PC parts people overspend on

Mooshi

-Storage (higher end and lower end SATA SSDs aren't all that different in real world performance)

-Motherboards (No need to get more than you need)

-RAM

-AIO CPU coolers (air coolers are cheaper and better in most cases)

Pretty much it though. I get that cases can be expensive and don't affect performance, but at the same time I get that aesthetics are important to certain people. I wouldn't use a case over $100 personally, but I get the tempered glass stuff, and I'd probably get an S340 Elite if I were to choose a case for a personal build rn. 

Prebuilts, even desktops, are fine as long as you aren't spending more than like $800.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

4 hours ago, Minibois said:

^this.

It's not the thought about wanting a silent PC that is wrong, it's the pre-conception that all watercoolers are quieter than air coolers: they are not (always).

Yeeeeep.  AIO coolers aren't inherently quieter than tower coolers if they have pump noise and/or loud stock fans.

I bought a custom 980Ti in its Release Week..sooo...9_9..ya overspend alot there.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Well, I bough an AIO to cool a G3258 for one, but it was funny how it never reached more than 40ºC. To be fair I got it for only $40 USD. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

I've heard a lot of bad things about Samsung SSD'S

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

I've heard a lot of bad things about Samsung SSD'S

They used to have issues. Now they are the best on the market.

For me its definitely 1060's. The amount of people saying they will only go Nvidia is ridiculous

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

They used to have issues. Now they are the best on the market.

For me its definitely 1060's. The amount of people saying they will only go Nvidia is ridiculous

Would it be better to have an SSD that's really fast but a rather small storage and just have the OS on it and have a hard drive with all my programs in it. Or what 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

21 hours ago, Mooshi said:

lmao I have an i7 with a 1060. To be fair, I can afford to get a more expensive GPU, I simply don't get to use my PC as much as I'd like due to work and tend to upgrade every 4ish years so I went with an i7 and will upgrade the GPU and monitor sometime 2017 when the new gen comes out. 

I agree, (although my current rig is 4790k/1070.)   Your monitor and the sorts of games you prefer might mean there is no appreciable benefit to be gained from a more expensive GPU.

I upgrade GPUs about once every 2-3 years, but prefer my CPU to last at least five.

1 minute ago, BadluckBrian said:

Would it be better to have an SSD that's really fast but a rather small storage and just have the OS on it and have a hard drive with all my programs in it. Or what 

The difference in OS time on an SSD like mine (SanDisk SSDPlus) and a 960 Pro is very small so not really. Id just get something like a decent cheap 120GB SSD and an HDD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

The feeling I have is that going with PCI-e SSDs is yet to be an overkill and waste of money when SATA3 SSDs are more than capable of giving the full real world performance you need Especially when your main purpose for the PC lays in gaming.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The difference in OS time on an SSD like mine (SanDisk SSDPlus) and a 960 Pro is very small so not really. Id just get something like a decent cheap 120GB SSD and an HDD

Okay thank you!

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

7 hours ago, Energycore said:

- RAM (dammit guys RAM is not hard to make and doesn't fail with time, just buy the Adata or Avexir)

I did by ADATA RAM.

All 32 GB of it...

:D

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

People's requirements are very subjective. Can you define how NVIDIA(and even Linus in that regard) are spreading myths that you need a powerful video card for Minesweeper/3D pinball. If anything, I just see joke comments being made about both those games with those video cards. 

Where does NVIDIA imply that any of those games require a 1070? I think you're over exaggerating in order to make a point that doesn't actually exist.

NVIDIA has a marketing department. Their marketing department pitches the 1080 as the next big thing, something every PC gamer needs. Linus and Jay and Austin and Awesomesauce all do reviews of the 1080 telling us how it's the best thing ever. You really have to come here to find people preaching the need to buy the parts that play the games you want to play. Even then, there are more than a few people on LTT who have bragged about their 6700K/1070 combo...for CS:GO at 1440p. Do any reviewers sit there and say that you need a 1080 for Minesweeper? No, but they don't really challenge the notion either, and if someone wants to buy a 1080 for Minesweeper, NVIDIA is sure as hell going to tell them what a great idea it is and sell them one.

2 hours ago, elkenrod said:

Full Disclosure, I'm guilty of this.

CASES.... people overspend on cases.

It's just a box.

