UbiSoft can't stop digging - For Honor always on-line

zMeul

How... shitty.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

yeah it's not like if MOST games that are coming out right now you HAVE to be logged in online to some stuff in order to play...right? (insert sarcasm)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Ubisoft is trying to make themselves not profitable at the moment because of Vivendi and their attempts at a hostile takeover. But mean while are still trying to make money, I find Ubisoft to be just as bad as the next guy buy if Vivendi gets a hold of them it could get a whole lot worse.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Ubisoft is trying to make themselves not profitable at the moment because of Vivendi and their attempts at a hostile takeover. But mean while are still trying to make money, I find Ubisoft to be just as bad as the next guy buy if Vivendi gets a hold of them it could get a whole lot worse.

So they need to be the goldie locks of shittiness: not too bad but not too good just shitty enough to survive without being taken over?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

So they need to be the goldie locks of shittiness: not too bad but not too good just shitty enough to survive without being taken over?

Exactly this, they're doing it on purpose most likely.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

15 hours ago, ivan134 said:

CDPR has taught people how it's done and some companies are still refusing to learn.

Mind giving some insight on that? I know a bit about CDPR's practices but I don't know how it pertains to having always online for what I can see is stats tracking.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

37 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Mind giving some insight on that? I know a bit about CDPR's practices but I don't know how it pertains to having always online for what I can see is stats tracking.

The game has a single player aspect, or at least was advertised that way. You will need to be online to play that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

It's a primarily multiplayer experience, why does anyone care?

I care, because I want to be able to play a MP game if the developer decides to shout it down, even if its just over LAN.
One game without the possibility of LAN without developers servers I own has shout down, and I cant play it anymore.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Everyone here should already know that Ubi's PR don't always know what they're talking about. The game may still have an offline mode.

11 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I care, because I want to be able to play a MP game if the developer decides to shout it down, even if its just over LAN.
One game without the possibility of LAN without developers servers I own has shout down, and I cant play it anymore.

That has nothing to do with it being online only.

A game can be offline singlepayer and still not have lan support or dedicated servers for multiplayer

4 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

That has nothing to do with it being online only.

A game can be offline singlepayer and still not have lan support or dedicated servers for multiplayer

false

thats has nothing to do with this. For honor is a multiplayer game, that require you to be connected to ubisoft servers.
You cant play LAN, you cant have your own servers.
That means Ubi servers shout down = game dead

I hate that.

its even worse if games that is strongly singleplayer require it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

13 minutes ago, Mihle said:

false

thats has nothing to do with this. For honor is a multiplayer game, that require you to be connected to ubisoft servers.
You cant play LAN, you cant have your own servers.
That means Ubi servers shout down = game dead

I hate that.

its even worse if games that is strongly singleplayer require it.

Obviously you have absolutely no understanding of what i wrote. It doesn't matter what for honor supports, my point is that the lan and dedicated servers has nothing to do with it requiring a connection to ubisoft or some other parent

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

The game has a single player aspect, or at least was advertised that way. You will need to be online to play that.

Are we talking about Witcher 3 (CDPR's Game) or For Honor in that context? I'm trying to figure out the connection between "learning from CDPR" and what Ubisoft is doing.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 minute ago, PocketNerd said:

Are we talking about Witcher 3 (CDPR's Game) or For Honor in that context? I'm trying to figure out the connection between "learning from CDPR" and what Ubisoft is doing.

The only reason you world need to be online for single player is DRM purposes. CDPR has showed you just need to make a good game and you won't have to worry about piracy. The people who pirate games had no intention of buying them the 1st place. DRM only hurts paying customers, and this is a prime example.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

6 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

The only reason you world need to be online for single player is DRM purposes. CDPR has showed you just need to make a good game and you won't have to worry about piracy. The people who pirate games had no intention of buying them the 1st place. DRM only hurts paying customers, and this is a prime example.

Eh, invasive DRM only hurts customers. I have yet to come across any DRM that I felt ruined my experience with playing a game, unless I were trying to download a cracked copy to try it out before purchasing. Is always-online invasive? Sure, I'm just not convinced that DRM is the sole reason for them to do it. Cause there are plenty of games (mostly mobile) that behave that way for quite legit reasons. Also, by that logic, MMO's should never be always-online if you only desire to play by yourself.

