Need advise on selling a PC build

Eirreann

Hey all!

Has anyone had experience with selling a custom-built desktop before, and could give me some pointers?  Should I try to sell it all together, or do you think I would have more success selling it piece-by-piece?  What would you recommend I try to sell it on (Ebay, Craigslist, etc)?

At this point, I'm not really anticipating getting a lot from it, but every little bit helps.

Thanks a billion in advance!

Eirreann

EDIT: Eugh... that typo in the title... yikes...

"A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities."

~J.R.R. Tolkien

Damn, that's gonna be a hard sell. I would go with craigslist, list all the parts, and then post it up for a reasonable price. 

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

Damn, that's gonna be a hard sell. I would go with craigslist, list all the parts, and then post it up for a reasonable price. 

Do you think selling it as a "VR Ready" build with an Oculus Rift included would improve my chances?  I was contemplating selling my Rift and Leap Motion, as well. :P

~J.R.R. Tolkien

9 minutes ago, Eirreann said:

Do you think selling it as a "VR Ready" build with an Oculus Rift included would improve my chances?  I was contemplating selling my Rift and Leap Motion, as well. :P

That might add a little more incentive for people to buy it. Honesty, I'd sell it piece by piece, I don't feel the market for people buying fully built used systems is as big as selling individual parts for a good, but reasonable price.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

1 minute ago, Trav_X said:

That might add a little more incentive for people to buy it. Honesty, I'd sell it piece by piece, I don't feel the market for people buying fully built used systems is as big as selling individual parts for a good, but reasonable price.

That is fair, but is there a market for parts this old?  I mean, I doubt I'd have too much trouble with my 980 Ti, PSU, or SSD (being comparatively new), but the CPU and motherboard?

~J.R.R. Tolkien

I'd sell it for parts personally. Not many people will be interested in a 980ti + 3570k build. They might, you should sell the CPU+Mobo together though to make shipping easier.

Yes there is a market for parts this old. People still look for 1st and 2nd gen i5/i7s

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

if you try to sell it on Craigslist, people will haggle you to death. my best bet is ebay. put it up for about the most you think it would sell for and then drop the price periodically. i would start with what you think the most it would possibly go for and then drop it by 50 dollar increments until someone buys it. probably somewhere around 800-900 usd. since it's used then you want to make the best impression possible, so make sure to clean it nicely and take good pics.

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I'd sell it for parts personally. Not many people will be interested in a 980ti + 3570k build. They might, you should sell the CPU+Mobo together though to make shipping easier.

That's not a bad idea!  Thanks for the suggestion. :)

4 minutes ago, J400 said:

if you try to sell it on Craigslist, people will haggle you to death. my best bet is ebay. put it up for about the most you think it would sell for and then drop the price periodically. i would start with what you think the most it would possibly go for and then drop it by 50 dollar increments until someone buys it. probably somewhere around 800-900 usd. since it's used then you want to make the best impression possible, so make sure to clean it nicely and take good pics.

I am familiar with peoples' tendency to do that on Craigslist; sometimes it's worth it for the saved effort of shipping with Ebay (which, given the size and weight of my PC [google the Cooler Master HAF X chassis if you aren't familiar, it's a behemoth!] would be a bit of a headache).  Your pricing idea is good, though, thanks for that!  I was thinking of staring in the ballpark of $800 as well.

~J.R.R. Tolkien

36 minutes ago, Eirreann said:

That is fair, but is there a market for parts this old?  I mean, I doubt I'd have too much trouble with my 980 Ti, PSU, or SSD (being comparatively new), but the CPU and motherboard?

I know plenty of people who'd take that 980 Ti used for around 280-300$ with no prob, cash too. (They can range from 250-350 USD on EBay)

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 hour ago, Eirreann said:

Yes definitely. I'm in the market right now actually :D I've been looking at old Xeons from Westmere and Sandy Bridge, etc. There is definitely a market. I would suggest selling the GPU PSU and SSD alone, but then probably sell the CPU and mobo and ram together, or just the CPU and mobo. I'm guessing that would sell easier, for someone looking for a budget quad core for their new lower budget build. Definitely still a market. Older CPUs fly off the "shelves" on eBay.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Generally when I find an older system to resell I make more money selling all the bits I don't want, then cleaning and keeping what I can still use to put in a refurb build. Used parts sell better separate because no one wants to pay a build fee for a used system.

