GTX 1080 Drastic Performance Differences

Omie

Why do people say that different GTX 1080's don't matter and it's only about a 1-3 fps difference between them?

For example, the MSI 1080 Gaming X gets about 28-29 less fps than the Asus Strix on Overwatch.

Here are two videos:

This video is the Asus Strix 1080 with an i7 6700k @ 4.0Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=fzFdiBD4vVA

This video is the MSI 1080 Gaming X with an i7 6700k @ 4.3Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FezySgHpXfo

As you can see the Gaming X gets around 115 fps lowest while the Strix maintains a constant 143-144 fps. The rig with the Gaming X even has a higher OC'd CPU and still gets less fps.

So what the hell is the reason for this massive performance difference if "all GTX 1080's perform about the same, give or take a few fps." Last time I checked 29 fps doesn't constitute "a few fps." 

Now I have to get a refund on my 1080 Gaming X once it ships here and order a different card, what a load of shit this is. 

Anecdotal. They could have used different settings, different anything, and that would affect the performance. People are right, 1080's will perform the same with a 3-4 FPS margin of error. Find real reviews of the cards and you'll see how they stack up, not some rando on YouTube. 

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Anecdotal. They could have used different settings, different anything, and that would affect the performance. People are right, 1080's will perform the same with a 3-4 FPS margin of error. Find real reviews of the cards and you'll see how they stack up, not some rando on YouTube. 

Well it's the same story for other games comparing the two cards such as Watch Dogs 2, Mafia 3, etc.

And if you l look at the two videos you can see their settings in the beginning, their both the same.

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

Well it's the same story for other games comparing the two cards such as Watch Dogs 2, Mafia 3, etc.

And if you l look at the two videos you can see their settings in the beginning, their both the same.

except one DOES NOT show his advanced settings...and the other do...maybe he is running at 125% resolution scalling what do you know?

maybe they use different anti-aliasing settings etc.

you can't compare like that, and these GPU's do perform about the same...IF you use the EXACT SAME SETTINGS on both.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

14 minutes ago, Omie said:

We don't know what clocks the ASUS card is at. The MSI, however, is stuck at its normal boost of 1898 Mhz on the core. That's lower than a 1080 can go, especially at those temps. We never see the MSI guy's settings.

They perform exactly the same in these games within margin of error.

You don't need to return your 1080. If you want RGB lighting, then go for it.. but performance-wise you're getting the exact same thing.

28 minutes ago, Omie said:

Now I have to get a refund on my 1080 Gaming X once it ships here and order a different card, what a load of shit this is. 

you're an idiot

there

I said it

The settings could be completely different on each card, and definitely are, with such a large discrepancy in FPS.

keep your 1080

keep your money

but rid yourself of foolishness 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

The ONLY and ONLY reason to return it for a STRIX is if you prefer the looks of the STRIX. Didn't even show card clocks.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Id never buy msi.

My strix got the same frames as my evga sc. I'm sure it can oc better with all that power delivery but each card got 2000mhz with adding some voltage. And that's where I stopped.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Omie said:

Why do people say that different GTX 1080's don't matter and it's only about a 1-3 fps difference between them?

For example, the MSI 1080 Gaming X gets about 28-29 less fps than the Asus Strix on Overwatch.

Here are two videos:

This video is the Asus Strix 1080 with an i7 6700k @ 4.0Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=fzFdiBD4vVA

This video is the MSI 1080 Gaming X with an i7 6700k @ 4.3Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FezySgHpXfo

As you can see the Gaming X gets around 115 fps lowest while the Strix maintains a constant 143-144 fps. The rig with the Gaming X even has a higher OC'd CPU and still gets less fps.

So what the hell is the reason for this massive performance difference if "all GTX 1080's perform about the same, give or take a few fps." Last time I checked 29 fps doesn't constitute "a few fps." 

I seriously hope you're joking. Returning a card for the same card from another brand is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. The maximum difference you're going to find is 4 fps, and that's with the cards out of the box, a slight overclock that takes 1 minute will even that difference. It does not take a genius to realize that they were using different settings or resolutions in the videos.

8 hours ago, Kobathor said:

We don't know what clocks the ASUS card is at. The MSI, however, is stuck at its normal boost of 1898 Mhz on the core. That's lower than a 1080 can go, especially at those temps. We never see the MSI guy's settings.

