Lets talk about noise

OnionRings

I was just curious about noise and had some questions about it.

1. Firstly, do you care about noise? Does your PC have to be SUPER silent?

2. Why?

That's it really xD I just wanna know why certain people care so much about sound, you often see youtubers always talking about silent components and obviously there are people who do need silence, but why? I cant imagine an average user like me caring about it too much, then again my house is really noisey anyway so I'm used to noise.

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

I don't care about noise. The fan only loud when I am gaming and that's when I am on my headphone

My PC noise its actually pretty quite with the fans at max. 

And I would care about noise if I had no headphones.

Some people put their PC in the room behind so I did that.

The geek himself.

Because

1) the PC is on 24/7 in the same room I sleep in.

2) microphones pick up background noise and nobody wants to hear your PC when you're trying to talk.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Some people put their PC in the room behind so I did that.

Dammit man, this isn't instant messaging, merge your sentences into one post. :dry:

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

my PC is pretty quiet, even when i ramp my radiator fans a bit when i start gaming or do something really intensive. though i am looking to get a more silent case to keep the noise more enclosed 

I usually have headphones on when using my PC, so I can't hear any fan noise. The only thing thats making a noticeable noise in my PC is my CPU fan. Its making some rattling/vibrating noise that idk how to fix.

Yes noise irritates me from a computer most of the time when I'm at home. Probably comes from being a sound engineer and working in studios too much, now though it's more because the fan hum fucks with my tinnitus and gives me a headache

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

some people sleep in the same room with their computer in it so it might be annoying for them.

then there's my pc with 5 140mm and a 120mm if i turned them all to 100 % i can't hear my video playing and that would really suck. good thing i don't keep it at a max speed. before anyone ask they're all noctua fan. also have a 80mm one at 100% didnt even notice it over the others at 30-40 speed.

Small room fans at 100% gets annoying quickly. I can get safe Temps and not have to have them more then 60% power.  And i can tone that out no issue. 

Not really, I always have my headphones on and am always playing music the whole time i'm on my PC, I'm not in the same room as my PC when i'm not using it or I shut it off. I also have a silent case so I can't hear the fans anyway.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

Because silence is a virtue.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

My video card is ridiculously loud, but I don't really care as long as I'm listening to anything. Although at idle when I'm not listening to nothing, I dislike the fan noise, so I change to the silent profile on AI Suite 3 and set to turbo when gaming.

After having an obscenely loud laptop, I just got sick of my computers making noise. I went through and changed up the cooling on my other computers to shut them up. I just need to swap video cards (which is about to happen soon) and my main rig will be ultra quiet. Funnily enough though, I use a mechanical keyboard with MX Blues.

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Dammit man, this isn't instant messaging, merge your sentences into one post. :dry:

I mean, if I hadn't thought of it after the fact, i would of lol

The geek himself.

Oh I feel you on the 100% fan speed or I will feel you in a few days when mine arrive. I also have my gpu fans constantly at 50-70% speed varying on temps. I do also sleep right next to my PC however I have it set so the GPU fans below 50c only 30% speed so pretty quiet and my 2 case fans are quiet as well, however soon my 4 pack will arrive and I'm plugging those and my other 2 fans into a molex > 6 3pin adapter which is going to be loooooooooooooud. I too do not have headphones RIP so I have to turn my speakers up loud.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

I mean, if I hadn't thought of it after the fact, i would of lol

Do you know what the "edit" button does?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Do you know what the "edit" button does?

:|

The geek himself.

Unfortunately my stand fan is louder than my pc even at lv1 and 6ft away from me. If I turn it off, I couldn't hear my gpu and cpu at all, however, I could hear a small fan sound from my intake since it's a cheap-o free fan included with the case. I'm probably gonna buy a corsair/cryorig silent and replace my intake and exhaust but the sound doesn't bother me enough to replace them, I probably would just purchase them when I get a new case.

I have my PC sitting on top of a wooden desk and the hard drive resonating through it does get annoying. The only reason it's on my desk is to look through the window, so I might put it on the floor. Thing is, it's a secondary drive so when it shuts off, it's pretty average noise levels.

I think it's unnerving to not be able to hear anything working in your computer, and I couldn't get used to it.

4 hours ago, OnionRings said:

I was just curious about noise and had some questions about it.

1. Firstly, do you care about noise? Does your PC have to be SUPER silent?

2. Why?

That's it really xD I just wanna know why certain people care so much about sound, you often see youtubers always talking about silent components and obviously there are people who do need silence, but why? I cant imagine an average user like me caring about it too much, then again my house is really noisey anyway so I'm used to noise.

Well youtubers or twitch streamers need silent computers because they need as little background noise as possible for the people watching their videos  / listening to them.

Personally I don't really care about noise, my PC is fairly loud (under load) so I just put up with it.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

If i could care about noise i would but i don't have the $$ or resources to be be able to have a silent setup so now im stuck with af120's which are loud and sp120's but my mobo does a decent job a keeping them quieter then a lawnmower.9_9 

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

14 hours ago, LuculentCookie said:

I have my PC sitting on top of a wooden desk and the hard drive resonating through it does get annoying. The only reason it's on my desk is to look through the window, so I might put it on the floor. Thing is, it's a secondary drive so when it shuts off, it's pretty average noise levels.

I think it's unnerving to not be able to hear anything working in your computer, and I couldn't get used to it.

Good point yea, if I couldn't hear my fans I'd be checking them every hour making sure they worked lol.

CPU