Buy 4k HDR now or wait for 2017 models

cthomas1489

I'm looking to purchase a 4k TV, preferably with HDR10, and have my eyes on the LG UH7700 model (specifically the 55"). Currently it's around $899 which seems great since it launched around $1799. I don't really have a preference in terms of Hz but it is 240. 

Anyway, think I should pick this one up or wait and see about 2017 models? I'm in no rush but really don't want to spend over $1k so that's why my eyes gravitated towards this. 

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

GPU: Asus R9 280X  |  PSU: Corsair HX850  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout

looks like a good deal but remember tech gets outdated fast, Next year they might have a better model. do you have something to play 4k hdr?.

Oh yeah I know, we just wanna replace our main room TV and I've been looking since about Black Friday.

I know there's always gonna be something new and better but at least having something with HDR seemed reasonable and sticking to 1080p also seemed silly. Currently upgrading from a plain 40" 1080p non smart TV.

We have a PS4 and Xbox One although will probably sell those on Reddit and swap for the Pro/S versions soon. Otherwise it's just Comcast/Netflix/Amazon Prime content. 

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 4.5GHz  |  Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO  |  Mobo: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2A88X+ Killer

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200rpm  |  CASE: Fractal Design R4 Blackout

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

looks like a good deal but remember tech gets outdated fast, Next year they might have a better model. do you have something to play 4k hdr?.

You one year later: "Next year they might have a better model"

You the year after that: "Next year they might have a better model"

You in 50 years: "Next year they might have a better model"

And you still wouldn't have bought anything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would definately wait for the newer models in the next year.

I'm sure the colour reproduction will be even better than it is now.

HDR is still in its infancy. 4K is getting there though. 

Right now there are very few TVs that can deliver true HDR10 as specified in HDR guidelines. And it'll cost a pretty penny to get such a TV. Also be aware that some manufacturers will not carry the HDR certification, but instead use their own certification. Like that LG TV you selected uses "HDR Super with Dolby Vision" 

The LG TV you selected (here's a review http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh7700) does not deliver true HDR10. It may look good to you though but be aware that you're not getting the best HDR experience. 

If you want a better option the most popular one is the Samsung KS8000. That panel can deliver HDR10, but it does fall short in some minor areas. 

There is also Dolby Vision but even that is younger than HDR10.

The picture on that TV is good but there are some minor problems with it. If you use your TV in a dark room then the picture will deteriote because it has some problems with contrast and its backlight uniformity. Also the HDR isn't bad but it could be better on this TV.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

You one year later: "Next year they might have a better model"

You the year after that: "Next year they might have a better model"

You in 50 years: "Next year they might have a better model"

And you still wouldn't have bought anything.

sorry i didn't word it properly i was thinking of 1st gen tech sucks so if he waits a year he might get something worth the money.  

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

sorry i didn't word it properly i was thinking of 1st gen tech sucks so if he waits a year he might get something worth the money.  

What gave you the idea that OLED and 4k is first gen??

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Technicolors said:

HDR is still in its infancy. 4K is getting there though. 

Right now there are very few TVs that can deliver true HDR10 as specified in HDR guidelines. And it'll cost a pretty penny to get such a TV. Also be aware that some manufacturers will not carry the HDR certification, but instead use their own certification. Like that LG TV you selected uses "HDR Super with Dolby Vision" 

The LG TV you selected (here's a review http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh7700) does not deliver true HDR10. It may look good to you though but be aware that you're not getting the best HDR experience. 

If you want a better option the most popular one is the Samsung KS8000. That panel can deliver HDR10, but it does fall short in some minor areas. 

There is also Dolby Vision but even that is younger than HDR10.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

What gave you the idea that OLED and 4k is first gen??

the price. 

5 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

the price. 

Maybe if you followed products more closely you would see that this is like the 3rd or 5th iteration already.

4k came out many years ago. OLED came out many years ago too and was brought to tvs only a couple years ago, but these tvs are far from first gen.

First gen was when they cost $40 000.

Also, OLED still sucks with burn in.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Maybe if you followed products more closely you would see that this is like the 3rd or 5th iteration already.

4k came out many years ago. OLED came out many years ago too and was brought to tvs only a couple years ago, but these tvs are far from first gen.

First gen was when they cost $40 000.

Also, OLED still sucks with burn in.

i still love oled but the tvs suffer serious problem. but in my opinion i would wait a year before jumping in. 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i still love oled but the tvs suffer serious problem. but in my opinion i would wait a year before jumping in. 

The problem is just the nature of OLED.

One more year isn't going to make it any better than it is now.

You either deal with the problem or you use a different technology.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

The problem is just the nature of OLED.

One more year isn't going to make it any better than it is now.

You either deal with the problem or you use a different technology.

i know what you mean but i love the deep blacks my 6p screen looks amazing for watching video or just browsing. i am really hoping for a perfect oled breakthrough. 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i know what you mean but i love the deep blacks my 6p screen looks amazing for watching video or just browsing. i am really hoping for a perfect oled breakthrough. 

Then that will be called something different from "OLED"

Spoiler