You don't need to return your 1080. If you want RGB lighting, then go for it.. but performance-wise you're getting the exact same thing.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm paranoid as hell.

I've not opened and returned a G1 Gaming and Gigabyte Windforce prior to the MSI that's shipping to me right now.

I keep reading reviews of people having so many issues and when I think I read a review with lots of positive reviews, I begin to uncover negative reviews once I already placed the order. 

Idk what's wrong with me, I guess I'm searching for the "perfect" card but I know it doesn't exist. 

Since this is a new build, I just don't want to fk it up. 

A little background story: 3-4 years ago I was looking to build a gaming PC and people recommended me the FX-6300 and I dropped $1500 on that build. I have regretted that decision every single day cause that CPU can't run games for jack shit.

I dont want to mess up like that again which is why I'm so picky about every single little thing. This is driving me crazy. What was supposed to be a fun experience in picking out parts/building a pc turned out to be a dreadful and depressing experience for me.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.

Meh, seems easy enough. I get an i7 and a sabor tooth board and what ever the best card is. Works everytime, when you set a specific budget and take people's advice who don't play the same games or have lower standards is when issues pop up. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

7 hours ago, Omie said:

A little background story: 3-4 years ago I was looking to build a gaming PC and people recommended me the FX-6300 and I dropped $1500 on that build. I have regretted that decision every single day cause that CPU can't run games for jack shit.

I dont want to mess up like that again which is why I'm so picky about every single little thing. This is driving me crazy. What was supposed to be a fun experience in picking out parts/building a pc turned out to be a dreadful and depressing experience for me.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.

Duuude.. I understand. I would hate myself if I got a 6300 in a $1500 build. Sorry for the trouble!

But here's a tip about graphics cards- look up YouTube reviews by regular techtubers- LTT, awesomesaucenetwork (now bitwit,) paulshardware, JayzTwoCents, Tech Syndicate (now CritTV..) and see which one you'd like most. Then decide. These guys will give honest reviews. Also look at AnAndtech if you want really thorough, text reviews. They have great reviews on lots of cards.

You can google any graphics card and you'll see people that have problems with them. That's just how it is. Every single product will have negative reviews. Honestly, most bad reviews come from people who had insane expectations for their card, and didn't reach them (IE somebody with a new 1080 expects a 2.3Ghz OC and they get 2100Mhz like everybody else.) That, or people who's cards went bad, and they immediately placed a bad review rather than simple RMA'ing their card.

If you buy a nice card and it goes bad in a few months, the manufacturer will repair or replace it for free. As long as you're buying a nice card in the first place, chances it's a bad card is less than 1%. So, back to graphics card buying business..

Here's some 1080's I can recommend-

ASUS STRIX 1080

Gigabyte Extreme Gaming 1080

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 (regular Windforce one is a bit mediocre. Not the best card, but it's cheaper, so.)

MSI Gaming X 1080

MSI Gaming 1080

Galax HoF 1080

EVGA 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0

EVGA 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0

EVGA 1080 CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 3.0

ZOTAC 1080 AMP! Extreme

Probably some others I can't remember.

All of the Founder's Edition cards are not great unless you're gonna custom-watercool them. Quote me if you need more help!

12 hours ago, Omie said:

I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm paranoid as hell.

I've not opened and returned a G1 Gaming and Gigabyte Windforce prior to the MSI that's shipping to me right now.

I keep reading reviews of people having so many issues and when I think I read a review with lots of positive reviews, I begin to uncover negative reviews once I already placed the order. 

Idk what's wrong with me, I guess I'm searching for the "perfect" card but I know it doesn't exist. 

Since this is a new build, I just don't want to fk it up. 

I get it, and feeling like that is more normal than you think. But the truth is, there's no "perfect" card. Every single 1080 will perform the same, with a maximum difference of 4 fps, which can be mitigated with a simple overclock that takes about 1 minute to do.  Generally, when a person chooses a custom card, they do it for the looks and customer service. So just get the prettiest one and be done with it, the performance is going to be the same regardless of which one you pick. And don't listen to negative reviews unless they are overwhelmingly frequent. Not even a 40% of buyers write reviews, and when they do, they often do it to whine about a problem they had.    

