Windows vs Windows Server Performance

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If you install Windows Server Core, without a GUI

Actually, Server Core does have a GUI, but it's very minimalistic.

It doesn't have explorer.exe, so there's no desktop or taskbar, but it's still a GUI.

If you want no GUI whatsoever, then you need the Nano Server.

3 hours ago, alextulu said:

Actually, Server Core does have a GUI, but it's very minimalistic.

It doesn't have explorer.exe, so there's no desktop or taskbar, but it's still a GUI.

If you want no GUI whatsoever, then you need the Nano Server.

Sorry, but I think it was understood that when I said no GUI, I meant bare bones and no desktop. It has a terminal, and through that you can launch various applications, which is technically a GUI, but only in the most basic sense.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes and no.

By default? It's literally the same system. Except you get less updates that require a system reboot. And it'll be more picky about what time it'll reboot. IMO, with all the other compromises, not worth using as a Desktop OS.

You can, however, use Windows Server to configure a "Windows Server Update Service" (WSUS). You can then just never approve any updates... (I do NOT recommend this... but it does work to fully disable automatic updates).

Pfft, just set up your own SCCM server at home scrub.

14 hours ago, heyitswither said:

well just saying they'd make more money off of sponsors

the reason CSF is a money sink is because making a sponsored CSF isnt very easy, and i really dont think the beef jerky folks paid the same of money for their name being mentioned on CSF as what for example intel paid for the sub zero video.

and beyond that, their only way of boosting earning per video, is boosting views.

You couldn't install the WiFi drivers because they aren't digitally signed for the server editions. I'm a little surprised you were able to get the video drivers to work since I wasn't able to get mine to work on server 2008 with out trying to bypass the digitally signatures. Also as @zMeul said by default the server OS is setup to give background services priority. I'm sure if you changed it to programs you would see that they would have the a closer performance if not the same.

15 hours ago, alextulu said:

I see that the M.2 drive was inserted vertically on the motherboard, without a screw to hold it in place. Is that safe ?

I know it's safe on that test bench with a horizontal motherboard, but what about in an average case, where the motherboard is vertical ?

Vertical m.2 slot, is more secure than horizontal ones. I do that too, when doing a quick test on a m.2 drive. No need to worry about it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Wendell !!

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

So much hate on Facebook and YouTube for this video. I must watch LTT videos for a different reason than most people lol. Fun video, we knew what the outcome would be but now we've got the facts. 

On 1/28/2017 at 3:10 AM, NumLock21 said:

Vertical m.2 slot, is more secure than horizontal ones. I do that too, when doing a quick test on a m.2 drive. No need to worry about it.

I googled, and I found out, that there special brackets, that come with the motherboard, which allow you to secure the vertical m.2 drive with a screw at the top, just like horizontal drives.

3 minutes ago, alextulu said:

I googled, and I found out, that there special brackets, that come with the motherboard, which allow you to secure the vertical m.2 drive with a screw at the top, just like horizontal drives.

Yes it comes with the board. Purpose is to prevent it from knocking over and snapping the drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list