Mac Sales In Decline As Others Gain Traction

Guest Kloaked
Go to solution Solved by Okjoek,

I wouldn't mind having a Macbook, but I don't like their anti-tinkerer stances in terms of the hardware.

CLICK FOR TEH SAUCES

Hey guys, Lew here back with another annoying video. I'm gonna sit here and talk to the camera like I'm an edgy teenager trying to act all cool and chipper while behind the camera. Today we're going to talk about the decline in Apple Mac device sales. So sit back and buckle up your PCMR belts, because this news comes straight from 9to5mac.com - link is above is you didn't see :^)

Also, that's enough with the jabs at Lew...

maybe

It’s not surprising that Mac sales dropped for Apple in 2016 as they experienced their first year over year sales decline since 2001. What is interesting, however, is that as Mac sales dropped roughly 10% and personal computers overall dropped 5.7% for the year, the top four leaders in the market all saw growth as Apple was pushed to number five.

Although Mac sales were up in Q4 2016 compared to Q4 2015, an analyst note today from Bloomberg’s Anand Srinivasan and Wei Mok has revealed Apple has dropped to the fifth largest PC vendor, with ASUS (ASUSTeK) overtaking fourth place. The top four vendors are now Lenovo, HP, Dell, and ASUS.

While the top four vendors all saw growth in large part due to Apple’s weak year, Dell saw the most growth at just over 10%.

Well wouldya look at that, fellas! More and more people are choosing to either stick with their older Apple devices or buy from other companies like Dell, who saw the largest growth in sales compared to the other brands. 

2016-personal-computer-market-share.png

I'm surprised Lenovo is up there. I know their Yoga laptops/tablets are fairly popular, but I didn't know they were popular enough to push them up to the top. I'm not surprised to see HP in second as they've been killing it with their new stuff, and I'm not surprised that Asus is where they are. But this is about Apple and their slow decline in sales on Mac devices.

How can Apple make amends with customers who are sticking with older devices or even maybe purchasing from other brands? Well one commenter on the article has an idea, and they happen to be a Belgian waffle so you know $100% that they're being completely serious.

wqedas.JPG

[insert kappa gif here]

apple-shipments-and-growth.png

Pretty pictures for your viewing pleasure, brought to you by Squarespace (not really). Squarespace. Build it beautiful.

Although they have a smaller share of the hardware market, Microsoft has recently been touting that Mac users are switching to the Surface in greater numbers than ever before. Microsoft is included in the ‘Others’ category in the graph above.

This doesn't surprise me that some creators would move to Surfaces as Microsoft has been hitting that market hard with the dankest features and updates to cater to them. I personally hope they take another look at their audio drivers right down to the kernel and get some shit working better for audio creation (namely latency).

Anyways though, what are your thoughts and/or opinions? Be sure to leave a thumbs up or a thumbs down and hit that subscribe button for more spam.

Our sponsor for this episode is dbraokayjustplsstopwithdbrandweknowaboutthemandeverythingjustplsitstimetostophashtagitstimetostop

Considering that a lot of people were holding out for the entirety of 2016, this makes perfect sense and to me doesn't indicate any downward trend for Apple. 

I certainly wouldn't have bought a new 15" Mac in 2016 seeing as new ones were almost certainly being launched in Q4. And anyone who couldn't afford to wait would buy something else. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So Microsoft's annoying ads on TV and the new MBP being a waste of time is making Macs die?

Yay, I guess. OSX isn't bad, so it's a little saddening. 

idk

Im actually looking to buy a MacBook Pro. Imo Apple makes the best prosumer laptops. Sure they are pricy, but I mean I already have an iPhone and an Apple Watch and a massive iTunes Library, it would only make sense to buy a MacBook.

MacOS is so pretty and imo better than Windows for the day to day. That is not to say Windows is not as good.

Also I wont have to deal with Windows updates when I need to give a presentation xD 

I kid but really though Windows updates are annoying af. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Im actually looking to buy a MacBook Pro. Imo Apple makes the best prosumer laptops. Sure they are pricy, but I mean I already have an iPhone and an Apple Watch and a massive iTunes Library, it would only make sense to buy a MacBook.

MacOS is so pretty and imo better than Windows for the day to day. That is not to say Windows is not as good.

Also I wont have to deal with Windows updates when I need to give a presentation xD 

I kid but really though Windows updates are annoying af. 

I recently Hackintoshed my laptop, and besides being one of the most annoying operating systems to install, OSX is super nice. No distractions, and it feels smooth and different, like Linux. Game performance was a little worse, but without DX, I expected as such. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

but without DX, I expected as such. 

and without powerful dGPUs. The Hackintosh could get a nice video card in there but yeah Apple does not use DX. Couldnt you dual boot Windows and MacOS? That could get around the performance limitations. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I'm still perfectly fine with my perfect condition 2013 rmbp and have no intention on upgrading for the next 2-3 years maybe. I also have a Surface Pro 4. I think pc (laptops specifically) are built with better and better quality, they now last much longer compared to the yesteryears laptop.  

