Why the i5 6400 is a better value than the i5 6500 [explanation]

A lot of people in this forum say that the the 6500 is better value than the 6400 because it has more 0.5Ghz/500mhz, like the base clock suggests. That is wrong!

The base clock is useless, the Turbo frequency is what matters! These processors are so efficient that even the stock intel cooler is enough for them to be hitting the Turbo frequency pretty much all the time.

Take a closer look at the Turbo frequencies for both processors. Theres turbo for 1,2 and 4 cores.

6400                               6500

3.3/3.3/3.1                     3.6/3.5/3.3

So the difference between the 2 CPU´s is 200/300mhz 99% of the times.

This is battlefield 1 running on a i5 6400. As you can see, all 4 cores are at 3.1Ghz. If it was the 6500, it would have been 3.3ghz

Now do the math, in modern games youre gonna be utilising 4 cores most of the time. 200mhz is not worth the difference in price between the 2 CPU´s!

bf1_2016_11_03_19_33_23_673.jpg

yes making your experience with the I5 6500 better, with greater fps numbers and loads more re-sellablity for example. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Interesting. My friend has a 6400 and insists he wants to get into computers but says he cant do anything about it. At this point I'm questioning whether he has ever heard of the internet.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yes making your experience with the I5 6500 better, with greater fps numbers and loads more re-sellablity for example. 

FPS and general performance wasn't the point.

I went for the 6500 because it had only a $5 (EDIT: currency conversion error) difference compared to the 6400 here.

Echelon Mk 2.11 

Spoiler
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-6500
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7 (With a 120 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB)
  • Motherboard: MSI B150M Bazooka Plus
  • Memory: 16 (2x8) GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury (Black)
  • Video Card: Sapphire NITRO R9 390 (Stock)
  • Storage:  1 TB Western Digital Blue
  • Power Supply: 520 W Seasonic M12II Evo (with custom extensions and cable combs)
  • Casing: NZXT S340 Elite (Matte Black)
  • Fans: 2x 120 mm & 3x 140 mm Thermaltake Riing RGB
  • Display: 22 " LG Flatron L227WTG-PF LCD (OCed to 76 Hz)
  • Keyboard: Logitech K120
  • Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
  • Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

That depends on the price. In my country the 6400 is the same price as 6500 so why bother with 6400?

Edit: Nvm lol...the i5 6400 went a lot down with price and is a lot cheaper now than it was week ago by €30.

1 minute ago, IanDrexP said:

I went for the 6500 because it had only a $10 difference compared to the 6400 here.

Right now its a $20 difference or so, enough to change some peoples mind.

I might be going crazy but I swear the 6500 used to be $180...

1 minute ago, awakesquare said:

Right now its a $20 difference or so, enough to change some peoples mind.

I might be going crazy but I swear the 6500 used to be $180...

Yea I edited my post.

10 minutes ago, IanDrexP said:

I went for the 6500 because it had only a $5 (EDIT: currency conversion error) difference compared to the 6400 here.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That depends on the price. In my country the 6400 is the same price as 6500 so why bother with 6400?

Edit: Nvm lol...the i5 6400 went a lot down with price and is a lot cheaper now than it was week ago by €30.

Yes it depends on price. I would say under 15$ price difference you could go with the i5 6500, but 20$ or more is not worth it :)

Note though, in the picture the CPU is only at 72% load. If the GPU was more powerful it might throttle more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Cheapest i can find both in the UK is £185, so for me the 6500 would be a better buy :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Note though, in the picture the CPU is only at 72% load. If the GPU was more powerful it might throttle more.

Nope. That GPU is a 380, i have later upgraded to a 480, which keeps my CPU at 100% load most of the times on BF1 multiplayer. It still boosts to 3.1ghz on all cores.

This CPU will never throttle with the stock intel cooler. And there is no reason for him to do so. It has never gone above 70ºC.

58 minutes ago, mata-pombos said:

Nope. That GPU is a 380, i have later upgraded to a 480, which keeps my CPU at 100% load most of the times on BF1 multiplayer. It still boosts to 3.1ghz on all cores.

This CPU will never throttle with the stock intel cooler. And there is no reason for him to do so. It has never gone above 70ºC.

Ok, fair enough. Usually though, the price difference is $5-10 so I'd still say 6500 is usually the better choice.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

So even in your case I have seen a lot of price around i5-6400 (2.70GHz up to 3.20GHz) over the i5-6500 (3.30GHz up to 3.60GHz) currently the i5-6500 is a $20 expensive so even so your gaining 600MHz on Min and Turbo at 300MHz is like getting a more beefy CPU for around $20 here in my country and getting a good paying job here in my country is terrible for wasting cash around.

And if you are one of the lucky bustards around there near a microcenter I have hear a lot about cpu+mobo bundle try to canvass around, just like what I did when I canvas my i5-4590 it was around $190 and the ASUS B85M-GAMER is around $80 and the day I purchase both cpu+mobo only cost $210 USD saving of a $70 this is the only reason I have my i5-4590.

If you have Cash Go for the Higher Product it will be much of an investment in your end.

Noted: I lived in the Philippines where Technology is Great but Prices are Dumb. just got to look around.

GAMING RIG

i5 4590 / 16GB / RX 480 8GB