PC parts people overspend on

Mooshi

People definitely tend to overspend on motherboards and ram - while buying a very cheap motherboard is also generally a bad idea, 99% of peoplehave no use for 300$ ones either. 

People also overspend on ram, in the vast majority of situations there is no difference in performance between kits.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

People definitely tend to overspend on motherboards and ram - while buying a very cheap motherboard is also generally a bad idea, 99% of peoplehave no use for 300$ ones either. 

People also overspend on ram, in the vast majority of situations there is no difference in performance between kits.

tell that to those who follow LTT and buys the Dominators because Linus showcase them in his personal rig

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Guilty as charged I am not using any additional features of my hero alpha(read :  my dads  rig) ..could have saved some money by going with z170AR

Yea, watch me overspend on my next upgrade. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

29 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

tell that to those who follow LTT and buys the Dominators because Linus showcase them in his personal rig

Linus gets them for free :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Linus gets them for free :P

it just like Dom and his RX-7

when Dom drive his Golden, every boy comes into my shop and buys what Doms uses and pay cash!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

8 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

I got a good deal on the PSU but I could have spent less and got a 650 G2 and been more than fine. Under full load this thing pulls 400W, maybe 450W. Even my HTPCs 550 G2 could easily handle it (which is actually super overkill for the HTPC, though again, got a good deal plus I wanted the fanless mode).

M9i was cheaper and uses a standard 92mm fan. The C7 uses a low-pro fan with what looks like non-standard mounting. I prefer stuff using standardized parts. I'm also using a large HTPC chassis since I am using a standard ATX board. More than enough room for the M9i (but NOT enough room for the Hyper 212 Evo I had laying around). I did wind up changing the fan as I said. There wasn't anything wrong with it. Decent fan for a $20 cooler. Fairly quiet, but still the loudest fan in the thing. So, an extra $15 for an NF-A9 and near perfection achieved. Way cheaper than buying an NH-U9 cooler and I bet the performance is pretty close with the new fan.

Yeah in terms of wattage less than what you got would've been fine.  

What I think is interesting how from what I've noticed most of the time people focus more on whether or not wattage is way too high and not on other issues like that fanless mode or the load/capacity ratio and it's affect on the noise the PSU makes.  

That's good that you considered other things besides just wattage which is my point.  ?

I don't think a 92mm fan is technically standard in that it seems less common than 120mm or 140mm for examples.  I'd looked on Amazon for a 92mm fan to use for rear exhaust in the cheap Rosewill case I was using for my secondary desktop before I switched to a Corsair 88R and there definite were not as many options for 92mm fans.

Though yes if the M9i doesn't use some special fan and/or nonstandard fan mounting like the C7 then I can see why it would be preferable.  

Idk why people seem to love the 212 EVO..  Yes it's easier to find than Cryorig but it's not as good if I'm not mistaken.   

So the NF-A9 fan is really quiet?    Is that a airflow fan or a static pressure fan?

I tried getting a corsair sp-120 static pressure fan last spring to check it out and that thing was very loud compared to the other fans I have.  Idk how anyone can stand to use a sp-120.  

47 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't think a 92mm fan is technically standard in that it seems less common than 120mm or 140mm for examples.  I'd looked on Amazon for a 92mm fan to use for rear exhaust in the cheap Rosewill case I was using for my secondary desktop before I switched to a Corsair 88R and there definite were not as many options for 92mm fans.

Though yes if the M9i doesn't use some special fan and/or nonstandard fan mounting like the C7 then I can see why it would be preferable.  

Idk why people seem to love the 212 EVO..  Yes it's easier to find than Cryorig but it's not as good if I'm not mistaken.   

So the NF-A9 fan is really quiet?    Is that a airflow fan or a static pressure fan?

I tried getting a corsair sp-120 static pressure fan last spring to check it out and that thing was very loud compared to the other fans I have.  Idk how anyone can stand to use a sp-120.  

