Youtube's Unskippable 30-second Ads Are Going Away

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Why not remove all ads entirely? 

That'll work just fine! 

Oh wait, Servers cost money... 

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Slightly annoying but i just mute the tab and use the time for other things

Or just press F5, so that you get a skippable ad, wait 5 seconds then skip it.

It's not hard....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Kloaked said:

Yes. Creators gotta eat.

Yeah they'll do alright without my 100th of a cent. 

1 minute ago, dexT said:

Yeah they'll do alright without my 100th of a cent. 

You and tons of other people think that, which adds up.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

But the thing is that most people won't do it. It's like piracy -- the people who pirate content generally wouldn't have paid to watch it anyway. So if everyone blocked ads, then sure, it would matter, but most people wouldn't.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Pressing a single key is definitely easy...

How lazy are you?? xD

On mobile press back and click the video again?

It will reload a new add which isn't unskippable.

But that's a whole keystroke. Might as well ask me to serve you the moon on a silver platter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I'm not willing to risk accidentally clicking an ad injected with malware.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But the thing is that most people won't do it. It's like piracy -- the people who pirate content generally wouldn't have paid to watch it anyway.

I think that form of piracy isn't a close enough analogy in this case, in my opinion. You're not paying anything except a few seconds of your time for something you're getting for "free" anyways.

Just now, dexT said:

I personally think this argument is just some token people use. Yes, some ads can be malicious but those are very few and are on certain websites that are sketchy anyways. I don't think you're going to be clicking on a malicious ad on Youtube.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I personally think this argument is just some token people use. Yes, some ads can be malicious but those are very few and are on certain websites that are sketchy anyways. I don't think you're going to be clicking on a malicious ad on Youtube.

It's certainly possible.

I'd more welcome them not throttling the video stream. I get approx 52Mbps download max, and of that I get within 95% max all the time. I can guarantee that I am the sole user of the bandwidth in my house when I watch youtube vids early mornings, yet when I watch a video stream on youtube the video often gets lagged and stutters or pauses outright while waiting for the video to buffer. I don't get that anywhere else that I frequently visit. And when I get the problems on youtube, I automatically test my network connection and check my router etc for users that shouldn't be there.. and everything is fine every time. It's bollocks that youtube does this, the streams on 1080p settings are compressed enough that it probably uses like 5Mbps max, yet a user that can get 52Mbps gets stuttery, fucked up video playback... OK, I know that the video itself might be being viewed by many thousands of people at a time, but seriously this is a multi-billion dollar company here, and your main purpose is serving vids, pull your head out of your asses and do something about the lag/buffering.

And on the main topic... just use a VPN if you can. I use a different language server than my own, so don't care what the adverts are, as I can't read/speak that language, so can do something else while waiting for my normal language video to kick in, lol :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:
  • They're as shit not like the 5 minutes of constant ads you get on actual TV.
  • People get it wrapped up in their heads that the internet is "free", so everything on it should be "free", when it's not.
  • You're right - if TV networks had ads similar to Dollar Shave Club's ad, maybe I'd enjoy them, but until then, nope.
  • For me, it's not about the "free internet pitchfork mob" mentality - it's about unreasonable bandwidth caps. (see reply below)
3 hours ago, Kloaked said:

The problem for me personally is that it used up data for me when I just wanted to watch a quick video.

This. Until bandwidth caps becomes more reasonable (or are eliminated), we're essentially paying our ISP's to watch advertisements.

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

YouTube on TV doesn't have adblocker rip

You're right, but my router does. :D Adblocking for ALL the things!

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Any regular 21st century mobile phone plan can load a youtube video in seconds...........

Except when you're not located in a large metropolitan city. And even when I visit relative in Vancouver, my phone still takes 5-15 seconds to smoothly stream any type of video content due to latency. @dalekphalm sums it up quite nicely below:

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

...people worldwide still have issues with terrible cell reception.

Is this the fault of their Carrier? Yep.

Can the user do anything about it? Generally no.

Hell, even in Canada, there are lots of dead zones and areas with crappy cell reception. Especially in the more rural areas.

This is true, even in medium sized cities where cell reception is actually a decent 4-5 bars most of the time. Where I'm located, there are random stretches of road where you'll drop down to 1 bar, or flat-out receive no service at all. Or, if you're really lucky, you'll connect to a tower over in Sechelt, BC and be charged out the butt for "long distance" if you don't happen to have a newer plan with it included.

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Is a 900MHz phone also mobile phone?

You're technically correct - the best kind of correct.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

It's not hard....

We shouldn't have to pay for more bandwidth just to skip an ad. In fact, ads shouldn't count toward bandwidth at all. That's the same as paying a lot of money for high end clothing simply because it has a brand name logo on it. If you like it, then great! I'm happy for you, enjoy it. I, however, believe we should pay far less if clothing has branding on it since we're effectively advertising for free, similar to how we are paying our ISPs for bandwidth to watch ads.

1 hour ago, dexT said:

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

Nope, it's happened before, and it will happen again. A recent snafu with Spotify's Free platform actually just experienced this. IT was reported that a malicious banner ad managed to slip its' way past the advertising networks and into the Spotify Free ad rotation. I do not want to go into further details about this subject, but you can certain find reports all over the internet. https://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/16/10/09/208249/a-spotify-ad-slipped-malware-onto-pcs-and-macs

This isn't limited to Spotify however; even legitimate Technology Blogs have advertisements purporting "Free PC Tune Ups" and "Problems with your PC? Click here!" to innocent victims looking for advice for a problem. On one hand, this is a user awareness problem. On the other, at what point do we say Hey, wait a minute; this isn't just misleading, it's morally wrong and about the equivalent of a fake steak knife salesmanSo yeah, as @dexT said, I too am not willing to wade through potentially malicious advertisements, and I sure as heck am not going to let my residential or small business clients do so either.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I'm ok with preroll ads, im ok with ending ads, but I am disliking this bullshit everyone is doing of throwing ads in an arbitrary location within the middle or 3/4 portion of the video. It's annoying as fuck.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I block all ads, can't stand any of them. If someone wants me to watch a you tube ad, the youtuber has to do it themselves.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

It's not hard....

i've had bad luck with this recently. All the ads I get when refreshing are the same.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

I think you might be special, or you might be getting scammed by your ISP.

Nobody else has an issue of it taking half a minute to load a video, and unskippable ads are so rare that it pretty much doesn't matter since you can just refresh the page.

I think this is more of a problem of 1) you having the worst mobile internet speeds in the world and 2) you not being too impatient or lazy to refresh a page. :P

Wow. Are you OK? Mobile speeds aren't always consistent. Some places here in NZ have close to 120Mbps and then some places drop to like 2 or 3 Mbps on 3G. You must not commute a lot if you consistently have fast mobile internet. 

3 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Wow. Are you OK? Mobile speeds aren't always consistent. Some places here in NZ have close to 120Mbps and then some places drop to like 2 or 3 Mbps on 3G. You must not commute a lot if you consistently have fast mobile internet. 

On 2mbps it should not take 30 seconds for a youtube video to start loading...

You need like 20kbps for a youtube video to take half a minute to play.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

On 2mbps it should not take 30 seconds for a youtube video to start loading...

You need like 20kbps for a youtube video to take half a minute to play.

No. You have never used a 2Mbps connection have you? I have. I had a 2Mbps connection with like 40 ping as my HOME internet and YouTube hardly worked. 

Stop. Talking. About. Things. You. Don't. Know. About. 

2 minutes ago, TechGod said:

No. You have never used a 2Mbps connection have you? I have. I had a 2Mbps connection with like 40 ping as my HOME internet and YouTube hardly worked. 

Stop. Talking. About. Things. You. Don't. Know. About. 

Yes I have.

Obviously if you try to watch at 1080p it will be pretty slow, but the video still loads.

Maybe you don't understand what loading means?

It's when your youtube player is black with a circle in the middle and you can't press play, that's when it's loading.

This does not happen on a 2mbps connection, the video loads in a few seconds, usually less than a second, and you can immediately press play.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Yes I have.

Obviously if you try to watch at 1080p it will be pretty slow, but the video still loads.

Maybe you don't understand what loading means?

It's when your youtube player is black with a circle in the middle and you can't press play, that's when it's loading.

This does not happen on a 2mbps connection, the video loads in a few seconds, usually less than a second, and you can immediately press play.

Do you think I'm dumb? I live in NZ. A 2Mbps connection caused buffering. It's because America probably has YouTube servers everywhere for streaming but guess what? Not everyone has servers close to them. 

4 hours ago, Prysin said:

what about this second?

or this?

download (5).jpg

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

9 minutes ago, TechGod said:

Do you think I'm dumb? I live in NZ. A 2Mbps connection caused buffering. It's because America probably has YouTube servers everywhere for streaming but guess what? Not everyone has servers close to them. 

Again, you need to watch on a lower quality setting to prevent buffering.

But what we're talking about here is not buffering, it is the video loading, they are two different things.

Loading is what happens when you click on a video and it takes you to a watch page and you need to wait a second before pressing the play button.

It does not take 30 seconds for a video to load on a 2mbps connection.

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Kloaked said:

I hope they update the Youtube Android app to the iPhone version. Boy oh boy would that be the best decision ever

Which one do you think it better? I only really use the iOS app on my iPad. Never spend more than a handful o minutes a month using YouTube on my android phone.

I know that there are plenty of things I dislike about YouTube on iOS, many of which didn't use to exist until Google decided to change stuff for no apparent reason. I find comments in general really retarded right now, especially on desktop. Before It would open the conversation in it's own window. Now you need to go to the video, load it for no reason and then it shows you just the single reply and you have to click to expand the whole conversation. So stupid.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I'm not sure how deeply rooted this problem is.

It's easy to point the finger at any one entity, but in the end, I think it's an amalgamation of issues with media in general. Perhaps even some socioeconomic factors.

I think if Google wants more people to view their ads, they need  to develop a better way of delivering them, simply.

I don't necessarily support piracy, or not supporting free-platforms, but I can understand it in some cases. You know? I think piracy and ad-blocking are their own problems to solve, but I also acknowledge delivery, and content as a problem as well. I think it's sort of self-perpetuating in that sense. Money is being lost because there is an alternative, and because people are more inclined to seek it out than live with the original.

The other problem is that fixing it is going to require a large initial investment, and when all these companies are losing money, that's only becoming more and more difficult.

I dunno, man.

Maybe it's time to colonize Mars.

32 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Which one do you think it better? I only really use the iOS app on my iPad. Never spend more than a handful o minutes a month using YouTube on my android phone.

I know that there are plenty of things I dislike about YouTube on iOS, many of which didn't use to exist until Google decided to change stuff for no apparent reason. I find comments in general really retarded right now, especially on desktop. Before It would open the conversation in it's own window. Now you need to go to the video, load it for no reason and then it shows you just the single reply and you have to click to expand the whole conversation. So stupid.

My post was sarcastic. The iPhone layout for Youtube isn't touch gesture friendly, especially for the larger iPhone imo.

Also agreed about the comments bit. I've also noticed sometimes it won't even take me to the correct comment thread at all, so I just give up at that point if I even make a comment on Youtube (which is almost never).

I use Google chrome with addblock+ and never see adds.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430