The 1060 3GB is a far better deal than the 1060 6GB

JoostinOnline

I've seen soooooooooo many people say you need the 6GB version.  Take a look at some benchmarks:

Edit: I never brought up the R480.

Edit 2: Stop trying to turn this into an AMD vs Nvidia thread.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

It's either 480 8gb / 1060 6gb or 480 4gb. 1060 3gb is losing

i'd rather have a 480 4G, since 1060 3G is cut down compared to 6G. 

480 4G is faster mostly overall, and is identical to 8G besides VRAM

idk

Also that was before AMD release their updated drivers, things have changed significantly now

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 3gbs of VRAM is going to be too limiting, in addition the 480 is the better card now thanks to driver improvements in performance, and it's lowest end has 4GBS of VRAM

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 GB does not go far when playing in 1080p, which is usually the resolution that gamers buy a 1060 for. My Fury runs into VRAM limitations in ROTTR and Watch Dogs 2, and my resolution is only 33% larger than 1920x1080.

I don't know whether to fault developers for not properly optimizing their games, or to consider that all of these visual effects really eat up VRAM like they do now. Textures are only a part of the story in that regard.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The 3gbs of VRAM is going to be too limiting, in addition the 480 is the better card now thanks to driver improvements in performance, and it's lowest end has 4GBS of VRAM

Did you even watch the video?

And I never mentioned the 480.  This isn't an AMD vs NVIDIA thread.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

3 GB does not go far when playing in 1080p, which is usually the resolution that gamers buy a 1060 for. My Fury runs into VRAM limitations in ROTTR and Watch Dogs 2, and my resolution is only 33% larger than 1920x1080.

I don't know whether to fault developers for not properly optimizing their games, or to consider that all of these visual effects really eat up VRAM like they do now. Textures are only a part of the story in that regard.

Watch the god damn video.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Not to mention 480 4GB is now cheaper than 1060 3GB

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=378,370&sort=a8&page=1

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Also that was before AMD release their updated drivers, things have changed significantly now

TLDR of that video; 480 8G vs 1060 6G is on par now, and GTX 1060 3G is slower than 480 4G by 5 percent or so

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

TLDR of that video; 480 8G vs 1060 6G is on par now, and GTX 1060 3G is slower than 480 4G by 5 percent or so

And significantly more expensive for the minimal performance improvement.

Stop bringing up the AMD card.  It's unrelated.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I know but it doesn't mean someone must get a 1060 3gb because it's a better deal compared to a 1060 6gb. You don't pick cards around Nvidia only. You have to look around other options too. 480 4GB + cheap freesync monitor will take the lead any day. 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

inappropirate.png

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Watch the god damn video.

Relax.

I've seen the video several times, and it still shows that for an extra 50 bucks, you get double the VRAM and more processing power in the same card. Unless you live on ramen out of the food bank, I'm sure that if you're going to buy a 1060 you can foot the paltry 50 bucks towards the better version and move on with your life.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I know but it doesn't mean someone must get a 1060 3gb because it's a better deal compared to a 1060 6gb. You don't pick cards around Nvidia only. You have to look around other options too. 480 4GB + cheap freesync monitor will take the lead any day. 

I'm not saying that the 480 is bad.  I'm just saying that whenever someone wants a 1060 and is on a budget, anyone who suggests the 3GB version gets shot down.  That's stupid.

It pretty much has to be one, the 480 is better than both 1060 options, and the 3GB 1060 has no reason to exist, it would have made a lot more sense to give the cut down core cards 6gbs of VRAM and call the normal 1060 the 1060ti

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

It isn't, it's a direct competitor to the 3GB 1060. It's cheaper, faster, you get access to FreeSync. I'm an Nvidia guy, but AMD win the low end where Nvidia have competition. The high end they don't, and that's where they earn more. G-Sync is expensive. The cheapest G-Sync monitor is literally similarly priced than a new 480 4G and a 144Hz FreeSync panel. 

idk

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 480 4gb is actually cheaper, or at least 5 models are, so that's cheaper with more VRAM trading blows in performance

not to mention free-sync display savings and it going beast mode in DX12/Vulkan titles

LuZMoK5.png

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

Relax.

I've seen the video several times, and it still shows that for an extra 50 bucks, you get double the VRAM and more processing power in the same card. Unless you live on ramen out of the food bank, I'm sure that if you're going to buy a 1060, you can foot the paltry 50 bucks towards the better version and move on with your life.

Not really.  When $200 is pushing your budget, you can't just go up another $50.

And you're right, I'm annoyed.  But that's because I started a topic about Nvidia, and all people want to talk about is AMD.  This is a performance/cost argument for the 1060 3GB.  Not an AMD vs NVIDIA argument.

IMO the 1060 and 480/470 are the sweet spot GPUs this generation. You get a good balance of performance and price. The 3GB 1060 is indeed a much better deal than the 6GB variant. 6GB 1060 and 8GB 480 are sort of just meh to me. 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

This is a performance/cost argument for the 1060 3GB.

Well sure, but as long as the 4GB 480 exists there's no reason to buy a 3GB 1060

even if the 480 is super expensive in a country, gamers should fork out the extra money for the 6GB model so they aren't limited down the line

Spoiler

Not really.  When $200 is pushing your budget, you can't just go up another $50.

And you're right, I'm annoyed.  But that's because I started a topic about Nvidia, and all people want to talk about is AMD.  This is a performance/cost argument for the 1060 3GB.  Not an AMD vs NVIDIA argument.

I am a full time student and I work part time at Walmart. Most of my financial aid goes toward rent and bills, and the (min) wage from Walmart goes toward gas and other daily expenses. I know all about budget constraints.

And yet I don't let it get in the way of me enjoying a high end build. Currently saving up for a $2K+ build for later on in the year.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

It isn't, it's a direct competitor to the 3GB 1060. It's cheaper, faster, you get access to FreeSync. I'm an Nvidia guy, but AMD win the low end where Nvidia have competition. The high end they don't, and that's where they earn more. G-Sync is expensive. The cheapest G-Sync monitor is literally similarly priced than a new 480 4G and a 144Hz FreeSync panel. 

I'm talking about two GTX 1060 models.  That's all this thread is about. 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

even if the 480 is super expensive in a country, gamers should fork out the extra money for the 6GB model so they aren't limited down the line

You seem to not understand that people have a finite amount of money.  There will always be something better.  You shouldn't pay 25% more for a 4% performance improvement.  That's ridiculous.

That is quite an old video.

I ran into massive VRAM bottleneck issues with my GTX970 at 1080p. I cannot imagine having 0.5GB less VRAM would be a good idea especially as games are using more and more.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you talk about the price/performance of a card with a set budget, you should compare it to other cards of the same price bracket, not cards from your preferred manufacturer from that price bracket. If you ignore all other cards, the Titan XP is a good value.

I agree that the GTX 1060 3GB card is a good choice at that price bracket when compared to the GTX 1060 3GB, but that is a silly non-comparison.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

That is quite an old video.

I ran into massive VRAM bottleneck issues with my GTX970 at 1080p. I cannot imagine having 0.5GB less VRAM would be a good idea especially as games are using more and more.

If you talk about the price/performance of a card with a set budget, you should compare it to other cards of the same price bracket, not cards from your preferred manufacturer from that price bracket. If you ignore all other cards, the Titan XP is a good value.

I agree that the GTX 1060 3GB card is a good choice at that price bracket when compared to the GTX 1060 3GB, but that is a silly non-comparison.

They're almost identical cards, but one has more VRAM.  That is in no way a silly comparison.