Pc horror stories

Ezkamoz.
3 minutes ago, Ezkamoz. said:

Please share some of your pc building horror stories

Spark flying everywhere. It was the power supply.

4 minutes ago, Ezkamoz. said:

I cut my finger when I was forcing the motherboard in place to screw it up xD
those pins on the back of the mother board can be really sharp

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Ezkamoz. said:

I used thermal adhesive instead of compound on my 6 year old laptop and tore the cpu clean in half. Luckly i didnt use the laptop anymore. Im not dumb i just cant read the chinese on the tube of thermal adhesive ( i live in china). Then just for fun i plugged it in and turned on the laptop and was granted with a light show ?.

I plugged in the power cord of an old PC, turned it on and nothing... I unplugged the power cord and 1 second later there was the loudest "BANG" I've ever heard. It smelled like burned metal and there was a big black spot on the top of the inside of the case... I was about to put my hand in there so that woke me up.

Not much of a nightmare but i was installing new fans on to my CPU cooler and i sat down to prepare the fans to be mounted on the cooler and i saw some weird substance on the screw driver and i suddenly noticed my finger was bleeding. I must have cut it when i was removing one of the fans.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

A nice CX600 going kaboom with my friend's PC while we were having a 4 man LAN party...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I was taking a nap, and my brother was playing on his PC in the same room. His PSU went kaboom with alot of smoke but thankfully no fire. I was scared half death.

Capasitor exploded.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

A CX430 Going up in sparks and staining my Arylic on my micro ATX lan build :( Ruined my night sat there cleaning it for 4 hours.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

I dropped a screw inside the case, also the blue screen, fucking around with router settings on a perfectly good router and my fucking it up so it doesnt work and 12 hrs later getting it to work.

Installed a new power supply, turned the power on and snap crackle and pop as the psu fries the motherboard, GPU, ram and itself. PC shop gave me a refund on the psu, which was <10% of the total system replacement cost.

Having my pc be infested with a gremlin called Murphy. Been troubleshooting everything for a week now, while trying to find out why my pc would randomly switch off or just crash without a bsod.

All part of the PC game

Amazon sent me the wrong cooler. It was a Noctua NH-D14 but for the wrong socket. Lucky I had the stock cooler and Amazon fixed the issue within a few days. I remember back in the day we had a system that I think the CPU died, as all the Icons went big, then it wouldn't work any more. This was back during the AMD K6 days

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

We had just started a new company and we were setting up our equipment in our new office.  After buying everything we needed, most of our startup capital was gone so we were very tight on money.  Our first hire was a friend of mine and also a tech guy.  I was training him to setup servers as it was going to be an ongoing thing as the company grew and I also wanted a backup for myself.  

I walked him through the first server build and setup, then I let him run with the second server on his own.  A little while later, he came into my office and said something like, "I think we may have a problem."  I went back to the computer room and immediately smelled a burning odor.  I noticed the server was powered off, so I told him to power it on.  While standing there, smoke started coming out of the case and I immediately unplugged the server.

When I opened up the server and started taking it apart, I found that the CPU had split into pieces.  Back then, the CPU slots on motherboards were not keyed so you could install it in the motherboard in all four directions.  Unfortunately, he had installed it backwards which not only destroyed the CPU, but also destroyed the motherboard as well including melting the corner of the CPU slot.

Even though we couldn't afford to lose a $600 CPU (which what that one cost back then) and he felt horrible about it, even later telling me he thought he was going to be fired, I just laughed it off as lesson learned and told him not worry about it.  I did warn him jokingly that I was never going to let him forget about it.

I mention this story because a few days, while doing some early spring cleaning, I found that destroyed CPU.  The company was sold long ago and I have not talked with him in years, but the moment I saw that CPU, the first thing that crossed my mind was emailing him a photo of the CPU by itself with no message. :D

29 minutes ago, Unrealcpu said:

flame and fire coming out of a RadeoN ATI card 

Sounds very toasty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My 32 core AMD Opteron server literally deciding it wanted to catch on fire cause i was too lazy to include it in the cleaning day; literally the day before, I had to buy new cpu's, motherboard, luckily most of my ram didnt die. (2 sticks kicked the bucket.)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I recently switched my soft tubing to hard line tubing in my water loop. All was good until I was driving back to school for the semester when I hit a pothole in the rode or something causing one of the lines to crack. I only noticed this once I saw green liquid come from under my seat. Luckily I had enough paper towel and duck tape to seal the crack temperately until I got to may dorm. In the end nothing was damaged but boy that gave me a scare! But anything for the aesthetic I guess lol. 

i might've encountered ransomware from a usb that a teacher gave back to me..

not fun, had to reinstall and lose 20gb of shit on c:\ (only c though)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

About 8 years ago, I was still living with my folks. Was playing Wow on my, at the time, newish gaming rig, and my first self build. AMD Athlon x2 6400+, 4gb of ddr2, ATI 2600XT. A real beast. Which naturally ~14 year old me paired with the cheapest, brand less 750w PSU I could find. £25 i think I spent on it...  In 2007 ('member capacitor plague).

So naturally the inevitable happens, I'm playing away and all of sudden there is a mighty bang and everything switches off, PC, lights,  everything. So I'm sitting in the pitch black, with a musky haze settling on my desk and that distinct smell of 'electrical fire' filling the air.

Turns out I had popped our houses 20A master fuse, my mum was using the oven too. Popped two more fuses before I realised I had to unplug the PC before putting the power back on.

Upon inspection of the PSU, several chips on the PCB where completely fried and not one but two large capacitors had entirely exploded, spewing electrolyte everywhere. On my motherboard I noticed some capacitor bulging and expected the worst. However after rebuilding the PC with a brand spanking new Corsair 650w PSU I found that not a single component had been damaged by the catastrophic PSU failure. The bulging capacitors where just 2007 caps doing there thing.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

On 2/5/2017 at 0:10 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

A nice CX600 going kaboom with my friend's PC while we were having a 4 man LAN party...

Oooh wow. Guess it was wise of me returning the CX500 for my old Delta

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

i might've encountered ransomware from a usb that a teacher gave back to me..

not fun, had to reinstall and lose 20gb of shit on c:\ (only c though)

What kind of teacher is that?

7 hours ago, Unrealcpu said:

flame and fire coming out of a RadeoN ATI card 

AMD again... not something unexpected tbh

10 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Oooh wow. Guess it was wise of me returning the CX500 for my old Delta

What kind of teacher is that?

AMD again... not something unexpected tbh

he had a virus on his computer and it infected my usb with my homework

yes the usb is now worthless, rip 32gb

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.