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

and without powerful dGPUs. The Hackintosh could get a nice video card in there but yeah Apple does not use DX. Couldnt you dual boot Windows and MacOS? That could get around the performance limitations. 

It's got a dualcore i5 and an IGPU, I'm not gaming much on it anyway. It has eGPU support and running dualboot fucks up the eGPU support apparently (I will try it though) 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

It's got a dualcore i5 and an IGPU, I'm not gaming much on it anyway. It has eGPU support and running dualboot fucks up the eGPU support apparently (I will try it though) 

lol I don't plan on doing serious gaming either when I get mine. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

lol I don't plan on doing serious gaming either when I get mine. 

pretty much. I used it for a week when my PC was at my dad's place and it handles CSGO at low res low settings with an alright framerate (90ish)

idk

The new MBP are freaking expensive, I don't expect much people to buy them but they are pretty f*ck*ing good machines. 

I have no regrets

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

4 minutes ago, Qwertious said:

The new MBP are freaking expensive, I don't expect much people to buy them but they are pretty f*ck*ing good machines. 

I have no regrets

Plenty of people bought them. Sales for Q4 are up. What's down is sales for the entirety of 2016, which makes perfect sense seeing as everyone was expecting new Macs to be released in Q4 2016 and a lot of people weren't willing to wait that long. 

So, at the end of the day, this isn't really news. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have predicted sales to be low for 2016. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

everyone was expecting new Macs to be released in Q4 2016

Yup I was on of these, I waited a bloody whole year and tbh, it did not disappoint me one bit. Compared to my sister's late 2015 which I borrowed for nearly 6 months. There was very noticeable weight reduction and after using the keyboard, I am in love, cant go back to regular chiclet keys now

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I recently Hackintoshed my laptop, and besides being one of the most annoying operating systems to install, OSX is super nice. No distractions, and it feels smooth and different, like Linux. Game performance was a little worse, but without DX, I expected as such. 

game performance seems to be not a priority in apple's eyes for some reason. Their drivers tend to lag behind windows and linux in terms of supporting newer opengl versions. And they are even blocking vulkan from coming onto mac OSX rather than riding that momentum of cross-platform game engines...

I think what a lot of people appreciate in apple's laptops is that they rarely release crap low quality stuff, despite being overpriced. The rest of the laptop market does have good stuff but also has a lot of crap. E.g. Models with terrible underpowered speakers or ugly screens. 

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

game performance seems to be not a priority in apple's eyes for some reason. Their drivers tend to lag behind windows and linux in terms of supporting newer opengl versions. And they are even blocking vulkan from coming onto mac OSX rather than riding that momentum of cross-platform game engines...

Because no one buys a mac for games that why. Their customers priority isn't gaming.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Because no one buys a mac for games that why. Their customers priority isn't gaming.

mine sure was :p, still no regrets my map was my entry to pc gaming and boiii did i game on it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

nobody buys a mac for games because apple hasn't embraced it. they can though if they want to, steam has been on mac osx for ages. If apple does embrace PC gaming it will only add value to their platform.

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I pity your constant kernel panics

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

@Kloaked

Lenovo is massive in Asia. Easily one of the biggest pre-built and laptop manufacturer in China among other places. Lenovo is also very big in enterprise/business as their ThinkPad series is known as the Nokia 3510 of the laptop world 

49 minutes ago, Humbug said:

nobody buys a mac for games because apple hasn't embraced it. they can though if they want to, steam has been on mac osx for ages. If apple does embrace PC gaming it will only add value to their platform.

No Apple cannot simply embrace gaming anymore. Without DX they will never be more than a alternative to Linux gaming. And to add insult to injury, their dogged determination to have their own special snowflake solution to everything will forever ensure that no sane developer will ever take them seriously at this point. Apple made their decision in the 90s and now they are stuck with that decision. 

I think the reason for Lenovo is not their yoga stuff, but their professional thinkpads.

My school uses only Lenovo computers, with many thinkcenters and thinkpads. Used in many other schools and businesses too.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I have many clients in my shop continuing to use their "legacy" MacBook Pros. Why? Because they would rather install an SSD than pay the price Apple is asking for their new devices. Clients ask how you can get a Windows PC for 300 bucks but cannot touch a Mac for less than a grand.

I explain the manufacturer thing vs proprietary setup, etc... bla bla bla. But they (clients and Apple customers) find it very hard to believe that the advancements in technology have reduced the price on hardware, making things more affordable, but Apple doesn't follow this path. And, when they have an issue and find out the hardware is completely proprietary and Apple wants to charge them the cost of a MacBook to fix their device, they get pretty frustrated.

I do believe that most consumers buy because of the brand name, and not with much extra education on the hardware capabilities. Many Mac users cannot fathom a 1000+ to surf the internet and watch YouTube videos. So, many of them seem to be switching to tablets when they retire their "legacy" MacBooks.