PCIe 4.0 worth waiting for?

Everyone is talking about waiting for Ryzen, Vega and Volta and all these other powerful code names, but is PCIe 4.0 worth waiting for too? Doubling the bandwidth on your PCIe slots is nice, but that'd mean you'd have to wait for devices to follow that support it, which means, even more waiting...

Is PCIe 3.0's bandwidth capacity even a bottleneck yet? My understanding some of these things are rather limited, and it seems like everything is moving away really quickly these days.

no there is almost nothing that can max out 8x PCI-E 3.0

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

PCIe 2.0 compared to PCIe 3.0 makes no difference, i highly doubt 3.0 to 4.0 will either.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

PCIe 1.0 devices work on PCIe 3.0.. the standard is forwards and backwards compatible. Furthermore, only a handful of products can max out PCIe 2.0's bandwidth, let alone 3.0. There's no reason for 4.0 to even be considered right now.

Long answer: That's still ~4 years out and nothing consumer related needs anywhere near that. Unless you've got sli 1080s you aren't even close to needing pci 3.0. You can run a 1070 at full speed on a pci 2.0 or pci 3.0 x8 connection just fine.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

There will always be some new, faster standard/design/manufacturing process to wait for. If you always waited and never upgraded you'd still be stuck with a GT 430.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Just now, Thorimus said:

There will always be some new, faster standard/design/manufacturing process to wait for. If you always waited and never upgraded you'd still be stuck with a GT 430.

Still on Radeon HD 6950... But it's a decent card and has served me perfectly @ 1080p until current gen titles... It's a bit too power hungry too...

9 minutes ago, SpartanAmy107 said:

Is PCIe 3.0's bandwidth capacity even a bottleneck yet?

PCIe 2.0's bandwidth is just starting to be a bottleneck on the consumer side, and only for absolute top end graphics cards like the Titan XP. But the only systems running PCIe 2.0 to graphics are likely running chips that have been bottlenecking anyways.

With the slow rate of increasing PCIe bandwidth requirements, when PCIe 4.0 comes out, it's big benefit won't be higher overall bandwidth. It'll be the capability to run devices with fewer lanes without bottlenecking, potentially allowing more PCIe devices to be used (if we still have the same # of lanes).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, SpartanAmy107 said:

Everyone is talking about waiting for Ryzen, Vega and Volta and all these other powerful code names, but is PCIe 4.0 worth waiting for too? Doubling the bandwidth on your PCIe slots is nice, but that'd mean you'd have to wait for devices to follow that support it, which means, even more waiting...

Is PCIe 3.0's bandwidth capacity even a bottleneck yet? My understanding some of these things are rather limited, and it seems like everything is moving away really quickly these days.

I have a kickass 1080p desktop PC.  I love it and it uses PCIe 3.0 (USB 3.0, SATA III, DDR3, etc).  I built it in 2012.  I would love to upgrade to a better PC - but, unfortunately there isn't anything worth upgrading to at this point in time.

I have seen some 4K video at mr240 on a Samsung TV I own that completely blows me away.  4K video at 120Hz (or 240Hz) on a PC will require PCIe 4.0.

I think that is when I will upgrade my 2012 PC and that will be no earlier than 2018.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 9:51 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

no there is almost nothing that can max out 8x PCI-E 3.0

other than that insane NVME RAID box linus made, im sure he said that he was pushing the limits of PCIe3.0 X16 through that U.2 RAID card he was using. that is pretty extreme though, if anyone was gna hit the 3.0x16 ceiling it would be Linus

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

• 3 months later...
On 2017-1-14 at 8:50 AM, SpartanAmy107 said:

I would have to say based on a Z170 or Z270 MB you have 20 PCI Express 3.0 lanes currently you add a graphics card and a nvme solid state and you are already maxed out so even if you don't update the graphics potential or the solid state potential. Like all things if you have the room it allows the option to  expansion later/ breathing room.

So you may have a graphics card running 16 x vers 3  but that same graphics card would only run it 8x on ver 4 and that same solid state that may run 4x in version 3 is now only running 2x in ver 4 which means you've only taken up 10 lanes out of a possible 20 

Which could possibly mean Sli or Crossfire and raid on Z370 board whatever it might arrive on