Intel Responses to Ryzen

43 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But dude... Haven't you heard the leaks?

Ryzen will:
Match or only be ~5% behind Intel across the board.

Have 8 cores and 16 threads for the price of a quad core from Intel.

Overclock really well.

Have a lower TDP and therefore use less power and run cooler than Intel's CPUs.

And AMD will do this on their first attempt!

Clearly Intel will be ruined and everyone's expectations for Ryzen will be met!

Polaris writ larger? Let me construct a bigger fallout shelter. 

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But dude... Haven't you heard the leaks?

Ryzen will:
Match or only be ~5% behind Intel across the board.

Have 8 cores and 16 threads for the price of a quad core from Intel.

Overclock really well.

Have a lower TDP and therefore use less power and run cooler than Intel's CPUs.

And AMD will do this on their first attempt!

Clearly Intel will be ruined and everyone's expectations for Ryzen will be met!

Time-Is-Now-When-Pigs-Fly-T-Shirt-Tee-sq

yeah-right-3vj4jh.jpg

Invest now while you can, Flying Pigs Enterprises Ltd is about to take off. 

9 hours ago, MageTank said:

The title AMD absolutely hates being referred to as, but as of now, is forced to embrace it. If you can name a single thing Ryzen has made Intel do "in a panic", i'd be more inclined to believe you. Otherwise, you are merely buying into the hype that every hardware review website is spreading to earn clicks. 

I am not talking about CanonLake or Coffee or whatever, they are going to release higher clocked 7th Gen 7700K and 7600K I think 7640K and 7740K and that move by itself shows very much concern.

I am not saying that AMD is by miracle better to Intel, but they have cut expenses to the manufacturing R&D and CPU Desktop innovation in order to do other things.

Also the fact thatAMD is a newcomer to 14nm doesn;t mean anything, 14nm is standard for several years now, the problem would be 10nm as Intel has proven, cause they can not move to 10nm successfully or else they would do it with the 8th Gen and that is the resulkt of cutting funding to R&D and giving dividends  to shareholders, but if Intel doesn't change within 2 years AMD will be a very very strong rival for at least half a decade, in which case Intel will do the comeback.

3 hours ago, Questycasos said:

Haven't there been rumors of Cannonlake raising the consumer i7 core count to 6? That would leave the 4/8 thread SKUs for i5s. Combine that with what MageTank already mentioned and I feel like that whole 7740k and 7640k thing was just some wires from earlier rumors getting crossed the wrong way. Because the "7640k" being a Cannonlake i5 and the "7740k" being that weird Kaby Lake HEDT quad-core makes a lot more sense than Intel releasing them under the same family, since the i5 would kill sales of the i7.

There have already been 6, 8 & 10 core i7s with the previous generation(s).  There has never been an i5 with hyperthreading.  A Quadcore /w HT in the i5 price range is what people want, and its precisely what intel won't allow so they can rake in the i7 $ from more people by forcing them into that class for as long as possible.

I hope Ryzen is good and Intel uses some years to tackle Ryzen, at least two.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, MoonSpot said:

There have already been 6, 8 & 10 core i7s with the previous generation(s).  There has never been an i5 with hyperthreading.  A Quadcore /w HT in the i5 price range is what people want, and its precisely what intel won't allow so they can rake in the i7 $ from more people by forcing them into that class for as long as possible.

I want a 6 core with hyperthreading for the price of Intel's current hyperthreaded quad core.

I am sick and tired of quad cores being seen as "high end" (unless you move up to the enthusiast/HEDT platform, which Intel only update every once in a while).

The simplest solution is wait for the finalied samples to arrive to youtube reviewers, allow them to test these in liquid and air environments with graphical benchmarks and demanding videogames, analyse the prices in each country and if possible order online to get lower shipping costs if local stores cant handle that and get whichever fits your budget, dream and "future durability".

No need to become worried about which one will be better than the next :p, because in Intel we can trust they will deliver a solid peformance for videogamers and enthusiasts alike, albeit for a high cost, where AMD has so much to prove but seems to be heading in the right way, packaging including. 2017 should be known as the year where mobile processors were unable to reach 10nm in construction scale, but AMD has been reborn and Intel has been reforged.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, JamieOlive said:

I am not talking about CanonLake or Coffee or whatever, they are going to release higher clocked 7th Gen 7700K and 7600K I think 7640K and 7740K and that move by itself shows very much concern.

