W10, W8.1 or Linux?

plshelpsenpai

hi there,

may i know your opinion on what are the main pros and cons for you between W10 compared to W8.1 (which i am currently on) and/or Linux? i am rather paranoid about W10 harvesting data (i heard about the settings that doesnt do anything despite being toggled off, etc)

also, may i know if W10 has a more cluttered environment (Cortana, non needed stuff) compared to W8.1? and is it a wise choice (for someone who has roughly 3~ months of experience in Linux)(also, i use CAD software and torrent quite frequently, but i don't play any games) to use Linux instead of the other two? most of my main concern about the operating systems are privacy, customizability and also less clutter (i got a rather bad OCD)

i really appreciate inputs from you guys, and thanks for taking the time to read this <3

If you want w10 without any tracking or cortana you can use win10 ltsb enterprise. 

Id probably use linux personally. look at fedora. Your not getting anything near the customizability on windows and its much more secure.

W10 is (IMHO) vastly superior to w8.1 in every way. The privacy crap is the only downside, but most of the worst offenders can be disabled rather easily.

Linux is a good option if you are comfortable with it, and all the software your require is available for it. It can be made to be the most secure OS if you like, but can also be the most complicated and involve a lot of terminal commands and searching for help on the Linux forums.

When in doubt, re-format.

linux is more customizable but there is a steeper learning curve to it linux also requires less cpu power but cannot run as many programs as windows. Linux doesn't collect as much data and also comes with less bloatware/ background processes. 

I would go for windows for now because that has the best software compatibility and is best for gaming at this time.

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

5 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

linux is more customizable but there is a steeper learning curve to it

No it doesn't, more people know windows.

Knowing all the windows features is just about as much stuff as knowing all the linux features.

6 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

also requires less cpu power

Normally it doesn't, there about the same. But linux is normally faster as its way of running code is better.

3 minutes ago, AA-RonRosen said:

best for gaming at this time.

He said he doesn't game.

12 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

hi there,

may i know your opinion on what are the main pros and cons for you between W10 compared to W8.1 (which i am currently on) and/or Linux? i am rather paranoid about W10 harvesting data (i heard about the settings that doesnt do anything despite being toggled off, etc)

also, may i know if W10 has a more cluttered environment (Cortana, non needed stuff) compared to W8.1? and is it a wise choice (for someone who has roughly 3~ months of experience in Linux)(also, i use CAD software and torrent quite frequently, but i don't play any games) to use Linux instead of the other two? most of my main concern about the operating systems are privacy, customizability and also less clutter (i got a rather bad OCD)

i really appreciate inputs from you guys, and thanks for taking the time to read this <3

LINUX! I suggest Mint, Debian, or ubuntu for support. You'll have no viruses, no update restarts, etc. go with Linux. It's wat you do. If you don't do Linux, go with windows eight point one, it's less cluttered and less tracked. It has a lot of Windows ten features, but doesn't have bloat ware and spyware.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

aid data aren't even touched by the government unless they have a warrant for a related case to the data and you

SO you haven't read the snowden stuff at all. There are no warrants involved, or there not public.

6 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Linux is a good option if you are comfortable with it, and all the software your require is available for it. It can be made to be the most secure OS if you like, but can also be the most complicated and involve a lot of terminal commands and searching for help on the Linux forums.

This. If your software can run on Linux, I would go that route. I have Fedora on an older laptop (the Cinnamon 'spin') and it's great. If Adobe had their stuff Linux compatible, I'd be using it every day. When I get a new m.2 drive, I'm going to dual boot between W10 and Fedora. A dual boot environment may be your best bet for the Hannah Montana factor.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Knowing all the windows features is just about as much stuff as knowing all the linux features.

yes but the between them is huge so it you have to switch you will have to learn a lot

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Normally it doesn't, there about the same. But linux is normally faster as its way of running code is better.

exactly runs faster because it takes less cpu power/speed.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want w10 without any tracking or cortana you can use win10 ltsb enterprise. 

Id probably use linux personally. look at fedora. Your not getting anything near the customizability on windows and its much more secure.

wow, i never heard of the win 10 LTSB version before. it does sound really compelling, especially without the cortana, store, etc. i will definitely look more into it!

2 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

W10 is (IMHO) vastly superior to w8.1 in every way. The privacy crap is the only downside, but most of the worst offenders can be disabled rather easily.

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

linux is more customizable but there is a steeper learning curve to it linux also requires less cpu power but cannot run as many programs as windows. Linux doesn't collect as much data and also comes with less bloatware/ background processes. 

may i know how are the packages in Linux stored? are they stored in the same way that windows does (by folders, where the user can navigate to)?

