Windows vs Windows Server Performance

Who did the filming on this video? I feel if the operator was constantly shifting or something, it is incredibly distracting.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

34 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Who did the filming on this video? I feel if the operator was constantly shifting or something, it is incredibly distracting.

Shaky cam! Now in Linus flavour!

I thought the video was alright. Might be an eye opener for those who have never used Windows Server. Not excellent, but not terrible either. Still a dumbass crappy thumbnail though, so I disliked the video.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Windows server is tuned for service performance and reliability, not application performance.  I'd be kinda suprised if anyone actually thought that it would somehow have better gaming performance than a normal version of Windows.  The only way you can buy a better performing version of Windows is to contract with Microsoft to compile a hardware specific version that uses an architecture specific instruction set; which would admittedly cost a butt ton more than $600.

8 minutes ago, heyitswither said:

What's up with the channel super fun or posters ads? Not been selling ad spots or what?

Well if they can push sales on their own goods, it helps them make money without relying on sponsors. They probably decided against having effectively "two" adspots.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

24 minutes ago, heyitswither said:

okay, but with the channel super fun ones, they aren't making much money off of that because all that is is youtube views.

And?

Windows server may also have additional resource hungry processes or code that runs, which may not be present on windows 10.

6 minutes ago, heyitswither said:

well just saying they'd make more money off of sponsors

Depends. They also want to promote their own merch. And since the Windows video wasn't on CSF, the posters for CSF can get an increased boost of exposure, since on a LTT video, it's advertising CSF merch.

And if they don't promote their merch, they certainly won't get a lot of sales.

1 minute ago, Razor512 said:

Windows server may also have additional resource hungry processes or code that runs, which may not be present on windows 10.

Depends. If you install Windows Server Core, without a GUI, and no "Roles" installed, it runs incredibly light.

But as you start to add roles, yes, that can affect performance in other areas. It entirely depends on what you've got configured.

Plus Windows Server prioritizes background processes and tasks over applications by default, since any good Server App is going to run as a Service, not a desktop Application.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Depends. If you install Windows Server Core, without a GUI, and no "Roles" installed, it runs incredibly light.

But as you start to add roles, yes, that can affect performance in other areas. It entirely depends on what you've got configured.

Plus Windows Server prioritizes background processes and tasks over applications by default, since any good Server App is going to run as a Service, not a desktop Application.

I wonder if they could do a few tests, find server applications which can work on both windows 10 and windows server, then benchmark both to see if windows server has any type of optimization that will benefit it for server style workloads.

1 minute ago, Razor512 said:

I wonder if they could do a few tests, find server applications which can work on both windows 10 and windows server, then benchmark both to see if windows server has any type of optimization that will benefit it for server style workloads.

There are lots of Server applications that run on both. Plex Media server, for example, will run on just about anything.

I highly doubt there will be a large difference on the same hardware though. Windows Server might get a slight boost, because it optimizes for Background Services, which Plex Media Server runs as, but assuming the computer is otherwise doing nothing, it shouldn't make any difference at all.

In fact, it could make benchmarks run worse on Server, because it's giving more processing resources to the background Plex service.

There's one thing Linus could've tested, is Windows Updates less annoying on Windows Server 2016 than on Windows 10?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I feel like this would go better under a catagory of 'Debunking Computer Urban Legends' rather than an 'investigation'.  Everyone at LMG and most people would already fully understand that regardless which flavor of Windows, it's all the same kernel and it'll run a game or consumer application just as well either way.

That said, there there are people who believe this and other silly things and it'd be interesting to see a series that debunks those beliefs.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I feel like this would go better under a catagory of 'Debunking Computer Urban Legends' rather than an 'investigation'.  Everyone at LMG and most people would already fully understand that regardless which flavor of Windows, it's all the same kernel and it'll run a game or consumer application just as well either way.

That said, there there are people who believe this and other silly things and it'd be interesting to see a series that debunks those beliefs.

Indeed, I agree. I think if they had actually put it under a series about computer myths or whatever, then it would be more relevant, since it then appears more educational rather then "let's try this and see what happens dur hur"

21 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

There's one thing Linus could've tested, is Windows Updates less annoying on Windows Server 2016 than on Windows 10?

Yes and no.

By default? It's literally the same system. Except you get less updates that require a system reboot. And it'll be more picky about what time it'll reboot. IMO, with all the other compromises, not worth using as a Desktop OS.

You can, however, use Windows Server to configure a "Windows Server Update Service" (WSUS). You can then just never approve any updates... (I do NOT recommend this... but it does work to fully disable automatic updates).

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, I agree. I think if they had actually put it under a series about computer myths or whatever, then it would be more relevant, since it then appears more educational rather then "let's try this and see what happens dur hur"

Yeah, I feel that's the problem. It's a 'stupid question' and if you go in pretending to be looking at tit seriously, you still look kinda stupid and it feels a bit patronizing.  On the other hand, if you go in kinda Mythbusters style where it COULD be silly, you even express your own doubts, and just say 'But let's put it to the test!' it's a lot easier to swallow.  Not to mention such an angle could better educate people who buy into such beliefs.

