how long does an average gaming pc last

HongkingGong
24 minutes ago, Litargirio said:

prove it

Digital foundry has a video on it.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

seems more like its related to i3 and i5 having less cache since all benchmarks done with an i7 from multiple sources show no real benefit.

conclusion: faster ram is still not worth it the money is better spend on a faster cpu if this is whats limiting you.

7 hours ago, App4that said:

Since you want to be a bugger. 

its called proving your point, everyone can make up random facts, the difference is just talking about it or at least providing a source for the information.

@App4that

Thank you. I just wanted to know what exactly the statement was based on, since that idea was new to me and I had been led to believe the oposite in the past.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I prefer to believe that higher frequency is pretty much useless, there are a huge amount of benchmarks and videos showing that so and in my real life performance the 2133mhz ddr4 has been up to the task just perfectly.

People end up paying a ton more in RAM only for heatsinks that helps nothing and a higher frequency that only looks good on paper.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I am still running an i7-2600 machine with a GTX 1070 and it is still competitive with modern i5-6600 Skylake machines. It has been left behind by 6700K and x99 Haswell-E/Broadwell-E systems in outright performance but it still provides good enough CPU power for all the modern games I have used it with.

The i7-4790K you have should last you a good 5-6 years providing "good enough" performance, particularly if you overclock.

You will find though, that your GPU will be left behind as time goes by. I would expect your 980TI to provide "good enough" performance for about 3 years before you would have to start looking to upgrade that component. Of course, If your expectation is to run every game at ultra settings without compromise, that time estimate will be shorter. fortunately GPUs are modular and can be upgraded separately to the CPU

7 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

seems more like its related to i3 and i5 having less cache since all benchmarks done with an i7 from multiple sources show no real benefit.

conclusion: faster ram is still not worth it the money is better spend on a faster cpu if this is whats limiting you.

See, this is the misinformation that has plagued this forum for far too long. Faster RAM speeds, are fucking free. It cost nothings, nada, zip, ziltch, no money what's so ever.

But why do people like you push it? Beliefs. Are you freaking kidding me... You'd rather believe than go off evidence. Rather than overclock your RAM the same way you overclock your graphics card, you'd rather have beliefs.

Many people can't afford a i7, and I'm sitting here with a i7 and can tell you depending on the game it's still a sizable difference. 

Not some random people, but two people who have been on this forum for some time now. Not made up bs but observations backed by testing by professionals. 

Oi

If anyone asks you never saw me.