I am not saying that AMD is by miracle better to Intel, but they have cut expenses to the manufacturing R&D and CPU Desktop innovation in order to do other things.

Also the fact thatAMD is a newcomer to 14nm doesn;t mean anything, 14nm is standard for several years now, the problem would be 10nm as Intel has proven, cause they can not move to 10nm successfully or else they would do it with the 8th Gen and that is the resulkt of cutting funding to R&D and giving dividends  to shareholders, but if Intel doesn't change within 2 years AMD will be a very very strong rival for at least half a decade, in which case Intel will do the comeback.

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions without presenting any real facts. Again, we don't know if the 7640k and 7740k are answers to Ryzen. We still don't even know which platform these SKU's are designated for, because they are still rumors. Your entire point is hinged on rumors, which doesn't hold up very well. You assume the failure to hit 10nm on time is a result of the R&D cut, but said cut didn't happen until last year. They were likely already researching 10nm before that (just as they are already researching 7nm solutions now). You also can't possibly know that the cuts were made for the sake of the shareholders. Unless you have a source for that. 

I'll reiterate once more that the 7640k and 7740k rumors were announced before the Ryzen benches and prices were released. If these chips were actually made out of concern for Ryzen, we wouldn't have heard of them months ago, back when Ryzen was nothing more than a name. Take a step back from the hype, and look at the situation rationally. Intel has plenty of options to compete with AMD, none of which requires a new CPU. They have no need to be afraid of AMD yet, and they certainly are not going to be the underdogs in this fight. Intel could sell their CPU's at a loss, and still survive for years to come if they truly wanted to, but seeing as they can charge a premium for higher performance, they won't have to. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

57 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I want a 6 core with hyperthreading for the price of Intel's current hyperthreaded quad core.

I am sick and tired of quad cores being seen as "high end" (unless you move up to the enthusiast/HEDT platform, which Intel only update every once in a while).

So you want the 5820k?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

On 2/19/2017 at 10:13 PM, AresKrieger said:

Pretty sure we can say that with certainty, otherwise amd would go down in flames.

In all seriousness I suspect it to be better than haswell and worse than skylake, which for most people isn't good enough but they may sell ~i7  for ~i5 prices or something like that to compensate however they said they don't want to be the bargin bin brand so this strategy is contrary to their statement.

https://videocardz.com/66182/amd-radeon-7-1700x-pictured-and-tested

On 2/19/2017 at 10:31 PM, AresKrieger said:

It is rather funny that kaby lake isn't even 15% better than haswell XD, and it is literally a 0% per clock improvement from skylake, though it is clear they want to grab mobile and server sale rather than consumer

Pretty sure we can say that with certainty, otherwise amd would go down in flames.

In all seriousness I suspect it to be better than haswell and worse than skylake, which for most people isn't good enough but they may sell ~i7  for ~i5 prices or something like that to compensate however they said they don't want to be the bargain bin brand so this strategy is contrary to their statement.

Now you say that is not even 15% better than Haswell. So you also say Ryzen is somewhere between HAswell and Skylake and still not good enough. You sure talk a bunch of shit

On 2/20/2017 at 2:52 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

its not tho, its 14nm

from the listings iv seen(there was a Swedish store listing for Ryzen chips) they said a max supported speed of 2100MHz which is a bit low compared to the base frequency supported by Intel chips but that probably dosent mean much in the end

Can read right on Asus X370 box 3600 +, MSI Box X370 4000+. AMD officially already stated max memory clock of 2400 

23 hours ago, JoseGuya said:

I hope someone could pressure Intel to give up the x86 license, maybe Apple could, threatening to switch ISA again, to ARM probably.

Who is onna pressure AMD to give up its IP X64? Such fanboy

1 minute ago, Jahramika said:

Who is onna pressure AMD to give up its IP X64? Such fanboy

Fanboy? Really?  Sigh.. I never owned anything AMD, really, never. 

1 minute ago, Jahramika said:

Didn't know it was launch day where I could get verifiable benches (and if you look closely the voltage numbers in one of the test makes no sense), we'll see its performance when it launches these "leaks" mean nothing to me as the bulldozer line of CPUs was also rumored to be amazing then turned out to be god awful.