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

but they don't need them if they have probable cause.

so they don't need them...

thats the point of warrants. And its not public.

2 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

may i know how are the packages in Linux stored? are they stored in the same way that windows does (by folders, where the user can navigate to)?

what do you mean by packages?

Base this off the software you use. It doesn't matter how much privacy or lightweight an OS is if it doesn't have the software you want to use. 

4 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

This. If your software can run on Linux, I would go that route. I have Fedora on an older laptop (the Cinnamon 'spin') and it's great. If Adobe had their stuff Linux compatible, I'd be using it every day. When I get a new m.2 drive, I'm going to dual boot between W10 and Fedora. A dual boot environment may be your best bet for the Hannah Montana factor.

what linux distro would you recommend for customizability? also, is it possible to completely strip out a file manager that comes with the distro and replace it with another (i.e. openbox)?

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

what do you mean by packages?

oh, im sorry, i mean programs. >.> excuse me for being a total boob

12 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

LINUX! I suggest Mint, Debian, or ubuntu for support. You'll have no viruses, no update restarts, etc. go with Linux. It's wat you do. If you don't do Linux, go with windows eight point one, it's less cluttered and less tracked. It has a lot of Windows ten features, but doesn't have bloat ware and spyware.

would you recommend archlinux? i heard that it is rather difficult to familiarise with and to even install.

7 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

what linux distro would you recommend for customizability? also, is it possible to completely strip out a file manager that comes with the distro and replace it with another (i.e. openbox)?

oh, im sorry, i mean programs. >.> excuse me for being a total boob

would you recommend archlinux? i heard that it is rather difficult to familiarise with and to even install.

Not really, most of the desktops you can install on arch you can get by themselves and are really Easley to install (Kubuntu (recommended)). Arch Linux is amazingly difficult. Linux mint is very customizable and I recommend it, 

8 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

what linux distro would you recommend for customizability?

Depends on what you're trying to customize and how deep. I generally just do some UI tweaks, but nothing crazy, so my demands for 'customizability' is different than other people. I have used Ubuntu and Mint before, but I really like Fedora. Ubuntu has gotten a little too heavy handed with the 3rd party app integration thing for my tastes. The laptop I now have Fedora on, I ran Mint for a little while, but once I tried Fedora I never went back. Not sure what it is exactly with that distro, but I like it a lot. For file managers, I believe you can use any file manager you would like (provided it's available/compiled for your distro) but I never had a real need to change my file manager, so I can't speak on personal experience.

15 minutes ago, CFstorm said:

Not really, most of the desktops you can install on arch you can get by themselves and are really Easley to install (Kubuntu (recommended)). Arch Linux is amazingly difficult. Linux mint is very customizable and I recommend it, 

thanks for the feedback! may i know the difference between ubuntu and kubuntu? i understand that ubuntu uses gnome and kubuntu, kde. but what is different about these version and also others (xfce, mate, lxde, etc)?

11 minutes ago, Omon_Ra said:

Depends on what you're trying to customize and how deep. I generally just do some UI tweaks, but nothing crazy, so my demands for 'customizability' is different than other people. I have used Ubuntu and Mint before, but I really like Fedora. Ubuntu has gotten a little too heavy handed with the 3rd party app integration thing for my tastes. The laptop I now have Fedora on, I ran Mint for a little while, but once I tried Fedora I never went back. Not sure what it is exactly with that distro, but I like it a lot. For file managers, I believe you can use any file manager you would like (provided it's available/compiled for your distro) but I never had a real need to change my file manager, so I can't speak on personal experience.

as far as customization goes, im just looking to make everything more minimal, changing the logon interface, fonts and icons.

i totally agree with you on the ubuntu clutter, that's one of the reason i gave up on ubuntu too. i will look further into fedora for sure! also are there any little things that bother you on fedora (cons)?

also a general question to everyone, would it be wise to run a virtual machine on linux or should i dual boot instead, given the type of things that i use it for?

also a quick thanks to everyone for their feedback :)

7 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

thanks for the feedback! may i know the difference between ubuntu and kubuntu? i understand that ubuntu uses gnome and kubuntu, kde. but what is different about these version and also others (xfce, mate, lxde, etc)?

as far as customization goes, im just looking to make everything more minimal, changing the logon interface, fonts and icons.

i totally agree with you on the ubuntu clutter, that's one of the reason i gave up on ubuntu too. i will look further into fedora for sure! also are there any little things that bother you on fedora (cons)?

also a general question to everyone, would it be wise to run a virtual machine on linux or should i dual boot instead, given the type of things that i use it for?

also a quick thanks to everyone for their feedback :)

So I'm going to explain this in a metaphor. There's two oranges, one I see orange, and the other is more red. Underneath, they have the same structure, but there outside apperhence differs. I prefer the kbuntu desktop because it's almost like a Linux version of Windows 10. Also, it would be wiser to dual boot, because vms don't give you full control over your hardware. 

