Internet goes out when home phone rings

Greetings. 
I believe this topic has been cover in other forums. Not sure on this site but I found others. Need additional help.

My problem is my *internet* goes out when the phone rings.(EDIT* DSL connection) I contact my ISP, they told me put filters on my phone line. (Similar to what's on my phone - https://www.firefold.com/DSL-Filter-for-2-Phones)

Still have connection interruptions. I later found out that my home phone is 2.4 frequency as well as my modem. I understand that this can cause an interference with the Wifi but being on wired connection, why is this a problem?

I'm out of ideas. 

-Slouch

Yes. What's the point of a filter if the problem still persists? How do I fix this? 

1 minute ago, Slouch said:

Yes. What's the point of a filter if the problem still persists? How do I fix this? 

You can't fix it, your only option is to upgrade your line...

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

1 minute ago, JackHubbleday said:

You can't fix it, your only option is to upgrade your line...

Internet through phone line is all that's available in my area. Cable is not an option. x(

4 minutes ago, Slouch said:

Internet through phone line is all that's available in my area. Cable is not an option. x(

what about att uverse

linus sex tips

9 minutes ago, Slouch said:

Can't help then...

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

On 2/5/2017 at 9:19 AM, Slouch said:

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE...

Get a filter. They clean the line from voice interference and allow only dsl data to go through. If for some reason a filter does not work, then you might want to just get a second line. One for phone, and one for dsl.

My native language is C++

3 hours ago, Slouch said:

My problem is my *internet* goes out when the phone rings.(Dial-up connection)

Do you truly mean dialup? I suspect you mean DSL, especially because you say that you have a modem. Dialup and DSL are very different.

3 hours ago, Slouch said:

I later found out that my home phone is 2.4 frequency as well as my modem. I understand that this can cause an interference with the Wifi but being on wired connection, why is this a problem?

This is only about the wireless - both your wireless handset and the Wifi from your modem/router combo unit use the 2.4GHz band. This can cause issues because wireless handsets aren't very polite or conscientious of other devices using wireless - they typically blast their data across most of the 2.4GHz band at high power. Your modem, in contrast, only uses 1 or possibly 2 channels in the 2.4GHz band at a time, and your modem and devices use as low power signals as they can get away with.

You have two possible problems, and you have to figure out which one it is before going any further. The first possible problem is wireless interference from your handset, and the second is that the calls truly are disconnecting your modem. To test this out, I recommend unplugging the base station for the handset for a few days and used a traditional wired-only phone instead. If you don't have internet issues during calls, then your problem was the handset. In this case, I would recommend buying a new one that uses DECT, which is 900MHz instead of 2.4GHz. DECT phones also have better voice quality and range than 2.4GHz based phones.

Another test you can do is to plug a computer directly into the modem and see is that computer loses its internet connection during a phone call - if it doesn't, then your issue was just with wireless, but if it does lose internet then the modem is probably getting disconnected.

The 3rd thing you can do is log into the modem's control panel and look to see if there is information or statistics about the DSL connection. Typically you can see a lot of data about the connection, like what speed and frequencies has been negotiated with the DSLAM (the device on the other end of the phone line you are actually connecting to). Watch this information and see if/how it changes when a phone call comes in.

Another thing I would like to know, are you disconnected just during incoming calls, or if someone makes an outgoing phone call as well? If it is only incoming calls, does the connection come back while the call is still happening, or does it not reconnect until the call is ended?

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

19 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Do you truly mean dialup? I suspect you mean DSL, especially because you say that you have a modem. Dialup and DSL are very different.

He said "internet through the phone line" so probably.

10 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

He said "internet through the phone line" so probably.

dialup would also be "internet through the phone line".