One of my favorite is that having more short cuts or files on your desktop consumes a lot of RAM, like, performance harming levels of RAM.  (Though desktops covered in shortcuts and files is totally ugly!)

Another time, someone was convinced that they had to ensure all their Ethernet cables were absolutely short as possible to reduce PING in games.  I don't mean 'A 1000ft coil of ethernet cable to reach 7 feet will have some issues' but like 'every excess centimeter matters!'

You could harvest all sorts of ideas from threads all over this forum alone.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, I feel that's the problem. It's a 'stupid question' and if you go in pretending to be looking at tit seriously, you still look kinda stupid and it feels a bit patronizing.  On the other hand, if you go in kinda Mythbusters style where it COULD be silly, you even express your own doubts, and just say 'But let's put it to the test!' it's a lot easier to swallow.  Not to mention such an angle could better educate people who buy into such beliefs.

One of my favorite is that having more short cuts or files on your desktop consumes a lot of RAM, like, performance harming levels of RAM.  (Though desktops covered in shortcuts and files is totally ugly!)

Another time, someone was convinced that they had to ensure all their Ethernet cables were absolutely short as possible to reduce PING in games.  I don't mean 'A 1000ft coil of ethernet cable to reach 7 feet will have some issues' but like 'every excess centimeter matters!'

You could harvest all sorts of ideas from threads all over this forum alone.

Very true - god that ethernet one... Like, sure, 100m vs 1m of cable might have a different latency... By 1ms maybe? But even then, I doubt it.

Reminds me of those people at the Gas Pump who sit there after the tank is full, clicking the pump 30 times before deciding "NOW it's full!"... No. Now you just wasted $3 of fuel that got sucked back into the vapour return mechanism that every modern gas pump has built in. You literally just paid for gas you gave back to the gas station!

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

might be brandon getting used to the easy rig? i havent watched yet.

Main PC
CPU: i3-4160. RAM: 2x4GB Kingston ValueRam. GPU: Asus GTX750Ti OC 2GB (Palit StormOC 750Ti Bios). CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X.
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3. Storage: 1x Samsung 840 Evo. RAID 0: WD Scorpio Blue 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB. PSU: Corsair CX500M.
Network: some TP-Link card that doesnt support 5.0Ghz. Case: Casecom Neptune CP-626 (the cooler doesnt fit so the side panel stays off).
Mouse: Logitech G430. Headphones: Sennheiser RS195. Keyboard: Lenovo KU0225. OS: Windows 10 Pro

stuff that isnt my main pc
Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E531 - Ubuntu 17.04 (Gnome Desktop)
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B - Not in Use
Raspberry Pi 3 - RetroPie

Phones/Tablets
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M7 - Dead Charging Port - Lineage 14.1 (Android 7.1.1)
HTC One M8 - Dead Sim Port -  Lineage 15 (Android 8.0.0)
Telstra 4GX Plus (ZTE Blade A462) - Android M Stock
iPhone 4S - Dead Battery Sensor (Stuck on too hot warning) - Latest iOS 9
iPhone 5 - MAIN PHONE - iOS 10.3.3

Consoles
Xbox One
Xbox 360 S
PlayStation 2 Fat

Headset: Plantronics RIG400HX 

42 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Reminds me of those people at the Gas Pump who sit there after the tank is full, clicking the pump 30 times before deciding "NOW it's full!"... No. Now you just wasted $3 of fuel that got sucked back into the vapour return mechanism that every modern gas pump has built in. You literally just paid for gas you gave back to the gas station!

A few weeks ago, I saw someone do that, they filled the tank, and pushed the trigger until the gas leaked out around the nozzle, then they went and started the car with it still in there, and pushed it a few more times. The gas station worker just stared at them (likely didn't want to step out and explain to them that it is not the best idea to do that, since it was cold outside.

I guess some people want the tank to be filled as much as possible before going on a long drive.

does windows server 2016 allow you to remove the new IE/Edge? When I was at uni i used the free windows server they gave us because i could remove IE and the admin tools were fun to play with

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

does windows server 2016 allow you to remove the new IE/Edge? When I was at uni i used the free windows server they gave us because i could remove IE and the admin tools were fun to play with

Windows Server 2016 does not have edge (Or Windows store / apps for that matter). I don't remember if you could remove IE or not (Pretty sure you can though).

Yeah, I like Windows Server a lot because it lets you pick what features to install.

Last time in Server 2008R2 and 2012R2 you had to activate the "Feature -> WiFi Support/Service" first. After that i could install the Driver.

I see that the M.2 drive was inserted vertically on the motherboard, without a screw to hold it in place. Is that safe ?

I know it's safe on that test bench with a horizontal motherboard, but what about in an average case, where the motherboard is vertical ?