Internet goes out when home phone rings

3 hours ago, Slouch said:

I heard you don't put one on the modem?

Whatever, I got many of these things around the house. I will throw one on see if it helps. Thanks man. 

You don't put a phone filter, or the phone side of a dual filter like you have, on the modem.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On 2/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, brwainer said:

That is the correct filter, but you should have one on your modem too - it should be plugged into the ADSL port.

I'v been using a filter on the phone line for a good time now (and modem). Still the same problem. These filters don't work. 

What's the next step? 

2 minutes ago, Slouch said:

I'v been using a filter on the phone line for a good time now (and modem). Still the same problem. These filters don't work. 

What's the next step? 

have you tried using a wired-only phone, preferably one with as few features as possible (one that doesn't require it to be plugged in to power at all to function), to eliminate the phone itself as your issue? I'm not saying this because of the wireless aspect, I'm just saying this because any phone that has too much electronics in it to need a power connector also has enough electronics to possibly cause interference and noise on the phone line.

23 minutes ago, Slouch said:

What's the next step? 

Have you tried using a different jack? I know the guy said it was the first jack you used right now (which is the one you want), but there is the possibility that he was wrong.

21 minutes ago, brwainer said:

have you tried using a wired-only phone, preferably one with as few features as possible (one that doesn't require it to be plugged in to power at all to function), to eliminate the phone itself as your issue? I'm not saying this because of the wireless aspect, I'm just saying this because any phone that has too much electronics in it to need a power connector also has enough electronics to possibly cause interference and noise on the phone line.

I haven't tried the wired phone idea. Simply because we really need an answer machine in our house. Bare bones wired phones don't cost that much but one with an answer machine are little expensive. (expensive regarding i'm using it to test something momentarily. Paying $40 for a wired phone then not needing it is a waste.)

If we already know nothing wireless is effecting my connection, then what else could it be? I feel like the wired phone idea is a good idea but unnecessary. It obvious it has something to do with the internet getting tied up in the same line, and the filters aren't doing jack.

Roughly 70% of the calls take out our internet. Not all of them. Seems kinda random but we will have day when 1-4 people call with no disconnects. Then another day where EVERY TIME some telemarketer calls your internet drops out for 4mins. 

1 hour ago, Slouch said:

I haven't tried the wired phone idea. Simply because we really need an answer machine in our house. Bare bones wired phones don't cost that much but one with an answer machine are little expensive. (expensive regarding i'm using it to test something momentarily. Paying $40 for a wired phone then not needing it is a waste.)

If we already know nothing wireless is effecting my connection, then what else could it be? I feel like the wired phone idea is a good idea but unnecessary. It obvious it has something to do with the internet getting tied up in the same line, and the filters aren't doing jack.

Roughly 70% of the calls take out our internet. Not all of them. Seems kinda random but we will have day when 1-4 people call with no disconnects. Then another day where EVERY TIME some telemarketer calls your internet drops out for 4mins. 

I am saying that you specifically want to test with a phone without an answering machine - you want literally no features in the phone you use to test. This is *just for testing*. If you don't do your test properly, then it doesn't teach you anything new.

On 05/02/2017 at 4:13 PM, brwainer said:

Do you truly mean dialup? I suspect you mean DSL, especially because you say that you have a modem. Dialup and DSL are very different.

This is only about the wireless - both your wireless handset and the Wifi from your modem/router combo unit use the 2.4GHz band. This can cause issues because wireless handsets aren't very polite or conscientious of other devices using wireless - they typically blast their data across most of the 2.4GHz band at high power. Your modem, in contrast, only uses 1 or possibly 2 channels in the 2.4GHz band at a time, and your modem and devices use as low power signals as they can get away with.

You have two possible problems, and you have to figure out which one it is before going any further. The first possible problem is wireless interference from your handset, and the second is that the calls truly are disconnecting your modem. To test this out, I recommend unplugging the base station for the handset for a few days and used a traditional wired-only phone instead. If you don't have internet issues during calls, then your problem was the handset. In this case, I would recommend buying a new one that uses DECT, which is 900MHz instead of 2.4GHz. DECT phones also have better voice quality and range than 2.4GHz based phones.

Another test you can do is to plug a computer directly into the modem and see is that computer loses its internet connection during a phone call - if it doesn't, then your issue was just with wireless, but if it does lose internet then the modem is probably getting disconnected.

The 3rd thing you can do is log into the modem's control panel and look to see if there is information or statistics about the DSL connection. Typically you can see a lot of data about the connection, like what speed and frequencies has been negotiated with the DSLAM (the device on the other end of the phone line you are actually connecting to). Watch this information and see if/how it changes when a phone call comes in.

Another thing I would like to know, are you disconnected just during incoming calls, or if someone makes an outgoing phone call as well? If it is only incoming calls, does the connection come back while the call is still happening, or does it not reconnect until the call is ended?

Just an FYI, DECT uses 1.9GHz (Actually, a very small range of frequencies around there), not 900MHz.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Just an FYI, DECT uses 1.9GHz (Actually, a very small range of frequencies around there), not 900MHz.

That's weird, I remember looking it up and finding 900MHz, but now everything says 1900MHz. Maybe I just mentally blocked out the 1.

14 hours ago, brwainer said:

That's weird, I remember looking it up and finding 900MHz, but now everything says 1900MHz. Maybe I just mentally blocked out the 1.

Haha *shrugs* dunno what to tell you. Most older Cordless Phones were 900Mhz, 2.4GHz, or 5.8GHz - before DECT took off anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)