I do agree with you otherwise though.

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Obviously you have absolutely no understanding of what i wrote. It doesn't matter what for honor supports, my point is that the lan and dedicated servers has nothing to do with it requiring a connection to ubisoft or some other parent

It doesnt, I didnt say it was either, my point was that I want the possibility to play multiplayer games even after the developer closes it's servers. With always online, that doest matter if the developer is stopping the servers for the game, because the game won't work at all anymore.

I want multiplayer games to have dedicated servers or at least play over LAN. And I want to games to require online at all. (Connecting to developer servers)

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

It doesnt, I didnt say it was either, my point was that I want the possibility to play multiplayer games even after the developer closes it's servers. With always online, that doest matter if the developer is stopping the servers for the game, because the game won't work at all anymore.

I want multiplayer games to have dedicated servers or at least play over LAN. And I want to games to require online at all. (Connecting to developer servers)

If the developer is serious about their product, even after shutting down their servers, they normally make a workaround for the games to still work, after shutting down..
In some cases they leave it up to the community to find a way to make it work, by aiding them with the tools and experience.

As with dedicated server and lan you mentioned further up, this can still work, even with a always online policy system. The system doesn't necassary mean you have to play on Ubisofts servers for you to be able to play the game.
All the system is requiring, is an active authentication link towards Ubisoft, to keep the ".exe" from essentially "crashing"

I'd assume this game has a matchmaking system, so the majority of the players would be there, so there wouldn't really be need for dedicated server, unless the game will have custom game mods and modding support in general

Main rig:
Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme3 | CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.3Ghz with Noctua NH-D14 | RAM: HyperX Fury DD4 2133MHz 16GB (4x4GB) | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition | PSU: Corsair AX760i | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (White) | Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Toshiba 3TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Displays: BenQ XL2410T (120Hz) + 1xBenQ G2420HD (60Hz) | Keyboard: CM Storm Rapid I (Brown switches) | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

On 12/13/2016 at 7:36 PM, NumLock21 said:

I find this bitching about how crappy ubisoft is at every opportunity you can get, is the same as them digging. Complain all you want behind your keyboards, are they going to care? Your opinion isn't even worth a clump of dirt. People are still going to buy it and your bitching won't do anything. Don't like what they are doing, then don't buy the game.

I agree that it's annoying and getting kind of tired, but this is why we need it.

On 12/13/2016 at 7:38 PM, VagabondWraith said:

I was going to buy this game aaaaand... not anymore.

This forum keeps amazing me every single day. How the hell can anyone with more than half a braincell defend this practice? It is like there is a competition on this forum about which user can put up with the most bullshit from companies.

Here is an easy thought process you should go though every time you are thinking of defending a decision a company has made:

Does the change have a negative impact on consumers?

Yes - Then don't support it.

No - Then you might be justified in defending it.

Always-online single player does not improve the experience for the consumers at all. Since it doesn't improve the situation, while at the same time can cause issues, it is a bad thing. Stop defending practices that punishes paying customers. Stop defending decisions that makes a product objectively worse for the consumers.

Is a large portion of LTT users masochists? You'd think they are because it seems like people on here enjoy being treated like garbage by companies. STOP DEFENDING THINGS WHICH ONLY HARMS USERS!

Maybe it's just shills...

Vivendi just fucking take over this trash company already and wreck it ffs

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Meh, I would've been interested in this game (even before this news)..... but I then heard about Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlords and all interest for For Honor dropped to zero. People interested in this game, should probably just wait for Mount & Blade 2 Bannerlords instead (I mean the old Mount & Blade games are still fun to play to this date).

21 hours ago, Mihle said:

Which is entirely unrelated to this post about Ubisoft's original claim that single player would be offline...which has nothing to do with multiplayer...

10 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

Which is entirely unrelated to this post about Ubisoft's original claim that single player would be offline...which has nothing to do with multiplayer...

No it isnt, (or true if you loom directly at it) becaue all new Ubisoft multiplayer games havet had those possibilities. And both do a game not playable or much less playable if Ubisoft servers stops.

but if you still disagree, then we agree to do so.

-Stephen Hawking

Done. Got chivalry this morning. Really interesting game 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>