It's just a box until someone picks out a freaking DIYPC box for their build, and you spend the next three hours of your life trying to get the parts to fit securely into a flimsy metal case and shoving cables wherever you can find to fit them, then head to the hospital afterwards because you've lost a pint of blood from gashing yourself three thousand times.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

-snip-

And I honestly don't see why is that wrong in the first place? Marketing, Propaganda, Advertising, Promoting, etc... all are part of the capitalism, every single company for any product from electronics to cloths to cosmetics and drugs etc will always sell 2 things, the product and the image.

You can't blame nVidia for your lack of patience to sit down and read articles and talk to people and actually understand what hardware are capable of and what fits better in what, people want nVidia marketing department to write them technical lectures on cost-benefice? I mean come on people should quit being so easy to be influenced and start thinking and studying things for themselves if they feel a company is "taking advantage of you because you got yourself driven by the hype they built"

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

And I honestly don't see why is that wrong in the first place? Marketing, Propaganda, Advertising, Promoting, etc... all are part of the capitalism, every single company for any product from electronics to cloths to cosmetics and drugs etc will always sell 2 things, the product and the image.

You can't blame nVidia for your lack of patience to sit down and read articles and talk to people and actually understand what hardware are capable of and what fits better in what, people want nVidia marketing department to write them technical lectures on cost-benefice? I mean come on people should quit being so easy to be influenced and start thinking and studying things for themselves if they feel a company is "taking advantage of you because you got yourself driven by the hype they built"

Drug advertising

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, BadluckBrian said:

Drug advertising

Yeah? have you never seen a single ad of a pain killer or whatever in the television in your life?

Personal Desktop":

8 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

It's just a box until someone picks out a freaking DIYPC box for their build, and you spend the next three hours of your life trying to get the parts to fit securely into a flimsy metal case and shoving cables wherever you can find to fit them, then head to the hospital afterwards because you've lost a pint of blood from gashing yourself three thousand times.

In my experience the bleeding has more to due with the CPU heat sink than anything else.  But I do see your point.  Most case reviews never talk about that aspect of it.  Sharp edges I mean.

2 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How do you think a 120mm NF-A Noctua fan would compare to a Corsair ML-120?

If you mean the NF-S12A, it runs at half the max RPM of a ML120 so it's a totally different beast. You could compare the ML120 to an NF-F12 iPPC 2000RPM (the ML120 seems to win here by a bit)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

23 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Upon browsing some threads with users asking suggestions for their new rig part selection, I kept silently telling myself some selections were overpriced for the intended function. Does anyone else do this and what parts do you feel get over spent on? 

This isn't a thread to mock people's budgets or to start any flame wars, it's mostly for observation. By all means if you have the money, go all out if you can afford it! For me personally, I think it's the CPU coolers and RAM. My kit is nothing special, it's a G.Skill Ripjawz set running at 2666mhz--I can not justify for the life of me a Platinum 3200+ kit when considering real world performance to price difference. Same for CPU coolers. I can understand the AIO aesthetic, but $100 vs $30 for a modestly overclocked system..H7 will do haha. 

How does the LTT community feel about certain parts and their price tags? 

Hmmmm, nope, can't think of a single part I over paid for really........

ROG-MVIIIF.jpg

Yours faithfully

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How do you think a 120mm NF-A Noctua fan would compare to a Corsair ML-120?

Couldn't tell ya. I was considering some ML-140 Blue LED fans at one point cause I do still like to rice it up a bit with my main PC but I just couldn't justify the cost. I'd rather have the Noctuas and an LED strip instead. I might still try the ML-140s some time though. Maybe when I get my tax return in a couple of months. I do kinda need to quit buying fans. Speaking of over spending, there's seriously a very large stack of fans piling up on a counter in my house created by my constant swapping. I finally picked the ones I think I'm gonna stick with but I love trying out different ones still. It just gets kind of expensive.

2 hours ago, ElZamo92 said:

Well, I bough an AIO to cool a G3258 for one, but it was funny how it never reached more than 40ºC. To be fair I got it for only $40 USD. 

You know it's funny I was just thinking the other day it would be interesting/fun/funny to get either a crazy big tower CPU cooler or a AIO water cooler for the G3258 in my secondary desktop and then attempt to learn how to OC it crazy high and see what happens. 

Seriously I was really thinking of doing that.   Though also partly just to have a little firsthand experience with a basic AIO cooler.  

