Snapnator- the USB-C mag-safe charger....since apple nixed it

Syntaxvgm

So this caught my attention- 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/436147229/snapnator-your-macbook-snap-feature-is-back?ref=category

0e05c917b7b1d8aeb7c51c439811015a_origina

Since at apple, innovation means getting rid of the best parts of your products- like being the first and one of the only to make a non-retarded laptop charger, it's now up to third parties to make sure you don't trip over your macbook and slam it on the floor. 

The plus side to this is this excites me since this probably won't be the only usb-c magsafe  thing on the market, and if other lap makers follow apple the use USBc for charging, I can attach a non-retarded charger. Phones as well, if wireless charging is not an option.

6f44d93eae2816824b351f94452fb06b_origina

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Interesting.

"Friendship is two pals munching on a well-cooked face together"

1 minute ago, QueenDemetria said:

The second gif is not an Apple computer, the unification has just begun! lol

I know that, I was more saying if this becomes common practice on ultralights, like how the lack of headphone jacks is starting to be a thing on phones.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I know that, I was more saying if this becomes common practice on ultralights, like how the lack of headphone jacks is starting to be a thing on phones.

Oh, it will :)

Does it have an LED on it? It's nice being able to glance at the charger and seeing an orange light for charging and green for charged.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

And it would sell a lot more if the plug end was smaller, so type C phones could use it and not look ugly.

This isn't the first product of its kind. There have been a lot of magnetic chargers for both micro B, Lightning and type C. All these aimed at phones. I'm guessing this one is built specifically for laptops. Probably due to the increased power consumption the adapter needs to handle so that it requires more robust circuitry than the other phone adapters on the market.

5 hours ago, QueenDemetria said:

Oh, it will :)

Am I supposed to care? You make it sound like something magical and yet I use a magnetic charger every day for my Windows laptop.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The MagSafe connector is actually one of the Macs best features and Apple decided to kill it for the asinine "courage". Good that someone else is bringing it back.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

The MagSafe connector is actually one of the Macs best features and Apple decided to kill it for the asinine "courage". Good that someone else is bringing it back.

Microsoft invented a charger as good as Magsafe in 2014 FYI.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft invented a charger as good as Magsafe in 2014 FYI.

Which one? I really don't know. 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Which one? I really don't know. 

SurfaceConnect.

They put it on Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book.

Man, is that a universal magsafe? If it was, now thats courage and innovation :P.

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

SurfaceConnect.

They put it on Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book.

I'm fine if they're going to kill the mini Display Port with a Thunderbolt 3 port that uses type C USB but they better not get rid of that in their next Surface lines. 

The number of adapters is increasing by the minute. Now you need to get an adapter even for charging - is there anything you can use at its best with the usb-c ports, or...?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

30 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Am I supposed to care? You make it sound like something magical and yet I use a magnetic charger every day for my Windows laptop.

I was referring to Type C becoming more common...

Are any of these magnetic adaptors any good?

I looked at quite a few different magnetic adaptors for USB micro and they all seemed the have the same problem (magnets too weak and the cable/dongle gets rather hot)

10 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

Are any of these magnetic adaptors any good?

I looked at quite a few different magnetic adaptors for USB micro and they all seemed the have the same problem (magnets too weak and the cable/dongle gets rather hot)

It saved me a lot of times from jerks at Starbucks tripping over the cord because of their clumsy walking. With MagSafe, it just pops immediately without dragging your MacBook with it. I really hope Apple brings back MagSafe. I just hope this one is good.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yup when I upgrade, I know I'm going to miss it.

Sometimes (a lot of the times with Apple), proprietary connectors are simply superior. Yes, we now have the option to use any USB-C cable to charge now but there are compromises to being the jack of all trades.

1 minute ago, Arri said:

Yup when I upgrade, I know I'm going to miss it.

Sometimes (a lot of the times with Apple), proprietary connectors are simply superior. Yes, we now have the option to use any USB-C cable to charge now but there are compromises to being the jack of all trades.

Like how back in the day, Lightning connector is better than micro USB. I hope Apple brings back MagSafe next year. I can forgive Apple for taking out type A usb and sd card slot but not the removal of MagSafe. 

It would actually be really cool to have this feature on a Windows laptop.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

This is so dumb.

What a fantastic comment that add's so much dimension to the conversation. Since you did not explain why this is dumb in your comment please explain it now.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

39 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

What a fantastic comment that add's so much dimension to the conversation. Since you did not explain why this is dumb in your comment please explain it now.

It adds something sticking out of your laptop that's liable to get snapped off, you waste an incredibly capable thunderbolt port, magsafe isn't actually that good (apple cables are so fragile) and there's really no good reason to not want to charge with USB-C