On the wireless side of things, older 2.4GHz phones use FHSS(Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum) or DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum). These were also used by early 802.11b wireless adapters and APs. However, there are 2 types of encoding that are used. 802.11b and CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) All of the phones would tend to use CDMA in order to differentiate between your handset and your neighbors handsets.  Unfortunately, The 2.4GHz phones do not recognize digital signals i.e. 802.11b/g/n, have different channel widths and were either analog and would blast the signal out at high power and hop frequencies that may land it right in the middle of your 802.11b/g/n channel at random times or (in the case of digital ) broadcast the signal across the entire 2.4GHz spectrum on wideband frequency channels. This could EASILY knock out any 2.4GHz 802.11 wireless signal, especially with the new methods of compression and encoding in 802.11g/n. 

If this is an issue with DSL (I assume some form of ADSL since you have voice concurrent on the line) then you would need to place frequency filters on all non-modem lines to avoid interference with the DSL frequency ranges from attached phones/equipment. 

You may want to consider moving to a 900Mhz or 5.8GHz DSSS cordless phone as the 900MHz operates outside of 802.11 data spectrum and the 5.8GHz only operates in the 5.725 to 5.825GHz (UNII-3) range and does not preclude the use of the lower 802.11a/n frequency bands UNII-1, UNII-2A and UNII-2C ( basically 5.15GHz - 5.35GHz)

On 2/5/2017 at 4:13 PM, brwainer said:

This is only about the wireless - both your wireless handset and the Wifi from your modem/router combo unit use the 2.4GHz band. This can cause issues because wireless handsets aren't very polite or conscientious of other devices using wireless - they typically blast their data across most of the 2.4GHz band at high power. Your modem, in contrast, only uses 1 or possibly 2 channels in the 2.4GHz band at a time, and your modem and devices use as low power signals as they can get away with.

You have two possible problems, and you have to figure out which one it is before going any further. The first possible problem is wireless interference from your handset, and the second is that the calls truly are disconnecting your modem. To test this out, I recommend unplugging the base station for the handset for a few days and used a traditional wired-only phone instead. If you don't have internet issues during calls, then your problem was the handset. In this case, I would recommend buying a new one that uses DECT, which is 900MHz instead of 2.4GHz. DECT phones also have better voice quality and range than 2.4GHz based phones.

Another test you can do is to plug a computer directly into the modem and see is that computer loses its internet connection during a phone call - if it doesn't, then your issue was just with wireless, but if it does lose internet then the modem is probably getting disconnected.

The 3rd thing you can do is log into the modem's control panel and look to see if there is information or statistics about the DSL connection. Typically you can see a lot of data about the connection, like what speed and frequencies has been negotiated with the DSLAM (the device on the other end of the phone line you are actually connecting to). Watch this information and see if/how it changes when a phone call comes in.

Another thing I would like to know, are you disconnected just during incoming calls, or if someone makes an outgoing phone call as well? If it is only incoming calls, does the connection come back while the call is still happening, or does it not reconnect until the call is ended?

I meant DSL. Sorry about that. 

My computer is on a wired connection every sense I got it. I'm certain the internet is going out, not just the wireless. The internet sometimes goes out as soon as the home phone rings. It does happen but usually it goes out when the call is answered or hung up. 

I'm certain that my phone and modem/router are on the same frequency. What i'm confused about, is that everything I'v read says this would take out your wireless. Can it also disconnect the internet?  I have disabled wireless in my modem settings but no luck. Still same problem. 

Would it be better to replace the home phone to a higher frequency or my modem/router? 
I heard that putting in a new line for one DSL and the other being phone, you can greatly increase internet speed. Also, solving my problem with the internet disconnecting when phone rings. Is that true? Can my ISP hook that up or would I have to? 

1 hour ago, Slouch said:

I meant DSL. Sorry about that. 

My computer is on a wired connection every sense I got it. I'm certain the internet is going out, not just the wireless. The internet sometimes goes out as soon as the home phone rings. It does happen but usually it goes out when the call is answered or hung up. 

I'm certain that my phone and modem/router are on the same frequency. What i'm confused about, is that everything I'v read says this would take out your wireless. Can it also disconnect the internet?  I have disabled wireless in my modem settings but no luck. Still same problem. 

