Acer reveals $9000 21 inch gaming laptop...

Mr.Meerkat
11 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Wow...

:)

Gaming Laptop Performance per Kilogram.. a new metric?

Watch Linus start to use it.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

9kg

Is this even considered a laptop anymore?

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

18 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Wow...

:)

Laptop Performance per Kilogram.. a new metric?

This was a thing starting with SurfaceBook. They started measuring performance per pound and compared it to all other laptops that size.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Lets be honest for a portable computer, it is about as useful as a square dildo in a Brazzers flick.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

When would this even be practical? Lets say, just for example, someone was rich enough to buy this and they were a traveling businessman. The battery time on this thing would be way too impractical maybe doing 30min at most. And if someone was just getting this for home use, you could just buy a better home pc for $3000 less and it would be quieter.

Like this one!

Pretty gross. I hate the style of that thing. Hell would be embarrassed to even have it in my room if family came over ...nevermind a girlfriend

7 hours ago, Wolther said:

Pretty gross. I hate the style of that thing. Hell would be embarrassed to even have it in my room if family came over ...nevermind a girlfriend

Let's be real, anyone who see this thing called "laptop" the first time would probably shit their pants

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

ha, SLI 1080 running 2560x1080???

Sounds like they picked that resolution because it has "1080" in it. That's so overkill; could have at least gone for 3440x1440 if I'm paying $9k for it.

Though I guess it's enough for a 21" screen and it would most likely be on a desk hooked up to a 4K monitor anyways

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Anyone else who sees the similarities between that and the Toshiba 3200 (shown below)? No? I see a lawsuit from Toshiba coming at high speed in Acer's direction pretty soon.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/4435/Toshiba-T3200/Toshiba3200.jpg

This was my dad's first thought when he saw the Acer 21X. PC-veterans are glorious sometimes!

/Benji

Jokes on you I bought 7. here's my receipt. 

Your credit card was declined to the tune of $147,000.00. This exceeded your max credit limit of $2,500.
-Bank of America

4 minutes ago, Daul said:

Anyone else who sees the similarities between that and the Toshiba 3200 (shown below)? No? I see a lawsuit from Toshiba coming at high speed in Acer's direction pretty soon.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/4435/Toshiba-T3200/Toshiba3200.jpg

This was my dad's first thought when he saw the Acer 21X. PC-veterans are glorious sometimes!

/Benji

Well not that much actually considering that Asus has this...

Spoiler

1-GX700_docking_18.jpg

00.png

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I really don't know wether this Acer monster belongs to the basket full of "nice try, but shit" or "why did you even try". When considering it needs 2 power bricks and all of that power probably goes to power the two GTX 1080s. At that price range and size I would have thought that Acer would have gone totally overkill with it, like installing 2 Xeons or just desktop CPU generally and do some really crazy stuff. Now it's just like "meh" when you consider you can get something like Origin EON17-SLX with around 6k$ with i7 7700K, 2x GTX 1080, 64GB Corsair Vegance, more SSD and HDD than needed with 17.3" 4K IPS screen. Comparing these two is like well, the other one is a real overkill hardware wise and the other one is just gimmick with which someone tried to do something overkill but weren't ready to go all the way. From the last years concept stuff I was expecting something like throwing every single highest performance part into a laptop with curved screen and mechanical keyboard and watercool the hell out of it and generally go so overkill that someone might get a heartattack. And when it comes out there's a competitor which is smaller, cheaper and at least has better CPU and probably RAMs (I have bad experiences with Acer laptops).