How to make money?

Alright, so before all of you annoying people come I'm only less than 16 so I can't "just go get a f*cking job", but I wanna know how you guys would suggest me trying to make some cash towards an HTC Vive/Oculus Rift, it's snowing rn so once it stops I might shovel, but other than that what would you guys suggest?

Go to a place where people dump broken/outdated hardware. Collect parts, build a PC and sell it on gumtree or ebay or similar.

16 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

-snip-

I was thinking to say "work your ass out" before reading what you just saidxDxD

Well, i'd suggest go to your local website that sells second hand stuff, find something that people sell cheap, but in reality, it worth more.

For example, someone there is selling razer deathstalker for like, lets say $10. you go buy that right now and resell it for like $40-$50.
Baaam, just like that (thelegend27 ad reference)

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Um, get a job? Just go around and ask people to shovel snow for like $5 or less (you've got nothing better to do). Eventually you'll have a loyal customer base that supplies a steady income. Switch to lawn mowing in summer and rinse and repeat 

I'd be filthy rich if I wasn't so lazy xD

That's an F in the profile pic

16 hours ago, Slottr said:

Paper routes arent horrible

I though they just used trucks these days, epecially in New York.

16 hours ago, Froody129 said:

I'd be filthy rich if I wasn't so lazy 

Same lol I have so much free time to work but I just don't XD, unless I really want something (like vr headset)

The "annoying people"  can easily go "annoying 12 year olds"  so it goes both ways lol On that note, not much has changed since I was 12 years ago. True you can't get a conventional job, but you can still offer misc services to get paid for it. My thing was mowing lawns and pet sitting. 

4 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Same lol I have so much free time to work but I just don't XD, unless I really want something (like vr headset)

You'll struggle to run VR well on your system tho...

That's an F in the profile pic

Just now, Froody129 said:

I ran the steam VR test and it was more than halfway through VR ready, I'll be fine. My CPU is more powerful than you may think...

Just now, TheBestUserName said:

Sell drugs. Traffic illegal aliens. Spy for the mafia. Sell women. Hold your community's water supply hostage.

*clap* *clap* *clap*

sell your body on craigslist

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Mow some damn lawns. $20-30 a lawn, paid for my PC like 3 years ago. And my laptop. And my first smartphone.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

• Mow lawns
  • Shovel snow
  • Pet sit
  • Babysit
  • Wash cars
  • Walk dogs
  • Yardwork
  • Make crafts to sell at trade shows
  • Lemonade stand
  • Bake sale

Honestly the Vive isn't that great, I'd just wait for the second iteration. 

20 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Paper routes arent horrible

People still read the paper?

20 minutes ago, Swordtiny said:

For example, someone there is selling razer deathstalker for like, lets say $10. you go buy that right now and resell it for like $40-$50.

Baaam, just like that (thelegend27 ad reference)

Huge risk there. You might not sell it for the amount you paid, you might end up getting something that's broken, it ties up your money for an extended period of time. Plus you have to invest a ton of time looking for deals that might be nonexistent.

It's a poor use of time and resources.

12 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

It'll run it perfectly fine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I agree its too expensive for what you get, and each game is usually 20+ dollars for a 2 hour experience

I ended up just cementing myself as the computer guy. Once you earn some trust people will come to you with their problems first. I helped update and transfer a small business to some new computers as well as normal stuff like virus/malware removal. (install malwarebytes) (edit: I asked $40/hour for computer work and sometimes it was as simple as showing an older family friend how to access his new email)

I also showed animals in 4H to make money for my first PC. This is not a common option.

Bought my first PC when I was 13. You can do it buddy!

P4 2.4Ghz, Intel 845gv, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, DVD-RW drive, USB ports. Dropped an ATI 9250 256MB in later which was awesome for DX8 games like HL2. Later I added RAM up to 1.5GB. Then I went to an ATI x1300 256 which was a downgrade for DX8 games but an upgrade for DX9 games. I'll never forget these specs. (Edit 2: and a 15" LCD monitor which was pretty swell for 2003)

12 minutes ago, Contreramanjaro said:

I ended up just cementing myself as the computer guy. Once you earn some trust people will come to you with their problems first. I helped update and transfer a small business to some new computers as well as normal stuff like virus/malware removal. (install malwarebytes) (edit: I asked $40/hour for computer work and sometimes it was as simple as showing an older family friend how to access his new email)

I was thinking of doing something like this and posting fliers, although if I dodn't know something would it be a crime to come on here and ask xD

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I was thinking of doing something like this and posting fliers, although if I dodn't know something would it be a crime to come on here and ask xD

Sell current SSD and get MX300 /s

Sell something? Trade something? Go to work somewhere? 

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Sell current SSD and get MX300 /s

How is that gaining money xD 

Street corner /s

Well if your parents are the kind of parents that give you money for doing chores then save up that money from doing that. Alternatively you could see if there are maybe any jobs that neighbors might be able to let you do for them (be sure that your parent's okay it though).

