HDR a must have?

Huibert

Is HDR a must have on a 4k television?
why?

(4K 50hz (HDR yes or no))

to njoy HDR you also need HDR sources - broadcast transmission won't be HDR any time soon; hell .. most of them aren't even 1080i

also, I don't expect streaming services like NETFLIX, Amazon Prime to have HDR content anytime soon - the bandwidth requirements are way to hi

7 minutes ago, Huibert said:

Is HDR a must have on a 4k television?
why?

(4K 50hz (HDR yes or no))

If you are budget constrained, no.  Content isn't widely available yet.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

It depends on your primary type of media. If you only stream online or use it for broadcast television, then HDR won't benefit you, at least, not for quite a long time. 

If you're the type of person to spend the money on high definition BluRay and would be willing to spend more for the 4k and HDR versions, go for it, it can make a hell of a difference. While the content still isn't quite here, it is coming fairly quickly on BluRay. Streaming content is going to take a while. 

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

I don't expect streaming services like NETFLIX, Amazon Prime to have HDR content anytime soon - the bandwidth requirements are way to hi

But both Netflix and Amazon Prime have HDR content right now. o.O 

20 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

its a hard decision :/ 

46 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

maybe in US, haven't seen HDR on local Netflix (Romania)

from their faq it requires 25mbps + 

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

maybe in US, haven't seen HDR on local Netflix (Romania)

from their faq it requires 25mbps + 

The Grand Tour, Man In The High Castle, Netflix' various Marvel series, Macro Polo, Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle among other Netflix and Amazon prime original's are all in HDR in all regions.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

The Grand Tour, Man In The High Castle, Netflix' various Marvel series, Macro Polo, Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle among other Netflix and Amazon prime original's are all in HDR in all regions.

The Grand Tour in HDR?!!??!?! it's at UHD resolution, yes .. but HDR?!?!

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

...Yes... It was a big 'thing' in all the advertising even...

must get my hands on a sample then

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I wasn't aware of that until this thread, but a search revealed http://www.psneurope.com/lawo-gears-up-for-the-grand-tour-with-former-top-gear-presenters/#

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I can't find a god damn HDR sample anywhere

everything I find is either BT.709 and sometimes not even HEVC Main10 - for HDR, the color profile must be BT.2020 (Rec. 2020)

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I can't find a god damn HDR sample anywhere

everything I find is either BT.709 and sometimes not even HEVC Main10 - for HDR, the color profile must be BT.2020

...Why do you think there would be HDR samples of The Grand Tour?  Where would they come from?  HDR on Netflix is basically restricted to Smart TVs, game consoles, and some external Android/Chrome boxes.  While piracy from some of that hardware is possible using HDCP defeating hardware allowing for HDMI capture rips, HDR capable HDMI capture gear is nearly non-existent currently.  So, with things as they stand, I'm pretty baffled as to why you thought you'd find an HDR rip of The Grand Tour to test out in the first place.

...Why do you think there would be HDR samples of The Grand Tour?  Where would they come from?  HDR on Netflix is basically restricted to Smart TVs, game consoles, and some external Android/Chrome boxes.  While piracy from some of that hardware is possible using HDCP defeating hardware allowing for HDMI capture rips, HDR capable HDMI capture gear is nearly non-existent currently.  So, with things as they stand, I'm pretty baffled as to why you thought you'd find an HDR rip of The Grand Tour to test out in the first place.

well, I found other shit and the color profile is correct for those - the TV jumps in HDR mode

Just now, zMeul said:

well, I found other shit and the color profile is correct for those - the TV jumps in HDR mode

Sure, you can find plenty of generic HDR sample files online.  They're pretty readily distributed.  But you're looking for something specifically pirated, the pipeline doesn't exist for HDR piracy yet.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Sure, you can find plenty of generic HDR sample files online.  They're pretty readily distributed.  But you're looking for something specifically pirated, the pipeline doesn't exist for HDR piracy yet.

nlvGczd.png

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

nlvGczd.png

I'm not disputing that you can find SOME HDR files online, usually sample files online but not exclusively, so I have no idea what point you are trying to make with this screenshot.

...are we ignoring gaming again? There's an awful lot of 4K and HDR content if you include PC gaming.

23 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

...are we ignoring gaming again? There's an awful lot of 4K and HDR content if you include PC gaming.

I wanna connect my pc indeed....
not for heavy games but games like rocket league.. that kinda games :)