7 minutes ago, Jahramika said:

Now you say that is not even 15% better than Haswell. So you also say Ryzen is somewhere between HAswell and Skylake and still not good enough. You sure talk a bunch of shit

Overall performance not ipc, ie the extra cores will help make up for lower performance per core which is generally amd's strategy in recent memory also use the multiquote function as the thread becomes a mess otherwise

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

14 hours ago, MageTank said:

What are you on about? First of all, Cannonlake isn't a response to Ryzen at all, it's only going to bring 15w mobile SKU's. Second of all, Cannonlake (and Coffelake for that matter) were on Intel's roadmap long before the Ryzen info we have, existed. Intel has followed the same annual pattern for a long time now, and AMD won't change that. Intel isn't scared that AMD will exceed their performance, and certainly doesn't need a new CPU to combat that threat. They can simply reduce their prices to be slightly competitive, with their superior performance. If you think AMD is going to jump from 28nm down to 14nm AND beat Intel, the more experienced 14nm manufacturer on their first try, you are asking for too much.

At best, AMD will release cheaper alternatives that offer comparable performance for a lower cost. The cheaper option if you will. The title AMD absolutely hates being referred to as, but as of now, is forced to embrace it. If you can name a single thing Ryzen has made Intel do "in a panic", i'd be more inclined to believe you. Otherwise, you are merely buying into the hype that every hardware review website is spreading to earn clicks. 

When was the last time and I3 had Hyperthreading? Not a response to AMD? You are blind or just a hommer for Intel.

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions without presenting any real facts. Again, we don't know if the 7640k and 7740k are answers to Ryzen. We still don't even know which platform these SKU's are designated for, because they are still rumors. Your entire point is hinged on rumors, which doesn't hold up very well. You assume the failure to hit 10nm on time is a result of the R&D cut, but said cut didn't happen until last year. They were likely already researching 10nm before that (just as they are already researching 7nm solutions now). You also can't possibly know that the cuts were made for the sake of the shareholders. Unless you have a source for that. 

I'll reiterate once more that the 7640k and 7740k rumors were announced before the Ryzen benches and prices were released. If these chips were actually made out of concern for Ryzen, we wouldn't have heard of them months ago, back when Ryzen was nothing more than a name. Take a step back from the hype, and look at the situation rationally. Intel has plenty of options to compete with AMD, none of which requires a new CPU. They have no need to be afraid of AMD yet, and they certainly are not going to be the underdogs in this fight. Intel could sell their CPU's at a loss, and still survive for years to come if they truly wanted to, but seeing as they can charge a premium for higher performance, they won't have to.

Alright, I give you that all my assumptions are just that, assumptions, as is yours that AMD won't be able to threaten Intel. We both need to wait and see the actual results, as AMD has done in the past, "hype hype hype and no result" but we have 2017 now and AMD wouldn't release something stupid now cause they are on their last breaths, it is neither 2007 nor 2011 or 2013, cause their release date have postpont at least once in my knowledge by several months.

About the fact that INtel releasing new CPUs one month prior to Ryzen leaks, I wouldn't hold much to it, cause I bet you INtel has some Ryzen CPUs on their hands for quite some time, and opposition research should have made comparisons on Intel labs months ago.

Also, the cuts may have strated 1 year ago, but the whole proccess of cutting on Desktop R&D was made more than 2 years ago, you can either stop a portion of the funding to some project or rellocate a percentage of the original budget to another, that is what INtel is doing for almost 2,5 years now.

Finally your idea that Intel can take a loss, and believe me I think it will take them around 1,5 years before they make something revolutionary just to crush AMD once and for all but I don't believe they can take a loss for more than 6 months especially if the 8th Gen CPUs prove underwellming"Not rubbish i point it out, just  not a very good leap from Gen to Gen" Intel will have serious Revenue problem.

Their CPUs revenue share is just the tipo of the iceberg, think Laptop manufactrurers, going Red instead of blue "although that will take a little more time", plotforms competing each other, cause I bet my ass AMD will not sit on their asses either if this thing takes traction and much much more.

To sum it all up we both need Ryzen to succeed, I personally don't take sides in such arguments, I believe that if Ryzen takes a significant market share Intel will produce some result, I want to see a war for a few years, the market needs it, just as Nvidia with AMD we need the fight, as plain as that.!!!

2 hours ago, Jahramika said:

When was the last time and I3 had Hyperthreading? Not a response to AMD? You are blind or just a hommer for Intel.

Since, ehhh, forever?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

So you want the 5820k?

No.

The 5820K is still quite a bit more expensive than the 7700K (at least in Sweden).

The 5820K is on a more expensive platform (both the motherboards and the RAM ends up being more expensive).

The 5820K is based on an architecture that's 4 years old at this point.

1 hour ago, Tomsen said:

Since, ehhh, forever?