I don't know what else to say, since when I was your age I wasn't into computers and technology the same way I am today. I was in to computers and technology back then but like I said it was a bit different. I was a bit of an iSheep and uh yeah. I walked my grandparent's dog to get my first laptop back when I was like 9. My other two laptops I got because we had a little extra money. Now my current laptop, I could've purchased it without help from anyone, but there were a few things that I wanted that I couldn't afford so I just borrowed that money from my grandma and paid back all but $136 of $435 to her from my first job, I'm not sure if maybe that last $136 I owed her she was just going to say that was her gift to me for this past Christmas. My new job, I haven't been getting as many hours and therefore smaller checks so yeah...

Anyways I digress, that's pretty neat you're getting into this segment at your age. Because when I was your age, I was a bit of an Apple fanboy as I said earlier, at about that time I was starting to realize that limiting myself to just Apple was kinda dumb. Though at that time I still sorta preferred Apple. Now I don't and I just sorta cringe at the thought that I was that kinda person.

2 minutes ago, Contreramanjaro said:

I also showed animals in 4H to make money for my first PC. This is not a common option.

Lol I'm in 4H, I show livestock (Rabbits) and other things. I've been in 4H since 4th grade, I'm a junior in high school now. I never really showed enough to get enough money in premiums. 

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

I tried it for a few minutes, it was already though it sorta seemed like maybe the resolution was a bit too low because if I looked closely I could sorta count pixels if I wanted to.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I learned how to fix computers by fixing computers. I mostly just got good at googling problems. I took computer classes in college and high school and I learned next to nothing compared to just doing it. Just make sure to be in the right board if you're asking troubleshooting questions.

10 hours ago, wcreek said:

Lol I'm in 4H, I show livestock (Rabbits) and other things. I've been in 4H since 4th grade, I'm a junior in high school now. I never really showed enough to get enough money in premiums.

I wasn't any good at it. I showed sheep. Mostly got money for my market lamb which amounted to around $150 after paying feed and stuff. If you know someone who can hook you up in beef or swine there's more money there, but more work too.

10 hours ago, wcreek said:

Anyways I digress, that's pretty neat you're getting into this segment at your age. Because when I was your age, I was a bit of an Apple fanboy as I said earlier, at about that time I was starting to realize that limiting myself to just Apple was kinda dumb. Though at that time I still sorta preferred Apple. Now I don't and I just sorta cringe at the thought that I was that kinda person.

I tried it for a few minutes, it was already though it sorta seemed like maybe the resolution was a bit too low because if I looked closely I could sorta count pixels if I wanted to.

Yea, nobody can read a spec sheet at my age, its amazing xD Literally everyone at my school has an iphone. I bet if I said the iphone 7 only has 2gb of ram they'd say "AKCKTUALLYLYYY IT HAS UP TO 256 GB" And what is 4h btw?

10 hours ago, Contreramanjaro said:

I wasn't any good at it. I showed sheep. Mostly got money for my market lamb which amounted to around $150 after paying feed and stuff. If you know someone who can hook you up in beef or swine there's more money there, but more work too.

Alright now I'm utterly (get it while on the topic of livestock or whatever you guys are talking about) confused, what the heck is 4h

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Alright now I'm utterly (get it while on the topic of livestock or whatever you guys are talking about) confused, what the heck is 4h

It's a program that helps kids (in theory) become better members of society by giving them a venue to hone a skill. People usually show their projects at the local fair. It can be nearly anything from baking and knitting to showing an animal. Most of the more serious people show animals like livestock but there are cat and dog shows too. At the end local businesses and organizations can bid on your livestock as community service or just to buy an animal. That is where I made a little money.

14 minutes ago, Contreramanjaro said:

Oh hell yeah there is so much more to be made in cattle and swine (and to a lesser extent sheep and goat), I do it as a hobby though. I've gotten a few trophies for my rabbits so that was nice.

Two in 2014, one at the county fair and one at the state fair and one last summer at the county fair. My best 2 was the one from this year and the one from the state fair in 2014.  Though technically this past years' trophy was better, still either way. I like 4H.

15 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Yea, nobody can read a spec sheet at my age, its amazing xD Literally everyone at my school has an iphone. I bet if I said the iphone 7 only has 2gb of ram they'd say "AKCKTUALLYLYYY IT HAS UP TO 256 GB" And what is 4h btw?

lol that's kinda sad. 

I know for sure 4H exists in the United States (I don't believe you said what country you were from) I don't know what it's international reach is but like some of it is raising and showing livestock, some of it is doing project in various areas like crafts and fine arts, food (breads, cakes, nutrition, preservation/canning, etc), aerospace, computers, engineering and lots of other things. It's age ranges at least in Minnesota but I'm fairly sure program wide is kindergarten to 1 year past high school. and it's open to males and females.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization