Which component breaks down the most?

just tilt
Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
31 minutes ago, just tilt said:

So, I was wondering which components break down most frequently, and which component is most likely to not work as expected (I'm forced to RMA it) when I buy it? Excluding water coolers and custom loops. No physical damage like dropping the hard drive etc, but including temperatures within the limits of the component.
I only know of PSUs lasting a really long time, and HDDs and SSDs capable of lasting upwards of 5 years.
*Brand new
*No OCing

Fans, AIOs, and HDD's, the rest either are DOA, die quickly or last a long time, although there are a few exceptions 

So, I was wondering which components break down most frequently, and which component is most likely to not work as expected (I'm forced to RMA it) when I buy it? Excluding water coolers and custom loops. No physical damage like dropping the hard drive etc, but including temperatures within the limits of the component.
I only know of PSUs lasting a really long time, and HDDs and SSDs capable of lasting upwards of 5 years.
*Brand new
*No OCing

The only thing you would have a problem with is if your HDD fails. Temp wise if something gets too hot it will thermal throttle or shut down by itself

Hello

1 minute ago, TAHIRMIA said:

The only thing you would have a problem with is if your HDD fails. Temp wise if something gets too hot it will thermal throttle or shut down by itself

I know, but if used like a regular user, what component breaks down the most?

4 minutes ago, just tilt said:

for desktop or laptop? In my experience for laptops the mobo tends to go if you use the performance setting in windows all the time. 

5 minutes ago, just tilt said:

I would say HDD since it is used the most, but I've only ever had 1 fail on me. HW is very reliable now compared to a few years ago

Hello

4 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

for desktop or laptop? In my experience for laptops the mobo tends to go if you use the performance setting in windows all the time. 

Desktop
I've already had MOBO pins in me laptop go on me :(

The only component I've ever had issues with is the PSU. I've had 4 of them die.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

SSDs, they have the shortest lifespan of all the components

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The only component I've ever had issues with is the PSU. I've had 4 of them die.

Probably not the highest quality? My friend has a SeaSonic PSU that ran for the last 10 years with no problems whatsoever :D

1 minute ago, just tilt said:

Probably not the highest quality? My friend has a SeaSonic PSU that ran for the last 10 years with no problems whatsoever :D

They were pretty top end.

However two of the apartments were older.

It's more about environment than component quality.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

They were pretty top end.

However two of the apartments were older.

It's more about environment than component quality.

Oh wow. Okay, thanks for the memo.

31 minutes ago, just tilt said:

*Brand new
*No OCing

Fans, AIOs, and HDD's, the rest either are DOA, die quickly or last a long time, although there are a few exceptions 

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

SSDs, they have the shortest lifespan of all the components

I strongly disagree. Whilst they do have a very much measurable and finite life with modern nand and controllers SSDs have the capability to easily outlive a HDD with its fragile moving parts.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

1 minute ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

I strongly disagree. Whilst they do have a very much measurable and finite life with modern nand and controllers SSDs have the capability to easily outlive a HDD with its fragile moving parts.

they have the shortst lifespan. harddrves, fans, CPUs, GPUs, Cases, RAM, Motherboards all live longer then SSDs. sure some SSDs can last 5+ years but even motherboards with electrolytic capacitors live longer then that, the only thing i can think of that may have a shorter lifespan would be AIOs

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

54 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

they have the shortst lifespan. harddrves, fans, CPUs, GPUs, Cases, RAM, Motherboards all live longer then SSDs. sure some SSDs can last 5+ years but even motherboards with electrolytic capacitors live longer then that, the only thing i can think of that may have a shorter lifespan would be AIOs

Your putting a timescale based lifespan on a component which life is entirely based on usage case scenarios. In a high wear data centre environment where hundreds of gigabytes of writes can be occurring every week I would agree with your 3-5 year estimate. However in the same environment I would bet on a modern SSDs still out living a high speed spinning hard disc (lower speed archival drives can last longer but normally with an entirely different usage case).

In a domestic environment where the drive is powered up and only receiving small write levels there is no reason an ssd couldn't last in excess of 10 years alongside other silicon based components.

Moving parts will always be the first port of call where points of failure are concerned.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

5 hours ago, just tilt said:

If you size a good quality power supply properly and keep the dust bunnies from breeding in it, it is likely to last until the sun goes nova (barring some manufacturing defect).

If you never clean it, expect it to fry.

If it is of a substandard quality, it won't last long.

If it is forced to supply more wattage than it is rated for, it will whimper as it dies.

Store bought prebuilds, typically have power supplies of dubious quality and are pushing the limits of their wattage ratings. Drop one more component into the computer or swapping a component (like a video card) with a higher power draw, pretty much will slowly kill the PSU.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

Puget Systems wrote a cool publication showing the kinds of failure rates they saw in the equipment they sold in 2016:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2016-872/

They say motherboards have some of the highest failure rates because of their complexity. Hard drives (of course) and video cards also have very high failure rates. ECC ram and Xeon processors stand out as being quite significantly more reliable than the variants sold to consumers.

I want to say SSDs and HDDs since I burn through those like no tomorrow, but I think I've had more case speakers die.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

ram and hard drives

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

In our workplace:

#1 - Laptop Batteries

#2 - HDDs

#3 - Desktop Fans/PSUs (almost always die due to dust bunnies)

The component most likely to be DOA - RAM

For me psu's, mice and headsets. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

4 hours ago, arbellason55 said:

mice and headsets

Those are not components buddy, those are called peripherals. Thanks for the memo tho :)
I will be going for a "SafeSonic" PSU, so I don't really worry about it too much :D

3 minutes ago, just tilt said:

Those are not components buddy, those are called peripherals. Thanks for the memo tho :)
I will be going for a "SafeSonic" PSU, so I don't really worry about it too much :D

They are components if you look at what the word means. People make the distinction arbitrarily.

I mean graphics cards are peripherals too, they plug into "Peripheral Component Interfaces"

16 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I want to say SSDs and HDDs since I burn through those like no tomorrow, but I think I've had more case speakers die.

case speakers?  whoa haven't seen those in a while.

I can safely say that every single seagate HDD i've ever owned has failed.  EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.

First was a Seagate ST251-1 , 40mb MFM from the late 80s.  That died in 2 years from stiction.

Most recently, had a handful of portable USB ones die as well as a stack of 1.5tb barracudas. 

Ever since those, i haven't had a single Seagate HDD fail on me, mostly because i stopped buying seagate out of principle.

I have several 10k RPM raptors and velociraptors that have been absolute workhorses, as well as some WD Reds and HGST enterprise drives.

it's a shame now that Seagate/WD/HGST are all the same company now.

I'm not an expert! In fact I'm usually just 1 google search ahead of you.