92mm is a standard size, evidenced by the fact I so easily found a replacement. It's just not as common as 80, 120, and 140. The NF-A9 is ultra quiet compared to the stock Cryorig fan and pushes air better. I have it spinning about 120 RPM faster than the Cryorig fan and it's still quieter. Outside the 120mm fans, Noctua seems to market their newest NF-A series fans as a best of both worlds kind of thing. In 120mm, Noctua still markets separate airflow (NF-S12A) and static pressure (NF-F12) fans. With all the NF-A fans I've owned so far, they seem to handle both roles just fine. They have more than enough airflow for case fans and beat out other static pressure optimized fans on heatsinks.

Yeah, the SP-120's that came with the H100i V2 I tried, one was pretty quiet but the other was one was obscenely loud. I do own 3 AF-140L and 3 AF-140 LED (Blue) fans and they aren't bad. They have a fair amount of blade noise but motor noise isn't bad.

I have observed that people way overspend on the following (according to my opinion sometimes, and according to objective performance per dollar metrics most of the time)

- Motherboards (extreme case: someone buys a $120 H170 motherboard for their i7-6700K)

- RAM (dammit guys RAM is not hard to make and doesn't fail with time, just buy the Adata or Avexir)

- GTX 1060 6GBs (yes it's 5% faster than the competition, no that doesn't make it worth $280)

- CPU cooling but that might be excusable for people who choose closed loop radiators because they look good

- Corsair fucking dominator platinums. Mostly people with more money than sense thinking they're somehow better

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

K series processors for ppl who have no interest in overclocking, much less even know what it means.

Preferably in combination with a mobo/chipset that does not even allow multiplier adjustment.

Coolers. People going for 280mm radiator watercoolers on locked CPU's "because I value silence" or "because I might get an unlocked CPU in the future" or the best one "because it looks cool".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

you left out Prebuild Gaming PCs

like the Acer Predator or Alienware PCs

It depends, really. My grandmother bought an Alienware Alpha base model for me recently, and it came up to about $450 for an i3 4170t, a GTX 860m and 8GB of RAM. I'm able to play most games quite well.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I have observed that people way overspend on the following (according to my opinion sometimes, and according to objective performance per dollar metrics most of the time)

- Motherboards (extreme case: someone buys a $120 H170 motherboard for their i7-6700K)

- RAM (dammit guys RAM is not hard to make and doesn't fail with time, just buy the Adata or Avexir)

- GTX 1060 6GBs (yes it's 5% faster than the competition, no that doesn't make it worth $280)

- CPU cooling but that might be excusable for people who choose closed loop radiators because they look good

- Corsair fucking dominator platinums. Mostly people with more money than sense thinking they're somehow better

Wouldn't a H170 for a K CPU be underspending?

What is a 6GB GTX 1060 only 5% faster than?

55 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Coolers. People going for 280mm radiator watercoolers on locked CPU's "because I value silence" or "because I might get an unlocked CPU in the future" or the best one "because it looks cool".

What's wrong with wanting a quiet computer?  ?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Wouldn't a H170 for a K CPU be underspending?

Not when it's a $120 H170 like i've seen a couple times

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What is a 6GB GTX 1060 only 5% faster than?

RX 480 (any variant) (depending on game, rough numbers)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Big dual tower air coolers like the NH-D15 will be more silent in almost all circumstances, because they don't need a water pump to be running all the time

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

50 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Big dual tower air coolers like the NH-D15 will be more silent in almost all circumstances, because they don't need a water pump to be running all the time

^this.

It's not the thought about wanting a silent PC that is wrong, it's the pre-conception that all watercoolers are quieter than air coolers: they are not (always).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, HunterFoos said:

It depends, really. My grandmother bought an Alienware Alpha base model for me recently, and it came up to about $450 for an i3 4170t, a GTX 860m and 8GB of RAM. I'm able to play most games quite well.

450 seems reasonable

my buddy paid 1.8K for the Acer Desktop which had a i7 6700, 16GB DDR4, 128GB SSD 1TB HDD and dun dun dun... GTX950...

19 hours ago, aisle9 said:

GPUs. Don't flame me, just hear me out. NVIDIA and AMD push hard to make you think that you need a 1080 for 3D pinball or a 480 for Minesweeper (and they owe Linus a commission in that regard). The typical PC gamer would get by just fine with a $100 GTX 1050 or RX 460, hell, even a $60 GTX 750 Ti. DOTA2, LoL and CS:GO do not require a GTX 1070, but NVIDIA thanks you for spreading the myth that they do.

