Storage Upgrade on Asus K501U

NoLoMo

Hello so I was considering of expanding the storage on my laptop, it comes with a SSD  so I am looking to add a 2TB HDD. Any recommendation as to a brand or will any laptop HDD do?

Just now, NoLoMo said:

Hello so I was considering of expanding the storage on my laptop, it comes with a SSD  so I am looking to add a 2TB HDD. Any recommendation as to a brand or will any laptop HDD do?

check compatibility, as some laptop manufacturer's are enormous douche's when is comes to upgrade *cough..hp..*cough...

check form factor. most but not all use a 2.5" form factor, you might also have compatibility for a Msata drive (not to be confused with M.2, despite wiki's arguements they are not the same) What you can fit determines what upgrades you can use.

12 minutes ago, NoLoMo said:

Get a 2.5" hdd. Wd or seagate should do 

25 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

check compatibility, as some laptop manufacturer's are enormous douche's when is comes to upgrade *cough..hp..*cough...

check form factor. most but not all use a 2.5" form factor, you might also have compatibility for a Msata drive (not to be confused with M.2, despite wiki's arguements they are not the same) What you can fit determines what upgrades you can use.

Yea thats what I figured, that's why i decided to run it by the community before hand. PCpartpicker will be my go to as far as compatibility is concerned right?

Just now, NoLoMo said:

Yea thats what I figured, that's why i decided to run it by the community before hand. PCpartpicker will be my go to as far as compatibility is concerned right?

I find pcpartpicker rather limited. they do well on the bulk of compatibility but not so well on specifics.

For bleeding edge I use ramcity( I'm Australian) They earned my loyalty when M.2 was about a month till release and they called to see if I had a motherboard compatible with the samsung xp941 I had just ordered.

4 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

I find pcpartpicker rather limited. they do well on the bulk of compatibility but not so well on specifics.

For bleeding edge I use ramcity( I'm Australian) They earned my loyalty when M.2 was about a month till release and they called to see if I had a motherboard compatible with the samsung xp941 I had just ordered.

Alright, thanks.

pretty sure the only 2tb 2.5in slim 9.5mm laptop drive is the samsung spinpoint. everyone else just rebrands this drive. its the only option no? its also 5400rpm.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p