by robots. 

Some people are completely satisfied with their entry-level jobs, and this type of labor may be the only type that they are capable of.

sold

Wouldn't it be great it robots took over EVERY job, but that would only work if all "profits" got distributed evenly throughout every human being. Then everyone would have 24/7 free time. Time to focus on hobbies, time to spend with family and friends.

Like that will ever happen.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Robots and computers can't replace every job, or we won't let it replace every job.

I mean, can a robot fix Linus's server organization problems?

Furthermore, can robots steal Valerie prototypes

9 minutes ago, mcaldwell said:

So recently I watched this video called Humans Need not Apply. Its mostly about the inevitable fact that robots and computers will replace jobs.  I ended up thinking about a sulution to the problem and a was wondering what other people thought of the problem and what a possible solution may be.

Well, there's a few solutions to this problem, depending on how much of a problem you think it is, or whether you think it is a problem at all.

It's a big problem:

• Stop asking for more money. Expensive and hard to maintain robots won't be cheaper than employing you if you stop trying to force businesses to give you $15/hr for jobs like fast food work. Instead, focus on lowering the cost of living (coincidentally, part of lowering the cost of living is lowering how much entry level jobs are paid).

It's somewhat of a problem:

• Most likely for a very long time (100's of years) we will not see most jobs taken over by robots anyway. There's various reasons for this, not the least of which is that a robot probably won't know how to respond to an emergency in the workplace, which increases the risk of a business owner loosing everything.

It's not a problem at all:

• Then why are we talking about it? If we are building more technology, then the number of technological jobs will increase anyway, probably mostly making up for the lack of basic jobs.

In reality, the situation is very complex. Most likely there will be some robots that replace aspects of certain jobs (think about the process of making french fries, from planting potato to serving to the McDonalds customer), and humans that have to do other aspects. Robots will probably never be able to repair much of anything (atleast for a very very long time), they won't be very good at handling customer complaints, and they won't be very good at handling emergency situations.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I think that using robots for low-level (or entry level or whatever you want to call it) jobs might look like a good idea, making these more efficient (I mean jobs like garbage collection, public service maintenance and so on).

Problem is, IMO, this could cause serious issues. What if the companies who will create these robots leave backdoors in the software for information gathering and selling? What if black hat teams fuck up a country-wide system of robots, crippling society by cutting the off from basic needs?

and yeah, I did watch all of Black Mirror :D 

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

The other thing with robots is that we haven't built a general purpose robot. All robots that we have built are special purpose and can only do one task (and minor variations thereof) well. Also, at the moment, robots only really serve to help with repetitive tasks. Robots are too expensive for one-off requests.

6 minutes ago, Equilibrium_FOOL said:

Some people are completely satisfied with their entry-level jobs, and this type of labor may be the only type that they are capable of.

Survival of the fittest, if they are only capable at doing entry level jobs and can't adapt and learn other skill-sets than they will suffer and eventually be phased out of society. 

3 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Most likely for a very long time (100's of years) we will not see most jobs taken over by robots anyway. There's various reasons for this, not the least of which is that a robot probably won't know how to respond to an emergency in the workplace, which increases the risk of a business owner loosing everything.

It won't take "hundreds of years" . the transportation industry is the largest industry in the us holding more then 3 million jobs. these jobs are quite close to being taken by self-driving cars and thing similar to them 

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The other thing with robots is that we haven't built a general purpose robot. All robots that we have built are special purpose and can only do one task (and minor variations thereof) well. Also, at the moment, robots only really serve to help with repetitive tasks. Robots are too expensive for one-off requests.

starting at 1:05 

11 minutes ago, mcaldwell said:

It won't take "hundreds of years" . the transportation industry is the largest industry in the us holding more then 3 million jobs. these jobs are quite close to being taken by self-driving cars and thing similar to them 

They aren't anywhere near being taken by completely self driving, no humans on board, vehicles. Even if the technology was good enough to handle driving around in a construction zone (which it isn't) we still have extremely huge political hurdles to overcome about that. 

When we are thinking of self driving cars anytime in the forseeable future, we need to be thinking about capabilities similar to John Deere's autotrac, with a little less setup required (basically, complex maneuvers will still require human control or case specific human programming).

5 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Survival of the fittest, if they are only capable at doing entry level jobs and can't adapt and learn other skill-sets than they will suffer and eventually be phased out of society. 

nobody is in an entry level job forever. It's a basis to then move onto a higher paid/experience job. 

