AMD may be cherry picking review samples

Dylan522p

NVIDIA does it to, whats your point? that companies never lie? what dream world do you live in?

So we cant live ina world filled with sun shine, rainbows and ponys...=(

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I wish they cherry picked parts for me...

Oh wait they did, just they tried to sell it for $830.

It's called the silicon lottery, have you heard of it?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Lmao are you seriously going to take advice from toms that heavily?

They are by far the most bias site i have come across, they have a passionate love for the blue and green team.

I would take a look at every site you can find and make an informed decision on whether or not

AMD is playing dirty. I am in no way saying they are not, but do some homework first.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

everyone does this, who gives a pickle..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

And this is news how?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

lol this is the worst article ever and just shows that Tom's Hardware doesn't understand how the card works. 290s are performing the same as 290xs because they have more thermal headroom, and run more consistently at higher boost clocks than the 290x can with the reference cooler. 

But, it also has fewer cores. Yes it has more headroom for overclocking but each MHz increase will give you less performance compared to the 290X. A 10% overclock on a 290X is a much bigger performance increase than a 10% overclock on the 290. Seems strange that both Linus and Tom's hardware both got bad overclocking 290Xs, but golden sample 290s. Might be a coinsident so I wouldn't really accuse AMD of cherry picking review samples (which is a really bad thing and should never be done by anyway, anyone who does it deserves a ton of shit thrown at them).

About Intel and Nvidia doing the same, is there any proof? Last time I checked, neither Nvidia nor Intel cherry picks review samples according to reviewers such as Linus (pretty sure he said that in one video, and other reviewers have said so in the past as well).

Hmmm this explains why the 290x that linus got is a poor overclocker

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Would be cool to see a comparison of the GPU's manufactures send to be tested by testers and then have the testers also test some that they bought off the street (so to speak), to see if those are the same. Would be very interesting to prove/disprove this binning/cherry picking theory. Results would have a big implication on sales. ;)

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Hmmm this explains why the 290x that linus got is a poor overclocker

Because there isn't even one R9-290X that can overclock well, because 28nm is on the limit.

In fact the R9-290X can't even get most time the 1GHZ clock it's normaly between 800-900mhz after 5min of gameplay.

The R9-290X is just to hot for overclocking.

RTX2070OC 

Actually, these benchmarks should be done by a manufacture refunding the price of the part to be tested from the testers buying it at their local reseller (store) first so its a totally random test and not a cherry picked test. Manufacture should not know which reseller (store) it was bought from till after the test. This way the testers can buy from the on-line cheapo store or the highest priced store or both and then get a true sampling.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

which is why you wait for a better average of reviews and benchmarks before you speculate on price/performance or build quality.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But, it also has fewer cores. Yes it has more headroom for overclocking but each MHz increase will give you less performance compared to the 290X. A 10% overclock on a 290X is a much bigger performance increase than a 10% overclock on the 290. Seems strange that both Linus and Tom's hardware both got bad overclocking 290Xs, but golden sample 290s. Might be a coinsident so I wouldn't really accuse AMD of cherry picking review samples (which is a really bad thing and should never be done by anyway, anyone who does it deserves a ton of shit thrown at them).

About Intel and Nvidia doing the same, is there any proof? Last time I checked, neither Nvidia nor Intel cherry picks review samples according to reviewers such as Linus (pretty sure he said that in one video, and other reviewers have said so in the past as well).

At stock 290 runs 12-15% higher clocks than 290x, it has 9% fewer cores. That goes a long way to describing why there is only a few frames between these too cards in these reviews.

Reviews of Haswell CPUs have them hitting 4.7-4.8Ghz with relatively low volts (no more than 1.3v), some getting 4.9-5Ghz. TTL was sent 2 Haswell chips that hit 4.9Ghz at less than 1.3v. He also said in his 290x review that Nvidia had sent him (and do send) cherrypicked GPUs and was wondering why it appeared AMD hadn't.

Morals? Isn't that like borderline fraud? What if a keyboard maker would give reviewers an amazing version of a keyboard handmade just for them, then sell a crappy one to the public? It's not that much different.

Amd or nvidia doesn't garuntee over clocks. Hell, some even void the waruntee. Reviewers don't have to over clock and then everything is entirely fair. At stock, even the best overclocker matches the worst. The product still sells as advertised

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

The 290xs aren't actually overclocking though, if you go read PcPers review their 290x only actually ran around 800 mhz most of the time once it had heated up, so we're talking about a 200mhz difference. That actually can close the performance gap. 

when you go to a job interview you wear a suite right? even though the job may not require one, same thing here. This is a non-issue blown way out of proportion.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti