"We’re About to Lose Net Neutrality — And the Internet as We Know It"

TopWargamer

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/11/so-the-internets-about-to-lose-its-net-neutrality/

Net neutrality is a dead man walking. The execution date isn’t set, but it could be days, or months (at best). And since net neutrality is the principle forbidding huge telecommunications companies from treating users, websites, or apps differently — say, by letting some work better than others over their pipes — the dead man walking isn’t some abstract or far-removed principle just for wonks: It affects the internet as we all know it.

Once upon a time, companies like AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, and others declared a war on the internet’s foundational principle: that its networks should be “neutral” and users don’t need anyone’s permission to invent, create, communicate, broadcast, or share online. The neutral and level playing field provided by permissionless innovation has empowered all of us with the freedom to express ourselves and innovate online without having to seek the permission of a remote telecom executive.

But today, that freedom won’t survive much longer if a federal court — the second most powerful court in the nation behind the Supreme Court, the DC Circuit — is set to strike down the nation’s net neutrality law, a rule adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 2010. Some will claim the new solution “splits the baby” in a way that somehow doesn’t kill net neutrality and so we should be grateful. But make no mistake: Despite eight years of public and political activism by multitudes fighting for freedom on the internet, a court decision may soon take it away.

Oh my this is a bad thing. Of course I want net neutrality, and so do you guys (and if you don't, we need to have a chat). Not really much more to say on the matter. All we can do now is wait to see what the court rules. If they rule to break net neutrality, well, we're essentially screwed. 

COMIC SANS

balls

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Of course I don't want net neutrality, and neither do you guys (and if you do, we need to have a chat).

We can have a chat right now then, though I doubt that's what you wanted to say.

We can have a chat right now then, though I doubt that's what you wanted to say.

Oh woops. I need to go fix that RIGHT NOW.

>.>

COMIC SANS

[ERROR : FREEDOM HAS EXPIRED]

Crap.

Or worse,

Shit.

Error 404: Freedom not found.

[ERROR : FREEDOM HAS EXPIRED]

Was this a pirated copy of freedom by any chance, I had one of those and a fresh install fixed it right up.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Freedom lost? What freedom?

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

I detect a bit of sensationalism from wired, anyone else ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Does this affect the rest of the world?

There's a possibility that it will, but I think for the most it just applies to American ISPs. 

COMIC SANS

This is something I'd boycott against in the cold snow rain fire and hell raining from the sky.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait, i should be safe right O.o

But seriously, what the hell are they doing

Time for US citizens to stand up for them selves and be counted, time for the rest of the world to ensure we dont follow down the rabbit hole if they go

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

why don't we try and make our own isp service that will not cheat the people and that will not put data caps on our customers, not a whole new international isp, but a local one in our respective locations offering fiber optic

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

There's a possibility that it will, but I think for the most it just applies to American ISPs.

Few, Australia seems to be escaping the recent internet issues for the most part

Time for US citizens to stand up for them selves and be counted, time for the rest of the world to ensure we dont follow down the rabbit hole if they go

/thread

so wait

if net neutrality is removed

then ISPs will have the power to do as they want  right ?

people will go with a service provider that doesn't throttle

not to mention this is only happening in the US right now

outside the US some countries have it and some dont

u dont see people losing their minds over it

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.