People's requirements are very subjective. Can you define how NVIDIA(and even Linus in that regard) are spreading myths that you need a powerful video card for Minesweeper/3D pinball. If anything, I just see joke comments being made about both those games with those video cards. 

Where does NVIDIA imply that any of those games require a 1070? I think you're over exaggerating in order to make a point that doesn't actually exist.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Full Disclosure, I'm guilty of this.

CASES.... people overspend on cases.

It's just a box.

4 hours ago, Unimportant said:

K series processors for ppl who have no interest in overclocking, much less even know what it means.

Preferably in combination with a mobo/chipset that does not even allow multiplier adjustment.

This was me. I had every intention of overlcocking so I bought a 4790k as my first real processor, and it has sat at standard 4.0 since I got i.

5 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

92mm is a standard size, evidenced by the fact I so easily found a replacement. It's just not as common as 80, 120, and 140. The NF-A9 is ultra quiet compared to the stock Cryorig fan and pushes air better. I have it spinning about 120 RPM faster than the Cryorig fan and it's still quieter. Outside the 120mm fans, Noctua seems to market their newest NF-A series fans as a best of both worlds kind of thing. In 120mm, Noctua still markets separate airflow (NF-S12A) and static pressure (NF-F12) fans. With all the NF-A fans I've owned so far, they seem to handle both roles just fine. They have more than enough airflow for case fans and beat out other static pressure optimized fans on heatsinks.

Yeah, the SP-120's that came with the H100i V2 I tried, one was pretty quiet but the other was one was obscenely loud. I do own 3 AF-140L and 3 AF-140 LED (Blue) fans and they aren't bad. They have a fair amount of blade noise but motor noise isn't bad.

I guess what I should've said was 92mm is less common.  

Corsair's ML120 fans are like that too.  They seem to be stated to be good for airflow and static pressure.  I just got a blue led ML120 today and I can safely say that you can really feel some air coming from it especially at 100%.  Though I hope and assume it would never need to run at 100%.  It was a bit loud at full blast.  But to be fair I was holding it in my hand and not mounted in a closed case. 

How do you think a 120mm NF-A Noctua fan would compare to a Corsair ML-120?

I'm currently planning to get 2 Ml-120 fans but I've been told Noctua is a good brand for fans.  

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Not when it's a $120 H170 like i've seen a couple times

RX 480 (any variant) (depending on game, rough numbers)

That does seem a little high for a H170.  I'd think $80-100 would be better.  

Hmmm..  I was under the impression that a RX 480 is roughly equal to a GTX 970 and the GTX 1060 6GB (since I think the 3GB performs worse than the 6GB right?) is supposed to be about a GTX 980.  

Or does a 980 only perform about 5% better than a 970?

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Are there quieter pumps?

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

^this.

It's not the thought about wanting a silent PC that is wrong, it's the pre-conception that all watercoolers are quieter than air coolers: they are not (always).

I'd hope not.  My quest for silence is why I'm replacing my case fans (once I decide on and buy new ones) and my CPU cooler.

2 minutes ago, elkenrod said:

Full Disclosure, I'm guilty of this.

CASES.... people overspend on cases.

It's just a box.

But if you're going to stare at it every day it may as well be a pretty box.  ?

The only thing I regretted from my build was my case. I got the full-size phantom which I reckon is actually worse for my situation (Limited desk space) than, for example, a H440 or a Noctis and cost me around £40 more (Something like $50, I think). On top of this, I already knew I was hoping to rebuild into a desk-pc as soon as I could and boy would that extra cash be coming in handy right now.

Other people often overspend on motherboards (Although this is dropping thanks to the great informational videos). I can't say I've ever seen an issue with RAM or storage but I can see why some might seriously overspend on that, especially regarding things like "Pro" products, M.2 or PCIe SSD's and other things like WD Blacks that realistically make very little difference for a standard user.

i5 6600k, R9 390, 1TB WD Blue, 250GB 850 EVO, CM Hyper212 EVO, NZXT Phantom Black w/ No window

cooling

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Intel 750 SSDs, although I'm sure the "datacenter dna" might lead to continued reliability. 

I paid less the .5/Gb so I'm happy.