Axon 7 or OnePlus 3?

Fumferknuckle

Hey guys, I'm going to be selling my OnePlus One Smartphone soon and am deciding which one I should replace it with. My budget is about $400 or so, but I'd rather keep it low. 

I am deciding between the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 (the 3T doesn't seem worth $100+/- more for 400mah and 821 chip).

From the general consensus, it seems most like the OP3 more for slightly better camera, more stock software, and a little snappier. I like the Axon 7 more for the just about identical camera quality, amazing speakers, display, and the dac. 

So my question is, which would you choose? I love my current OnePlus One, but the speakers, camera, and display are really pulling me to the Axon 7. And it does have a slightly larger battery than the 3 (not 3T I know). It seems the OP3 is a bit easier to grab right now, unless I choose the gold Axon 7 (ehhh...) and cheaper/same price when choosing the gray models on both smartphones. 

So basically, spend $350-400 for the Axon 7, or $350-400 for the OnePlus 3. Which do you pick? 

Thanks guys. 

I would pick Oneplus, but it's all up to personal choice. both are good phones

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I'd go for the Axon, or spend the extra on the 3T. It gets significantly better battery life, and what good is a phone if it's dead? ;)

Tbh though don't buy anything now, it's a horrible time to buy a phone. We're 2 weeks away from MWC, when there will be a massive amount of new devices on the market.

Have you considered the Zenfone 3 Zoom? It looks like a compelling device, though I'd wait for some reviews to come out.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

All great points. I didn't realize MWC was 2 weeks away. I guess I'll wait for that and see if at the least prices go down a bit. 

This is the first I'm hearing of the Zenfone 3 Zoom. On paper is sounds amazing, besides the 625 chip. But 5000mah battery and dual 12mp camera sounds promising. 

I wasn't too impressed with the leaked LG G6, and the S8 will likely be mega expensive again. 

To me, the most interesting phones are the ones $600 and less. Anything under $350-450 has a lot of my attention. 

8 minutes ago, Fumferknuckle said:

All great points. I didn't realize MWC was 2 weeks away. I guess I'll wait for that and see if at the least prices go down a bit. 

This is the first I'm hearing of the Zenfone 3 Zoom. On paper is sounds amazing, besides the 625 chip. But 5000mah battery and dual 12mp camera sounds promising. 

I wasn't too impressed with the leaked LG G6, and the S8 will likely be mega expensive again. 

To me, the most interesting phones are the ones $600 and less. Anything under $350-450 has a lot of my attention. 

Me and a few other fourm members have used the Zenfone line and honestly its really meh, I would highly advise not going to a zenfone, the UI is terrible and Software updates are slim to none.

Unless you just want to immediately rom it which I did and it wasn't THAT bad but still.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:27 PM, Aytex said:

Me and a few other fourm members have used the Zenfone line and honestly its really meh, I would highly advise not going to a zenfone, the UI is terrible and Software updates are slim to none.

Unless you just want to immediately rom it which I did and it wasn't THAT bad but still.

Hmm. That's good information, thanks for the input. I can only imagine Asus software and updates. That's probably my biggest worry for the Axon, is updates and UI. From what I read though it has gotten better, including camera stabilization and such. I'm sure it's nothing like OnePlus though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys, I'm opening this discussion back up after MWC has happened about a week ago. 

My question mostly still remains, but with some twists. What would YOU buy with around $500 max? Preferably 400 or less. I say $500 because I would totally buy a LG G6 for that, but I read $700+. I would also buy the newly announced Sony Xperia XZ (Premium is included in the name I believe. Stupid name) for the features like 4k display (stupid I know), 960fps slow motion, CAMERA (huge feature for me), and speakers. Plus IP68 like the G6. 

I'm still looking at an Axon 7 though. I was reading about the new Moto whatever, but the screen and processor had me skeptical. I think that was the phone with the same Sony sensor used in the Google Pixel however. 

Let me know what you think. 

4 hours ago, Fumferknuckle said:

Okay guys, I'm opening this discussion back up after MWC has happened about a week ago. 

My question mostly still remains, but with some twists. What would YOU buy with around $500 max? Preferably 400 or less. I say $500 because I would totally buy a LG G6 for that, but I read $700+. I would also buy the newly announced Sony Xperia XZ (Premium is included in the name I believe. Stupid name) for the features like 4k display (stupid I know), 960fps slow motion, CAMERA (huge feature for me), and speakers. Plus IP68 like the G6. 

I'm still looking at an Axon 7 though. I was reading about the new Moto whatever, but the screen and processor had me skeptical. I think that was the phone with the same Sony sensor used in the Google Pixel however. 

Let me know what you think. 

The new xperia lineup does look promising, I think you should go for that instead. 

But like always, wait for reviews.

I would go for the OP. It has a large community which is great for software support in the future.

Axon 7. It has one of the best power management out there. 

I own the previous flagship from zte, the axon elite. Great phone with great construction. 

Just be sure the axon 7 supports the network in your area. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Seems everyone is a bit divided on what phone I should choose. I love my current OnePlus One, but it is definitely showing age. It's been a tank for me, with little to no problems. I'm so interested in the Axon 7 for the speakers, camera, screen, and DAC. I'm interested in the OP3 for the speed, clean OS, and camera. I also just like OnePlus. 

If any Axon 7 owners/users can give me an overview of how the software is today (bugs, experience, things you like/dislike) I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. The phones seem pretty equal, besides the 7 having that 2k display and loud stereo speakers, 2 features I am intrigued about. From my Amazon searching (I have tons of gift card money so..) it seems both phones are going to be relatively equally priced. So it's basically going to come down to which software I'd rather use and if I'd rather have speakers/display then clean OS and 2 extra gigs of RAM. I like expandable storage too, as I use my OPO for lots of video work. 

For any Axon 7 users, again, how is the software, and most importantly at this point, how is the CAMERA, TODAY. I know it's pretty close to the OP3 (reviews from launch) but if updates and tweaks have made the stabilization and general software and shooting experience better. If they fixed how glitchy shooting video was, I may go for something different and go with the Axon 7. 

Let me thank everyone for taking the time to help aide my decision in picking my next device. It's truly a tough choice, phones now a day's are so great it's the little details that sway me one way or the other. 

I'd say the Op3 (As i have one myself) I've currently got Lineage OS installed, it's so damn smooth 

CPU - i7-10700K, MB -MSI Z490 Gaming PlusRAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz, GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO, PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 80+ GoldStorage - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB ,WD 3x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Cooler- Noctua NH-D15S, CASE Fractal Meshify 2 Compact

17 hours ago, igetaroundd said:

I'd say the Op3 (As i have one myself) I've currently got Lineage OS installed, it's so damn smooth 

How is the camera? Mostly talking stills and video (stabilization is my biggest thing with video, not clarity). My current OP1 has focusing issues and has begun to stutter and slow down a lot recently. Apparently OnePlus is about to announce a new device. 

7 hours ago, Fumferknuckle said:

How is the camera? Mostly talking stills and video (stabilization is my biggest thing with video, not clarity). My current OP1 has focusing issues and has begun to stutter and slow down a lot recently. Apparently OnePlus is about to announce a new device. 

The camera is not the best but it's still good. The video is a bit shaky if i'm honest, and yeah I'd wait for the next OnePlus device if I was you.

CPU - i7-10700K, MB -MSI Z490 Gaming PlusRAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz, GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO, PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 80+ GoldStorage - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB ,WD 3x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Cooler- Noctua NH-D15S, CASE Fractal Meshify 2 Compact