20 minutes ago, Trav_X said:

Yes definitely. I'm in the market right now actually :D I've been looking at old Xeons from Westmere and Sandy Bridge, etc. There is definitely a market. I would suggest selling the GPU PSU and SSD alone, but then probably sell the CPU and mobo and ram together, or just the CPU and mobo. I'm guessing that would sell easier, for someone looking for a budget quad core for their new lower budget build. Definitely still a market. Older CPUs fly off the "shelves" on eBay.

Really?  Well, suddenly I'm very happy I held on to the motherboard box, haha!  Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your help! :D

3 minutes ago, AdmiralIronside said:

Generally when I find an older system to resell I make more money selling all the bits I don't want, then cleaning and keeping what I can still use to put in a refurb build. Used parts sell better separate because no one wants to pay a build fee for a used system.

Good point, thanks! :)

~J.R.R. Tolkien

2 hours ago, Trav_X said:

No bud, I think selling as a fully built PC will get more people wanting it because of ease of use... Just like a console but still, like you said it has to be a VERY good price. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

No bud, I think selling as a fully built PC will get more people wanting it because of ease of use... Just like a console but still, like you said it has to be a VERY good price. 

You would think... try it sometime. Then when you can't pull a decent price clean it like your Grandma's coming to town, buff out any blemishes, and sell the parts refurbished for at least 10% more.

1 minute ago, AdmiralIronside said:

Not to be snotty but system resale can make me salty :dry:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, all the same?  I wouldn't lose anything but a bit of time if I threw together a quick listing for Craigslist. :P

~J.R.R. Tolkien

Just now, Eirreann said:

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, all the same?  I wouldn't lose anything but a bit of time if I threw together a quick listing for Craigslist. :P

Yeah, I usually make a post with the price I need to sell it for and leave it up until I have time for the refurbishment process. You have a couple months until you graduate so maybe you'll get lucky.

RULE #1 IS TAKE SOME SPICY PICTURES OF YA RIG.

Nobody wants to adopt a dank dustbunny.

6 minutes ago, AdmiralIronside said:

Yeah, I usually make a post with the price I need to sell it for and leave it up until I have time for the refurbishment process. You have a couple months until you graduate so maybe you'll get lucky.

Your presumption hurts me, sir!  My baby is the shiniest, most meticulously-cleaned piece of machinery in my house; it practically glows. ^_^  Glamour shots will not be difficult. 

~J.R.R. Tolkien

1 hour ago, AdmiralIronside said:

You would think... try it sometime. Then when you can't pull a decent price clean it like your Grandma's coming to town, buff out any blemishes, and sell the parts refurbished for at least 10% more.

Yeah, I am doing it now. I am selling a fully built PC atm too and I have buyers interested in it because of ease of use. It has everything they need to make it the system they want without having to worry whether or not the system parts are compatible and spending lots of time to do their research.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

10 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

I guess it depends. Some people look for full systems, some want parts. The only reason I was saying hold back on the whole thing is you're using a third generation i5 with a 980Ti. That's bottlenecked and people who are at least a little bit informed on bottlenecking will maybe hold back. Shouldn't be a big problem, and bottlenecking isn't really an issue in reality, or it shouldn't be if you're using the right hardware for your use case, but i see where you are coming from.

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

8 hours ago, Brennan_Price said:

Yeah, I am doing it now. I am selling a fully built PC atm too and I have buyers interested in it because of ease of use. It has everything they need to make it the system they want without having to worry whether or not the system parts are compatible and spending lots of time to do their research.

I'm glad it's working out for you :)

On 03/01/2017 at 0:24 PM, Brennan_Price said:

On 03/01/2017 at 0:44 PM, AdmiralIronside said:

So, to my surprise, someone made an offer on my PC as a full build.  A rather decent offer, too.  $1'100, including the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Quite a bit more than I was expecting, needless to say!

Thanks, everyone, for your help and assistance!

~J.R.R. Tolkien

On 11/01/2017 at 5:04 AM, Eirreann said:

So, to my surprise, someone made an offer on my PC as a full build.  A rather decent offer, too.  $1'100, including the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.  Quite a bit more than I was expecting, needless to say!

Thanks, everyone, for your help and assistance!

Wow!! Good for you! Glad it worked out for you

My Rig: