PC parts people overspend on

Mooshi
1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you at least know if there's a 120mm version of that Noctua fan you put on the Cryorig cooler?

By stick with I assume you mean some Noctua fans?  What model?

There isn't an NF-A version of the 120. Like I said, the 120mm are weird with Noctua. Pretty much every other size, they do the NF-A. 120, they do an Airflow NF-S12 and static pressure NF-F12 but I'd say the NF-F12 is the closest equivalent. If you are trying to go through filters, go with the NF-F12.

Sorry, my HTPC is the only one with 120mm fans and I actually use Fractal Design Silent R2 fans for the case. They're not the best but they are cheap (about $10 a piece) and relatively quiet. Once I put a beefier video card in it, I may switch to some NF-F12 fans.

Oh, and a Fire Pro is the AMD equivalent to the nVidia Quadro. It's a professional video card for rendering.

9 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

There isn't an NF-A version of the 120. Like I said, the 120mm are weird with Noctua. Pretty much every other size, they do the NF-A. 120, they do an Airflow NF-S12 and static pressure NF-F12 but I'd say the NF-F12 is the closest equivalent. If you are trying to go through filters, go with the NF-F12.

Sorry, my HTPC is the only one with 120mm fans and I actually use Fractal Design Silent R2 fans for the case. They're not the best but they are cheap (about $10 a piece) and relatively quiet. Once I put a beefier video card in it, I may switch to some NF-F12 fans.

Oh, and a Fire Pro is the AMD equivalent to the nVidia Quadro. It's a professional video card for rendering.

That is weird.  ?

Is the S12 airflow or static pressure?  The S makes me wonder since corsair he their static pressure fans labeled as SP so I was wondering if you were mixing up the model numbers.  

If you're not mixing them up then I'm sorry.  

Is your main desktop a full tower?    Mine is a mid-tower so aside from the 2 top fan mounts that I'm not using it can only use 120mm I'm pretty sure.   

8 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That is weird.  ?

Is the S12 airflow or static pressure?  The S makes me wonder since corsair he their static pressure fans labeled as SP so I was wondering if you were mixing up the model numbers.  

If you're not mixing them up then I'm sorry.  

Is your main desktop a full tower?    Mine is a mid-tower so aside from the 2 top fan mounts that I'm not using it can only use 120mm I'm pretty sure.   

Didn't mix em up. The NF-S12 is an airflow fan and the NF-F12 is static pressure. They are Austrian so maybe it makes sense in German.

And yes, my main rig is built into a Corsair Obsidian 750D Full-Tower. I use all 140mm fans, even on the cooler.

2 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

Didn't mix em up. The NF-S12 is an airflow fan and the NF-F12 is static pressure. They are Austrian so maybe it makes sense in German.

And yes, my main rig is built into a Corsair Obsidian 750D Full-Tower. I use all 140mm fans, even on the cooler.

Ok.  Just checking.  ?

*Insert awed "it's so big! ?" meme here* lol

Do you mind if I ask why the full tower?  Are there benefits to using a huge case?

(I'm not saying a full tower is bad.  Just curious about them.)

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.  Just checking.  ?

*Insert awed "it's so big! ?" meme here* lol

Do you mind if I ask why the full tower?  Are there benefits to using a huge case?

(I'm not saying a full tower is bad.  Just curious about them.)

I drive tiny cars and build in huge cases..... seriously though, they are just easier to work in to me. No clearance issues. That NH-U14S cooler probably wouldn't fit in anything smaller. Also, larger case = larger fans. Larger fans = lower RPMs. I like quiet. I am considering building in a smaller case for my next build though. I really like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. When I move, I plan on getting a larger desk and putting the PC up on it. A full tower I feel like would be a bit much for that.

20 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

I drive tiny cars and build in huge cases..... seriously though, they are just easier to work in to me. No clearance issues. That NH-U14S cooler probably wouldn't fit in anything smaller. Also, larger case = larger fans. Larger fans = lower RPMs. I like quiet. I am considering building in a smaller case for my next build though. I really like the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv. When I move, I plan on getting a larger desk and putting the PC up on it. A full tower I feel like would be a bit much for that.

Coming from a laptop that sounds like a jet engine I like quiet too.  ?

It could fit if you had a big enough desk so a full tower wouldn't take up too much space.

But if you like that Phanteks case then go for it.  ?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Coming from a laptop that sounds like a jet engine I like quiet too.  ?

It could fit if you had a big enough desk so a full tower wouldn't take up too much space.

But if you like that Phanteks case then go for it.  ?

I just think a full tower looks weird on a desk. Nothing to do about space really.

I feel ya on the laptop. I gave my dad my MSI GE60 with an i7 4710HQ and GTX 850M just cause I hated hearing it. Undersized heatsink couldn't cool it well enough. $900 door stop as far as I'm concerned. Again, shit people overspend on. I had absolutely no need for that ridiculous thing. I would have been served just as well by an i5 U-series laptop.

11 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

The feeling I have is that going with PCI-e SSDs is yet to be an overkill and waste of money when SATA3 SSDs are more than capable of giving the full real world performance you need Especially when your main purpose for the PC lays in gaming.

I like the PCI-e or more preferably M.2 (SATA or NVMe) storage solutions due to the reduction of clutter in the case. No need to manage the SATA and power cables to the drive when they don't have any.

Otherwise, as you said, SATA3 drives are perfectly fine.

Overkill and a waste, IMO, would be the U.2 drives. M.2 NVMe speeds, but with the power and data cables