January 20th, 2017 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

For that Asrock SFF board, it would be nice to have SO-DIMM ram that looks like their desktop parts. A SO-DIMM version of the Corsair Dominator Platinum or G.Skill Trident Z would be nice, adding RGB to them would be even better! :D

Kingston did just that a while back, then they stop making it.

Oh and MXM needs RGB too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

20 hours ago, unijab said:

Linus you dont have to have a fibre channel SAN to have a SAN... you can also do FCoE and iSCSI over 10GbE for a "SAN"

None of us are really going to convince @LinusTech that his views on the SAN matter is based on a lot of incorrect information. But his points on why he is using Windows Server are all valid and I agree with them.

Also most of the storage server projects started when LMG was much smaller and things evolved from there. If we look at what LMG has now and what they spent to get there a Dell or Netapp SAN could have easily been purchased, but at no point was there a single expenditure (other than the NVMe purchase) that could have funded SAN controllers with all the required/equivalent features.

A Netapp 2650 with internal SSDs and expansion trays of HDDs would far and away out perform even the new NVMe server and you can serve SMB 3 with RDMA directly off it. Also the management of it is actually very simple, that is a selling point of these systems over build you own, we know that :P.

At this point I think for LMG Storage Spaces Direct (S2D) is the best future project to move towards. This will give redundant and scalable storage with very good performance that can directly host SMB shares and run any VMs they want. unRAID is very limited in comparison but wins out in hardware requirements since S2D requires 3/4 servers versus 1.

StarWind might also be worth looking at, never used it but heard good things about it. I have used their free iSCSI initiator in the past though.

Glad to hear that the call for writers went well. I look forward to good results, and I wish the best to Linus, his family, and the team he has formed. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

How stupid is it that I've had my own name in major film credit rolls, but one of my friends who landed one of the three positions at LMG, I was on Skype today going 'Linus talked about you on the WAN show!  SENPAI NOTICED YOU!' like some tween fangirl? :/ 

I might be a little late. But LGR gaming on Youtube Has a working Hot wheels PC that he had to repair. He know everything about that systems.