Xbox one won't Play games on Day one.

MzCatieB

Remember the days when consoles just worked right out of the box?

*Hugs SNES*

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

At least it's free.

how epic would it be if the update rolls out to Xbox gold users only

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

So anyone wanting to play on one of these new consoles that doesn't have internet (or reliable internet) cannot. Ever. 

Wow. That simply is not fair.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

To be fair, same is basically true with a computer, between the drivers, the windows updates and what not, you really need to have a internet access to fully realize your machine. Not that this isn't amusing. The PS4 also has a day one patch to enable much functionality, including the blueray player, FYI. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Because windows is a POS. If you've ever used linux, most of the time you'll find that your drivers are already in place once you install

Praise Duarte!

Because windows is a POS. If you've ever used linux, most of the time you'll find that your drivers are already in place once you install

And Windows has default drivers for thousands of devices as well. You aren't going to be playing games on Linux with default drivers anymore than you are going to on Windows. If you have new hardware or something a little more obscure you will need to find drivers for full functionality on both OSes.

Old news this was reported when they cancelled the online code activation which is after the console went into mass production

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

wow just wow

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Im pretty sure we already had a thread about this.

why not ship WITH the update :L 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

why not ship WITH the update :L

Because the xbox's are already in retail packaging in boxed on a pallet or in a crate at this point?

Because the xbox's are already in retail packaging in boxed on a pallet or in a crate at this point?

still think its stupid 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Come on guys, as PC people we should be mature about this and not act like fanboys... :/
Consoles have their place, and in a price to performance ratio they are still good products, remember they come with a controller too.
There's no way you can build a PC that can perform as well for the price, including an input method AND legitimate OS for playing games on.

Also most offline games these days on console suck anyway, so if you're getting a console you'd want to be connected to the net anyway...

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

lol at everyone saying "LOL" and laughing at microsoft.

As previous people said but apparently no one read them:
1) PS4 needs an update as well so...yeah 
2) Good luck playing the latest games with the old drivers that came in the CD with your graphics card.

A lot of people need to get their head out of their a** and think for a second before posting and laughing at something.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

still think its stupid

Well than that because you pdont understand that to meet initial demand they were making them before they finalized the version of the firmware or software that doesnt have all the DRM stuffs.

Come on guys, as PC people we should be mature about this and not act like fanboys... :/

Consoles have their place, and in a price to performance ratio they are still good products, remember they come with a controller too.

There's no way you can build a PC that can perform as well for the price, including an input method AND legitimate OS for playing games on.

Also most offline games these days on console suck anyway, so if you're getting a console you'd want to be connected to the net anyway...

I do understand who wants them and who their targeted at very much so. I also know who Valve is aiming at for their steam boxes.I think however that you could build a PC for the price of the X1 that would out preform it for gaming.

A lot of people need to get their head out of their a** and think for a second before posting and laughing at something.

but thats not how the majority is sadly

careful man, you're bringing logic in to a flame war. 

To fully use it yes. But I can install a Linux distro on a usb stick and use it without a internet connection. Then I can play a game that I have on a medium on me.

So... the logic is still valid... you can use your PC without internet (for non internet stuff ofcourse).

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

To be fair, same is basically true with a computer, between the drivers, the windows updates and what not, you really need to have a internet access to fully realize your machine. Not that this isn't amusing. The PS4 also has a day one patch to enable much functionality, including the blueray player, FYI. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Well actually no. If you buy a prebuilt machine (which is more comparable to the way that the new consoles ship) all you have to do is install a game. With pc you do not need internet to fully realise your machine. You have most of the functionality out of the box or at the very least you get the software you need shipped with it (BD playing software etc).

Although your point is still valid for almost everyone on this forum i guess.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Microsoft is going back into the hole they dug from day one

Did they ever get out of it? lol

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Did they ever get out of it? lol

yes and quite quickly for once

I think the only real problem with their initial setup was the having to check in every 24hrs as everything else has been accepted in other areas of gaming and technology already. The main reason they had to drop everything was all the bad press against them from Sony. Its not like sony wasnt going to do the same thing, trust me they were. The industry has wanted to head in that direction for sometime now and they though since they were switching over to x86 and things like steam have work out now was the time this gen was the time to do it. I bet that it will slowly be implemented over each of the products life cycles.

What a terribly misleading headline. Xbox One can play games on Day One, just not without an update. It should've been written as such: "Xbox One cannot play games without a firmware update".

What a terrible way to get people to read your post.

yes and quite quickly for once

I think the only real problem with their initial setup was the having to check in every 24hrs as everything else has been accepted in other areas of gaming and technology already. The main reason they had to drop everything was all the bad press against them from Sony. Its not like sony wasnt going to do the same thing, trust me they were. The industry has wanted to head in that direction for sometime now and they though since they were switching over to x86 and things like steam have work out now was the time this gen was the time to do it. I bet that it will slowly be implemented over each of the products life cycles.

Meh the XB1 to me is just a waste of 500 dollars/euros.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Just a guess but here is what probably happened. Originally the XBone required to go online to activate seeing how everything required to be online... now if you didn't go online originally to activate it you couldn't play games. Obviously while activating it would also check to see if there were any updates. So now if you turn it on it will update and remove that online activation requirement. So either way it doesn't get activated or updated it cannot play games.

Now, going forward the updated firmware will eventually be built in (one would assume). In the meantime this will end up with people like Best Buy or Gamestop charging $100 bucks or something crazy to install the update for you.