Aha! He got you now!

You are clearly wrong since hyperthreaded i3s have only existed for the last 7 years. Sure, that's when they first started using the i3 branding, but 7 years is clearly less than forever!

(He is probably thinking of the hyperthreaded Pentium)

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Aha! He got you now!

You are clearly wrong since hyperthreaded i3s have only existed for the last 7 years. Sure, that's when they first started using the i3 branding, but 7 years is clearly less than forever!

Yeah I figured. However that could simply be because Intel saw how popular the unlocked pentium edition got.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No.

The 5820K is still quite a bit more expensive than the 7700K (at least in Sweden).

The 5820K is on a more expensive platform (both the motherboards and the RAM ends up being more expensive).

The 5820K is based on an architecture that's 4 years old at this point.

Aha! He got you now!

Don't get picky now, you said you just wanted the hexacore w/hyperthreading at the cost of intel's new quad. You didn't say anything about overhead costs like flying to America and going to the microcenter in Ohio where the 5820k and 7700k are the same price.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 hours ago, Jahramika said:

Can read right on Asus X370 box 3600 +, MSI Box X370 4000+. AMD officially already stated max memory clock of 2400 

hmm guess thats what you get for first gen of something. im pretty sure there is going to be motherboards that allow you to run 3000MHz+ though towards that high end, probably some EVGA Carbon board or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

24 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Yeah I figured. However that could simply be because Intel saw how popular the unlocked pentium edition got.

Intel should quit this whole locking OC deal, I miss back in the Core2Duo / Core2Quad when any processor and any motherboard could overclock for free gains.

Nowadays overclocking requires so much extra investments, right motherboard which usually is the double of the price of normal B and H boards, aftermarket cooling, delidding and so on.... in my opinion nowadays overclocking only makes sense if its an i7 since the cost of overclocking the lower tiers compared to the end performance you are much better off going straight with the locked i7.

Intel should really stop trying to make what should be normal a premium feature honestly... And youtubers should stop leading noobs to bad money management by making overpriced i5 6600k/7600k builds only because the ´´cool kids´´ should overclock when a b250+i7 7700 will have superior performance for even cheaper when not the same cost depending on the country market.

Imagine if nVidia decided that to overclock a GPU you need Z boards too all of sudden, they force extra costs on the consumers for no good reason but to gain extras since there is so little competition.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 hours ago, JamieOlive said:

Alright, I give you that all my assumptions are just that, assumptions, as is yours that AMD won't be able to threaten Intel. We both need to wait and see the actual results, as AMD has done in the past, "hype hype hype and no result" but we have 2017 now and AMD wouldn't release something stupid now cause they are on their last breaths, it is neither 2007 nor 2011 or 2013, cause their release date have postpont at least once in my knowledge by several months.

About the fact that INtel releasing new CPUs one month prior to Ryzen leaks, I wouldn't hold much to it, cause I bet you INtel has some Ryzen CPUs on their hands for quite some time, and opposition research should have made comparisons on Intel labs months ago.

Also, the cuts may have strated 1 year ago, but the whole proccess of cutting on Desktop R&D was made more than 2 years ago, you can either stop a portion of the funding to some project or rellocate a percentage of the original budget to another, that is what INtel is doing for almost 2,5 years now.

Finally your idea that Intel can take a loss, and believe me I think it will take them around 1,5 years before they make something revolutionary just to crush AMD once and for all but I don't believe they can take a loss for more than 6 months especially if the 8th Gen CPUs prove underwellming"Not rubbish i point it out, just  not a very good leap from Gen to Gen" Intel will have serious Revenue problem.

Their CPUs revenue share is just the tipo of the iceberg, think Laptop manufactrurers, going Red instead of blue "although that will take a little more time", plotforms competing each other, cause I bet my ass AMD will not sit on their asses either if this thing takes traction and much much more.

To sum it all up we both need Ryzen to succeed, I personally don't take sides in such arguments, I believe that if Ryzen takes a significant market share Intel will produce some result, I want to see a war for a few years, the market needs it, just as Nvidia with AMD we need the fight, as plain as that.!!!

Fair enough.

10 hours ago, Jahramika said:

I am going to assume you meant unlocked, instead of hyperthreading (which makes your comment about blindness extremely ironic) to which i'll say: this was leaked and released before the copious amounts of Ryzen leaks we've seen. You cannot call it a response if it's done beforehand. At best, you can call it a preemptive move. Call me all the names you want, it changes nothing. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.