4x CROSSFIRE ON MACBOOK PRO?!

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

What I mean is, the scaling from 1- 2, 2- 3 and 3 - 4 gets worse as you add the additional card. Depending on game you lose 20 - 40% performance per card running at 4x instead of 8/16x PCIE. Now also consider only the higher end AMD cards are able to run 4x crossfire. I would say (guessing) the performance would be worse than traditional 2 ways crossfire

thats what i wanna know, would you want to see the results? just for the laughs and gigs

40 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

If it did work, the performance gained from 4x gpus would be lost by the drop of bandwidth from 16 - 4x PCIE

but theoretically it could work, this was never about the preformance, its about pushing the limits of a shitty laptop chip with hardware for a few grand straped onto it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

but theoretically it could work, this was never about the preformance, its about pushing the limits of a shitty laptop chip with hardware for a few grand straped onto it

DUDE, U GET IT

10 minutes ago, Vincent__Thunder said:

DUDE, U GET IT

yah its because i find it amusing, it would be fun to see a macbook with 4 razer cores strapped to it xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

48 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

What I mean is, the scaling from 1- 2, 2- 3 and 3 - 4 gets worse as you add the additional card. Depending on game you lose 20 - 40% performance per card running at 4x instead of 8/16x PCIE. Now also consider only the higher end AMD cards are able to run 4x crossfire. I would say (guessing) the performance would be worse than traditional 2 ways crossfire

4X 3.0 == 8x 2.0 As has been tested many times be within 5-10% of PCIE 2 16x and PCIE 3 16x

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

6 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

4X 3.0 == 8x 2.0 As has been tested many times be within 5-10% of PCIE 2 16x and PCIE 3 16x

Not on the fury test I looked at earlier, dropped by like 30% at 1080pnonnsome games 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

11 hours ago, Unrealcpu said:

Mac is great for gaming?

It Will be with 4 gpu's.

Cpu is quad core with hyper treatding 

I think this would work better if someone managed to fit the Macbook Pro with RGB lighting.  Just to really fuck with Apple.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

18 hours ago, Vincent__Thunder said:

i just came up what a amazing idea,

a razer core runs at a 4x pcie 3.0 link,

AMD radeon needs a 4x pcie 3.0 link to run crossfire

razer core needs a thunderbolt 3 (type c) link

the macbook pro 15inch has 4 thunderbold 3.0 (type c)

mac needs to run in windows?! for crossfire support?!

so in theorie you can run 4x rx480 or 4x a custom r9 fury.

if this has been done already please give he a LINK!

if you are going to try it, PLEASE LET ME KNOW

(total price ca    2800  x  4x 500 (2000) = 4x220 (880) = 5680 usd

mac   +   4x razercore   + 4x rx 480     = AWESOME

maybe this can go in the wan show of today?!

send to @LinusTech at twitter

*YouTube link removed*

I don't think you can run a CrossFireX set up with Razer cores, but if it would work, there wouldn't be a massive issue from the bandwidth, a single GPU will not use more than 32GB/s of bandwidth. But when you try to run 128GB/s of bandwidth from a single Thunderbolt 3 controller, you might have an issue there.

While it might work, I won't be spending €8,000 to test it, I could buy a vastly more powerful server for that that holds 8 dual or quad GPU cards. 

Yours faithfully

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yah its because i find it amusing, it would be fun to see a macbook with 4 razer cores strapped to it xD 

wow it took nearly a day of this thread existing for people to get it haha, performance aside, we want a macbook with 1000 watts of gpu's strapped to it for no reason other than sheer amusement

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I don't think you can run a CrossFireX set up with Razer cores, but if it would work, there wouldn't be a massive issue from the bandwidth, a single GPU will not use more than 32GB/s of bandwidth. But when you try to run 128GB/s of bandwidth from a single Thunderbolt 3 controller, you might have an issue there.

While it might work, I won't be spending €8,000 to test it, I could buy a vastly more powerful server for that that holds 8 dual or quad GPU cards. 

this reminds me of a question i had regarding the matter, on the new MBP, does each thunderbolt port have it's own controller and own bandwidth ? could you saturate 40gb/s on each port simultaneously ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

16 lanes isn't going to cut it, as other stuff also needs to come out of those lanes. Not just the external gpu's.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

You are from floatplaen!!!

Can you present this plan to Linus or luke?!

Ps, don't Let it sint right?!

1 minute ago, Vincent__Thunder said:

You are drom floatplaen!!!

Can you present this plan to Linus or luke?!

Ps, don't Let it sint right?!

I've only ever talked to them briefly in messages, one about the pizza heater PC and the other about bringing back an old segment, the floatplane is only like €2.88 so that is really not much. 

Yours faithfully

8 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

this reminds me of a question i had regarding the matter, on the new MBP, does each thunderbolt port have it's own controller and own bandwidth ? could you saturate 40gb/s on each port simultaneously ?

Well, 40Gb/s is only 5GB/s, barely enough for 1 PCI-e lane, so a single controller off a 4x lane would be enough, but you can't crossfire over Cores, I thought about it, the PCIe lane is being converted back and forth, there is not logical way to ensure the inter-card communication. 

Yours faithfully

Well, 40Gb/s is only 5GB/s, barely enough for 1 PCI-e lane, so a single controller off a 4x lane would be enough, but you can't crossfire over Cores, I thought about it, the PCIe lane is being converted back and forth, there is not logical way to ensure the inter-card communication. 

daisy chaining ? or is that too much, have i just broken the thread ?

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

Daisy chaninging PCIe over thunderbolt is about as bad an idea as I just made it out to be (sure it's confirmation bias but it still won't work)

Yours faithfully

I would love to see this in action.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Daisy chaninging PCIe over thunderbolt is about as bad an idea as I just made it out to be (sure it's confirmation bias but it still won't work)

well the consensus seems very logical, although, i won't feel better until ive seen it myself. I have 10 of the new MBP's coming at work soon and we have thunderbolt 3 gear so ill have a little play and keep you updated. 

Home PC:

Work PC:

3 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

The raxer core's only have 1 in port not a second out port.

But every thunderbolt port has its own controller.

Is Just would be very interesting

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

well the consensus seems very logical, although, i won't feel better until ive seen it myself. I have 10 of the new MBP's coming at work soon and we have thunderbolt 3 gear so ill have a little play and keep you updated. 

I want in on the LTT channel, but thanks

Keep is all up to date.

Also have some amd gpu's laying arond? 

6 minutes ago, Vincent__Thunder said:

I want in on the LTT channel, but thanks

Keep is all up to date.

Also have some amd gpu's laying arond? 

sorry the spelling on your last post is impenetrable mate

Home PC:

Work PC:

On 2/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, DnFx91 said:

sorry the spelling on your last post is impenetrable mate

auto correct, phone is still on dutch (home country)