Encryption of Data for a Law Firm

Hi everyone,

I know this is a broad topic, but I am partnering with a business analyst to provide encryption of data and basic network security to a law firm.

I wouldn't say this is outside my skill set, but I need more familiarity with some products and services people may recommend.

I am a solopreneur, so if the job is too big, I will outsource to a larger IT company I have contact with. 

Basically, it would be really helpful if people could recommend off the fly particular commercial security products and processes for encrypting data in a law firm environment.

Thanks for any help you can give.

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Where is the data you need to encrypt?

You should be running full disk encyption on the systems, so bitlocker or luks.

WPA2-enterprise for wifi.

802.11X

Encrypt the servers with bitlocker or luks.

You could always go with Truecrypt for local file encryption and for network encryption I would need more info on your network but you could implement a ciso device.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/next-generation-encryption/index.html

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

2 minutes ago, Icuw1pc said:

You could always go with Truecrypt for local file encryption and for network encryption I would need more info on your network but you could implement a ciso device.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/enterprise-networks/next-generation-encryption/index.html

why use a third party tool when both windows and Linux has the functionality built in.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Where is the data you need to encrypt?

You should be running full disk encyption on the systems, so bitlocker or luks.

WPA2-enterprise for wifi.

802.11X

Encrypt the servers with bitlocker or luks.

Unfortunately we're early days in the consulting process but in my imagination it may just be a small office with data stored locally on different systems.  May or may not be a server involved. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Stone age encryption is better. Print it out and lock it in a bank vault.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

If it is solely data at rest, you can use things like BitLocker on local PCs.  As for network encryption, it would depend entirely on the application, service and protocol being utilised.

Ideally would need more information to sensibly answer the question, its far too vague for a solid answer.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

If it is solely data at rest, you can use things like BitLocker on local PCs.  As for network encryption, it would depend entirely on the application, service and protocol being utilised.

Ideally would need more information to sensibly answer the question, its far too vague for a solid answer.

I understand. As I get more information, I will plug in some more details. Thanks.