The 1060 3GB is a far better deal than the 1060 6GB

JoostinOnline
2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I think you guys are missing the point. What OP means is that the 3GB 1060 is a better value than the 6GB 1060 when compared to that. 

RX 480 is better than either so who cares?

6900k. 64GB DDR4 3200. ASUS Rampage V Edition TEN. GTX TITAN X Pascal SLi.  

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Many of those games used well over 3GB, and performance impact was minimal.

Anedotic evidence is not proof. It has been proven again and again, VRAM shortage is bad.

I remember playing ds3, my vram was always at max (2Gb), and whenever textures had to load, the game got laggy. Linus (i think, or it was digital foundry?) showed that the 3Gb version has MASSIVE fps drops on one part of rise of the tomb raider benchmarks.

And let me tell you: if the 3Gb one was the "God" you are saying, Nvidia would NEVER, EVER release it.

It has its place? Yea. I stated in my post exactly that. But in general, 1060 6Gb it is the wise choice, at least if you pretend to keep it for some years.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

12 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

Well it's easy to see why you think this way, you have no experience with one, DF showed how it can't handle what the 6GB version can even at 1080P and will stutter and show a large decrease in performance in some games, Mirror's Edge is a MASSIVE loss if you max it out, and you can't run any MSAA on the 3GB model due to Vram limitations.

They showed it was slightly weaker for the most part.  They only benchmarked a few games too.  I have said time and time again that the 6GB version performs better.  However, for most people it's not big enough to justify the price.  And yes, there are exceptions.

GTX Comparison.png

Honestly though, can you tell the difference between Ultra and Hyper?  I've never played it, so I'm genuinely curious.  I've heard there was no difference at 1080p.

12 minutes ago, Techno_Reverend said:

750Ti with a 4790K, you have some balance issues.

No shit. xD  This may have been in the post that never went though, but I said earlier that I built my system for business, not gaming.  It didn't even have a GPU for like a year.  I was a console gamer back then.  One day I stuck a 750 Ti in there and installed Mass Effect 2.  I'll upgrade eventually (probably to a 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB, depends on prices), but I'm saving up to move right now.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440