McDonald's doesn't pay much, but for a young lad it'll do. Could even serve as a second job part time, maybe during schooling or taking a year out. 

"Survival of the fittest" fucking lol'd there. Good job kid. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It's one thing when they start replacing the front line low-level service jobs like starbucks and mcdonalds cashier person, but eventually there will be robots good enough to replace janitors, and AIs good enough to replace lawyers and engineers and stuff :/ 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

They aren't anywhere near being taken by completely self driving, no humans on board, vehicles. Even if the technology was good enough to handle driving around in a construction zone (which it isn't) we still have extremely huge political hurdles to overcome about that. 

When we are thinking of self driving cars anytime in the forseeable future, we need to be thinking about capabilities similar to John Deere's autotrac, with a little less setup required (basically, complex maneuvers will still require human control).

i'm not talking about construction vehicles but things like taxis and trucks used un public roads for the transportation of people and goods 

13 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

xD wow, well, that's certainly one solution I suppose.  Not sure how well society will function with hundreds of millions of people basically starving to death in the streets though...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Someone told me recently that if you work at a white collar job, someone is developing software/hardware to replace you. 

I honestly think that worst case scenario, we see a giant shift to computerized workers within the next few decades (for a lot of fields, the tech isnt there yet). Best case scenario, only a small percentage is displaced (this seems to be the most likely scenario) as this is starting to happen at many entry level stuff. By me the bulk of bank tellers, customer service agents, cashiers are have been replaced with atms, and self serve options. 

In terms of jobs that'll survive, blue collar jobs will survive the longest.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

32 minutes ago, Centurius said:

This is just the industrial revolution all over again, a lot of jobs will be replaced by robots and new ones will take their place as humanity suddenly doesn't have to focus on those replaced jobs anymore.

I would agree with this idea but general purpose robotics could result in machines capable of doing everything humans could do besides design/creative tasks (and even that isn't out of the question) and it is quite clear not everyone can do said thing and that the market for creatives is limited

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, mcaldwell said:

i'm not talking about construction vehicles but things like taxis and trucks used un public roads for the transportation of people and goods 

You missed my point. Those vehicles will eventually get somewhere where they will be required to do something far to complex for a self driving car to do safely. Let me repeat: No matter what Tesla tells you, we are a LOOOOONGGGGGGGG ways away from completely self driving, no human input required, general purpose vehicles. Even if we were close to having the required technology, which we aren't (even though it seems like we are), there are still MAJOR political hurdles to overcome.

28 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

phased out of society.

lmao what the hell does that even MEAN?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d  Motherboard:  Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite  RAM:  Vengeance 2 x 16GB DDR5 6000   GPU:  Zotac RTX 4090

Storage:  M.2 Samsung Evo 860 TB / Samsung Evo 840 500GB   Case:  be quiet Dark Base 900   PSU: Corsair SHIFT RM1000x  Display:  ASUS AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" 3440x1440 Ultrawide w/ GSYNC

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

nobody is in an entry level job forever. It's a basis to then move onto a higher paid/experience job. 

McDonald's doesn't pay much, but for a young lad it'll do. Could even serve as a second job part time, maybe during schooling or taking a year out. 

"Survival of the fittest" fucking lol'd there. Good job kid. 

You'll be surprised how many grown adults I see still working in an entry level job because they have no other skill sets. 

I've even seen people who can't even get an entry level job.

It may be a stepping stone for some, but it's a permanent solution for others. 

Lets continue with your example of McDonald

Second Job: If you don't get paid enough at the first job, then take the time you would have used working for McDonald and spend it on studies and expanding your skill-set so you can find another job that gives you better pay rate and replace the primary job. 

Young Lad: they should be more focused on studies and less on money....ideally. Heck, going for a payed internship is better than working at a McDonalds. 

17 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Someone told me recently that if you work at a white collar job, someone is developing software/hardware to replace you. 

I honestly think that worst case scenario, we see a giant shift to computerized workers within the next few decades (for a lot of fields, the tech isnt there yet). Best case scenario, only a small percentage is displaced (this seems to be the most likely scenario) as this is starting to happen at many entry level stuff. By me the bulk of bank tellers, customer service agents, cashiers are have been replaced with atms, and self serve options. 

In terms of jobs that'll survive, blue collar jobs will survive the longest.

I agree.  It seems counter intuitive, but I think the jobs that require a lot of physical work will actually survive longer, especially if what they do is highly variable.  Building robots to do that kind of work will be ultimately harder than making an AI for the "thinking jobs".... eventually.