There is no way a gtx 1080 performs differently from another gtx 1080 unless they are clocked differently and thermals.

No one else sees that the MSI video has the CPU overclocked? That alone makes the comparison useless.. 

3 minutes ago, KonoeKyon said:

No one else sees that the MSI video has the CPU overclocked? That alone makes the comparison useless.. 

We all did.

Lay off the mulled wine, it's not time for it yet. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

7 hours ago, Kobathor said:

Duuude.. I understand. I would hate myself if I got a 6300 in a $1500 build. Sorry for the trouble!

But here's a tip about graphics cards- look up YouTube reviews by regular techtubers- LTT, awesomesaucenetwork (now bitwit,) paulshardware, JayzTwoCents, Tech Syndicate (now CritTV..) and see which one you'd like most. Then decide. These guys will give honest reviews. Also look at AnAndtech if you want really thorough, text reviews. They have great reviews on lots of cards.

You can google any graphics card and you'll see people that have problems with them. That's just how it is. Every single product will have negative reviews. Honestly, most bad reviews come from people who had insane expectations for their card, and didn't reach them (IE somebody with a new 1080 expects a 2.3Ghz OC and they get 2100Mhz like everybody else.) That, or people who's cards went bad, and they immediately placed a bad review rather than simple RMA'ing their card.

If you buy a nice card and it goes bad in a few months, the manufacturer will repair or replace it for free. As long as you're buying a nice card in the first place, chances it's a bad card is less than 1%. So, back to graphics card buying business..

Here's some 1080's I can recommend-

ASUS STRIX 1080

Gigabyte Extreme Gaming 1080

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 (regular Windforce one is a bit mediocre. Not the best card, but it's cheaper, so.)

MSI Gaming X 1080

MSI Gaming 1080

Galax HoF 1080

EVGA 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0

EVGA 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0

EVGA 1080 CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 3.0

ZOTAC 1080 AMP! Extreme

Probably some others I can't remember.

All of the Founder's Edition cards are not great unless you're gonna custom-watercool them. Quote me if you need more help!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it :).

I decided that I'm going to go with the Asus Strix 1080 OC. I have an ASUS z170 pro gaming aura mobo too and I hear I can sync the lights of the card and mobo together which is cool. 

The only problem is that the Strix OC edition sells out crazy fast, like within a couple hours. So I gotta grab one once it comes in stock again.

Here is my completed build if you wanna take a look: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FH4rqk

53 minutes ago, Omie said:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it :).

I decided that I'm going to go with the Asus Strix 1080 OC. I have an ASUS z170 pro gaming aura mobo too and I hear I can sync the lights of the card and mobo together which is cool. 

The only problem is that the Strix OC edition sells out crazy fast, like within a couple hours. So I gotta grab one once it comes in stock again.

Here is my completed build if you wanna take a look: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FH4rqk

No problem! :)

That's a pretty sick build dude, nice! Also, yeah, you'll really have to be patient to get the STRIX. It's a popular card. I think it'll look cool matching your motherboard LED's.

Return the card if you want to by all means but I will tell you this about the MSI cards:

the MSI cooler is one of the most efficient ones going, it is also one of the quietest ones around,

The MSI cards have higher power limits at default settings than the EVGA, Asus and gigabyte cards that help get higher stable overclock. The EVGA cards in particular bounce around because they hit the power limit and downclock a lot

you can flash a Gaming Z bios and get a free upgrade default clock. The PCB and circuitry are identical, the only difference is the naf led on the Z backplate. You shoudl also be able to upgrade the non OC Strix card to the OC version with a bios flash as well

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:01 PM, Kobathor said:

isn't the golden number 2100mhz on most 1080's for a solid OC too? like that's 20% lower lol no shit it would perform 20% worse if the strix card is overclocked to the point its frying eggs.

what we also don't see is the fan curves that he's using. if he's ramping the strix card up to 80% and leaving the msi card stock... you know the rest.

Besides the only differences that actually affect the performance significantly from 1080 to 1080 is the cooler and the number of power phases. everything else is aesthetic or ease of use like a backplate or an out of the box superclock.