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

I know that feeling.  ?

Last soeing I used this POS Rosewill case when I first built my secondary deaktop and it sucked.  I cut myself pretty bad getting the front panel off when I was building the computer.  Though looking back idk why I thought I needed to take the panel off when I wasn't putting in an optical drive (there wasn't room with all the PSU cables in the way anyway) or changing the front fan.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006BCK7RM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I actually like the front fan grill, it seems to have a decent amount of open length inside for a GPU, and I like how the front fan is directly in front of the GPU.  But especially if you use a non-modular PSU you won't have any room to use the optical drive bay, there's only 1 HDD bay, (at least room for a second or a single ssd would be a huge improvement) and in general you can tell just from touching it that it's a low quality case with lots of pointy and rough edges.  ?

It was only a few months later after someone on LTT showed me a Corsair 88R that I quickly switched my secondary desktop to one of those.  Though I wish I'd known about the Spec-M2 version of it since I like the front panel better.

1 hour ago, elkenrod said:

In my experience the bleeding has more to due with the CPU heat sink than anything else.  But I do see your point.  Most case reviews never talk about that aspect of it.  Sharp edges I mean.

When I put the Cryorig H7 in the Usagi build I did for my friend I defintely had to be a little careful since it was a little sharp in spots but thankfully not enough to cut me.

58 minutes ago, Energycore said:

If you mean the NF-S12A, it runs at half the max RPM of a ML120 so it's a totally different beast. You could compare the ML120 to an NF-F12 iPPC 2000RPM (the ML120 seems to win here by a bit)

Idk.  I was referring to the Noctua fan he put on the CPU cooler.  A 120mm version of it if there is one.

53 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Hmmmm, nope, can't think of a single part I over paid for really........

ROG-MVIIIF.jpg

I still wonder how with the covering around the PCIE slots how it doesn't get in the way of putting anything in the slots.  It looks like that surrounding the slots like it would either prevent their use of at least make it tricky.  Nice looking board otherwise.  

33 minutes ago, B16CXHatch said:

Couldn't tell ya. I was considering some ML-140 Blue LED fans at one point cause I do still like to rice it up a bit with my main PC but I just couldn't justify the cost. I'd rather have the Noctuas and an LED strip instead. I might still try the ML-140s some time though. Maybe when I get my tax return in a couple of months. I do kinda need to quit buying fans. Speaking of over spending, there's seriously a very large stack of fans piling up on a counter in my house created by my constant swapping. I finally picked the ones I think I'm gonna stick with but I love trying out different ones still. It just gets kind of expensive.

Do you at least know if there's a 120mm version of that Noctua fan you put on the Cryorig cooler?

By stick with I assume you mean some Noctua fans?  What model?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk.  I was referring to the Noctua fan he put on the CPU cooler.  A 120mm version of it if there is one.

Oh you mean the NF-A15 or A14 which are 140mm

Well the NF-F12 is what I would call the 120mm equivalent. They're static pressure oriented fans that don't give up airflow.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I still wonder how with the covering around the PCIE slots how it doesn't get in the way of putting anything in the slots.  It looks like that surrounding the slots like it would either prevent their use of at least make it tricky.  Nice looking board otherwise.  

Hmm, it is very well designed not to interfere, the cover (called ROG armour or something like that, yep, has it on the box) is only barely taller than the slots, it really don't get in the way at all

Yours faithfully

22 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I still wonder how with the covering around the PCIE slots how it doesn't get in the way of putting anything in the slots.  It looks like that surrounding the slots like it would either prevent their use of at least make it tricky.  Nice looking board otherwise

as you can see cards fit in with plenty of room. 

20161230_061913[1].jpg

20161230_061920[1].jpg

Yours faithfully

45 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh you mean the NF-A15 or A14 which are 140mm

Well the NF-F12 is what I would call the 120mm equivalent. They're static pressure oriented fans that don't give up airflow.

Maybe?  But he'd said the Noctua fan he put on the cooler is 92mm not 140 so idk.

32 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Hmm, it is very well designed not to interfere, the cover (called ROG armour or something like that, yep, has it on the box) is only barely taller than the slots, it really don't get in the way at all

Ah.  That's good.  I wasn't worried that armor thing would be an issue.  ?

Possibly dumb question for the day: what's a FirePro?