Would it be better to replace the home phone to a higher frequency or my modem/router? 
I heard that putting in a new line for one DSL and the other being phone, you can greatly increase internet speed. Also, solving my problem with the internet disconnecting when phone rings. Is that true? Can my ISP hook that up or would I have to? 

If you are not using wireless internet, then the frequency of your handset does not matter at all. It is physically impossible for your handset to be disconnecting your modem in this case. 

Do you have filters installed on every telephone device that is in use? You don't just need a filter on your modem, but on all of them.

Do you have multiple phone jacks in your house?

Try using the other one.

21 hours ago, brwainer said:

If you are not using wireless internet, then the frequency of your handset does not matter at all. It is physically impossible for your handset to be disconnecting your modem in this case. 

Do you have filters installed on every telephone device that is in use? You don't just need a filter on your modem, but on all of them.

We have four phone jacks in our house. The internet use one and our home phone uses another one. Our home phone has a filter while our modem doesn't. The other two phone jacks we never use. (no filters on the 2 we don't use)

19 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Do you have multiple phone jacks in your house?

Try using the other one.

Last time we had a guy come out to check our connection, I asked him the same question. He said the phone jack our modem is using has the best possible connection. It being the first phone jack in the house, (or something like that). 

21 hours ago, brwainer said:

Are you sure it's physically impossible? We have a modem/router combo in one device. I know some people have their modem and router as separate devices. idk if that means anything, seems probable one is messing up the other?

1 hour ago, Slouch said:

Are you sure it's physically impossible? We have a modem/router combo in one device. I know some people have their modem and router as separate devices. idk if that means anything, seems probable one is messing up the other?

it is technically possible that your handset creates so much RF radiation that it causes your modem to have issues - but that much energy would also give you cancer, make the handset too hot to hold, and mess with all your other electronics too. Since you aren't experiencing any of that, I can safely say that the wireless 2.4GHz signals emitting from the handset and its base station are not conflicting with the wired signals, which are operating at much lower frequencies, and typically twisted copper wiring, used for both phone lines and ethernet, does not act as an antenna - it's the twisting that prevents that.

1 hour ago, Slouch said:

We have four phone jacks in our house. The internet use one and our home phone uses another one. Our home phone has a filter while our modem doesn't. The other two phone jacks we never use. (no filters on the 2 we don't use)

There are two kinds of DSL filters - ones that go on your phones so that you don't hear the high pitched DSL noises on your calls, and ones that can go on the modem that filter out the non-DSL frequencies.

I still would recommend you test whether using a traditional wired-only phone for a few days affects the issues you face.

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

There are two kinds of DSL filters - ones that go on your phones so that you don't hear the high pitched DSL noises on your calls, and ones that can go on the modem that filter out the non-DSL frequencies.

I still would recommend you test whether using a traditional wired-only phone for a few days affects the issues you face.

I never knew there were two different kinds of filters. Maybe I have the wrong ones? 

I'll give the wired phone idea a try. 
(EDIT: I just looked up the price of a wired phones. All seem to be around $20. You think it's a better idea just pay for a better wireless home phone? Regardless, I think I'm look up/buy the correct filters before messing with the phone.) 

3 hours ago, brwainer said:

The exact filter that is on my home phone. http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-jack-2-Wire-DSL-Filter-Two-Line-Phone-Connector-JL02-GJ1-ADSL-600-4-Long/232216361569?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D5e4d24e9b31140f99ec0b4b0af0db6e3%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D162017288655

G-jack
 Model: JL02-GJ1-ADSL-600 (In case link dies)

Is that the correct filter?

That is the correct filter, but you should have one on your modem too - it should be plugged into the ADSL port.

19 minutes ago, brwainer said:

That is the correct filter, but you should have one on your modem too - it should be plugged into the ADSL port.

I heard you don't put one on the modem?

Whatever, I got many of these things around the house. I will throw one on see if it helps. Thanks man.