The old TN or IPS question...

CoolNameHere
Go to solution Solved by Guest Darth Revan,

Let's get the bullshit out of the way of all the so called reviews of monitors. TN doesn't suck. Bad TN sucks.

Similar thing can be said about IPS, while IPS is superior on paper, in reality it's not always better than TN. A good IPS monitor will more expensive. So stay away from really cheap IPS monitors.

That said like anything in life, it comes down to what you want. Do you really want 144hz and 1 or 2ms response time and are willing to sacrifice some of the colors, then go for TN. If you don't need 144hz refresh rate and you're ok with 5ms response time, and you want a good quality display then go for IPS. Just don't go for the absolute cheapest one you'll find.

Personally I would go for the IPS because I honestly don't care about 3 million frames per second refresh rate and -1 trillion milliseconds response time. I just want a good quality display, but that's just me.

So I'm looking at buying a new display for my rig. I've been using an old Asus TN 1080p 60hz and it's been really holding me back. I've been eyeing this newly released Acer Predator XB241YU, not many reviews on it yet but it has a TN panel. It has all the specs I like expect for TN, and I say that because I don't know any better and everywhere you read says TN sucks. I only game on my PC but not limited to FPS, no video editing or stuff like that. I don't understand all this IPS hype I guess because I have never had a comparable spec TN and IPS side by side to look at. Thanks for any help guys

4 minutes ago, CoolNameHere said:

So I'm looking at buying a new display for my rig. I've been using an old Asus TN 1080p 60hz and it's been really holding me back. I've been eyeing this newly released Acer Predator XB241YU, not many reviews on it yet but it has a TN panel. It has all the specs I like expect for TN, and I say that because I don't know any better and everywhere you read says TN sucks. I only game on my PC but not limited to FPS, no video editing or stuff like that. I don't understand all this IPS hype I guess because I have never had a comparable spec TN and IPS side by side to look at. Thanks for any help guys

I've just moved from a slower IPS panel to a faster TN panel. Blacks aren't as black but you get used to that after a while. Colours aren't as vibrant but that may just be due to the TN being matte and the IPS being glossy

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

I actually moved from using a slightly faster (5ms) TN panel to a slightly slower (7ms) IPS panel (both are 60Hz @ 1080p) and honestly I can't go back. Colors just pop so much more, and things like Fallout 4 and GTA 5 go from looking kinda bleak to incredibly vivid.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

5 minutes ago, CoolNameHere said:

IPS has much better colour quality and usually better graphical fidelity as a whole, TN aren't "bad" at all they just lose colour depth and quality and have over all less fidelity in images, TN panels are usually used for high refresh rate monitors like those 144hz ones, I honesly don't see any reason to buy a 60hz TN monitor, as you'd get higher quality with the IPS one and even my IPS LG monitor manages 75hz alright.

It isn't so much a hype, IPS simply has better image, TN has better refresh rates, thus why buying a 60hz TN panel makes no sense with all the IPS offerings out there.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, CoolNameHere said:

since you're not doing any colour correcting work then just go for the IPS.

I personally prefer IPS over TN even if I didn't do colour correcting work and just do gaming. I'm used to IPS now and I would never consider buying TN ever again.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Great feedback! I guess I want something that is 1440p has gsync with 120-144hz refresh rate. Not so much of a selection there, unless you spend $700+ which it looks like I might have to :/ if I go the IPS route. 

If you play twitch shooters like Counter Strike, stick with TN. But if you don't, or you don't play it competitively, then go for IPS.

The colours are much more vivid, which makes games more enjoyable imo.

Roses are red, Templars wear white. 

Will you take Jerusalem with me tonight?

Let's get the bullshit out of the way of all the so called reviews of monitors. TN doesn't suck. Bad TN sucks.

Similar thing can be said about IPS, while IPS is superior on paper, in reality it's not always better than TN. A good IPS monitor will more expensive. So stay away from really cheap IPS monitors.

That said like anything in life, it comes down to what you want. Do you really want 144hz and 1 or 2ms response time and are willing to sacrifice some of the colors, then go for TN. If you don't need 144hz refresh rate and you're ok with 5ms response time, and you want a good quality display then go for IPS. Just don't go for the absolute cheapest one you'll find.

Personally I would go for the IPS because I honestly don't care about 3 million frames per second refresh rate and -1 trillion milliseconds response time. I just want a good quality display, but that's just me.

I recently bought the asus pg279q (IPS panel) but actually had a hard time deciding on that over the pg278q (TN panel). I originally purchased the TN panel to save the $100, and it was a great monitor. 

The only time I could tell the difference in color "accuracy" was when I had the TN and IPS panels sitting next to each other in the store. If I only looked at one at a time, they both looked great. One thing I have noticed, the IPS blacks are darker.. But sometimes too dark. I have trouble seeing details in dark games at times. I suppose that could be adjusted with ingame settings..

I browse tftcentral to read reviews on monitors, and both the colors and input response time were nearly the same on these two monitors. 

So why did I go with the IPS? Well, this was my first time using a 27in 1440p monitor, and it was actually large enough that "poor" Tn viewing angles actually played a factor. I would be lounging, watching Netflix, and notice the top inch or so of my screen was darkened/colors distorted. so I returned it and payed the $100 difference to get the IPS version and it has been awesome. Of course it is a top line monitor, but it has all the stats of a "gaming" TN panel, including very low input lag (even lower than the TN version based on tftcentral).

I guess in the end I wouldnt pick IPS vs TN, but based on features and price. The color difference is noticeable when directly comparing, but otherwise you will enjoy either. I think refresh rate is much more important.