35 minutes ago, plshelpsenpai said:

Nothing too crazy. Updates do require a restart to install sometimes, but it will only restart when you tell it to. The kernel is updated pretty frequently, which is nice. I will say there aren't as many apps for Fedora as there are for Ubuntu, and you have to compile some stuff to make it work on Fedora, but it's not difficult. Definitely make sure your CAD software is compatible with Fedora. I also don't use it as a daily driver, but for basic web browsing and messing with Linux, and for that it's perfect. It's a little slow, but that's due to the hardware, not Linux or Fedora; but I think it has just enough power that I can use it as a mobile streaming rig.

On 10/01/2017 at 8:36 PM, CFstorm said:

Also, it would be wiser to dual boot, because vms don't give you full control over your hardware. 

The big question then would be "Do you still trust Windows enough to give it control over your actual hardware?"

On topic :

Win10's data collection is worrying indeed, even with the recent "increase in transparency".  The telemetry etc is being back ported into Win8.1 and Win7 and thanks to the new update model it's gotten impossible to cherry-pick which updates you want to install. 

Basically you either disable the updates completely and don't get security patches anymore, of you secure your PC and put up with the data collection or use third-party tools to disable the latter. 

Keep in mind that those third-party tools may not be trustworthy either and that using them means you'll be in a constant battle with Microsoft over the control of your PC.  Whenever Microsoft rolls out another Windows update, you'll need to update your tools and check all your settings, registry tweaks etc to make sure you're still in control of your data.  It's a fight that lasts until you either give in or move to a different platform.

As far as I'm concerned, that whole battle is the final nail in Windows' coffin.  I'm just not willing to put up with it anymore.

I've been using both Windows and Linux for a couple of years now and IMO nowadays Linux is less of a hassle to work with than Windows.

If you can use Linux exclusively, by all means go for it.  If you really need to use Windows for some reason (like I do for work), dualboot or a virtual machine with hardware passtrough may be the option. 

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The big question then would be "Do you still trust Windows enough to give it control over your actual hardware?"

On topic :

Win10's data collection is worrying indeed, even with the recent "increase in transparency".  The telemetry etc is being back ported into Win8.1 and Win7 and thanks to the new update model it's gotten impossible to cherry-pick which updates you want to install. 

Basically you either disable the updates completely and don't get security patches anymore, of you secure your PC and put up with the data collection or use third-party tools to disable the latter. 

Keep in mind that those third-party tools may not be trustworthy either and that using them means you'll be in a constant battle with Microsoft over the control of your PC.  Whenever Microsoft rolls out another Windows update, you'll need to update your tools and check all your settings, registry tweaks etc to make sure you're still in control of your data.  It's a fight that lasts until you either give in or move to a different platform.

As far as I'm concerned, that whole battle is the final nail in Windows' coffin.  I'm just not willing to put up with it anymore.

I've been using both Windows and Linux for a couple of years now and IMO nowadays Linux is less of a hassle to work with than Windows.

If you can use Linux exclusively, by all means go for it.  If you really need to use Windows for some reason (like I do for work), dualboot or a virtual machine with hardware passtrough may be the option. 

i gave that alot of thought actually. while do not trust windows enough, it is essential for me to use certain applications that only run on windows. virtual machine wouldn't be a viable choice since there may be some compatibility/driver issues, so dualbooting is the only way to go for me at the moment. i can just pull the ethernet cable out when im on windows :q

It depends on what you are familiar with, but if you've mostly been a part of the windows ecosystem and have only used windows b4, I recommend you stay. You'll save yourself some headaches learning how to use Linux if you haven't already (and I recommend Win10 if you go with windows, it's much better than Win8.1 because of the UI improvements imo). However, if you know both sides quite well (or just linux, idk u), I recommend you think of all of the advantages and disadvantages of each platform and compare them to see which one will be the most enjoyable to use for you. :D

On 10.1.2017 at 7:36 PM, pwn_intended said:

It can be made to be the most secure OS if you like

Actually, it can't, thanks to the gross lack of quality assurance. If you want a secure OS, stick with Windows 10 or switch to a real Unix.

Linux distributions regularly make the hitlists of serious security holes - granted, some of which are fixed after years.

Write in C.