Need arents to allow me buying a graphics card

Hey guys,

does somebody have an idea how i could convince my parents that im allowed to buy a 1070. I mean its my money because i go to work but i still live at my parents home. And no im not in a financial state where i have to sell my kidneys. I would be totally fine financially but my mom wont let me and i dont wanna cause big drama.

Thanks for help 

Bye Nico :) 

Unless they monitor your bank account, how they gonna know? Just buy it when they aren't home and install it before they get back.

Seriously though, if you don't already have a car, save up for that first. Otherwise..

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

1 hour ago, DaBeggad said:

Hey guys,

does somebody have an idea how i could convince my parents that im allowed to buy a 1070. I mean its my money because i go to work but i still live at my parents home. And no im not in a financial state where i have to sell my kidneys. I would be totally fine financially but my mom wont let me and i dont wanna cause big drama.

Thanks for help 

I have several questions:

1. How old are you? And yes, it matters.

2. WHY won't she let you? What's her reasoning? Have you actually asked her why she said no?

3. Do you have your own bank account?

4. Do you have to ask her for permission to make any purchases?

5. Where did you get "your" money?

6. Do you have a part time job?

7. Are you already saving a portion of your earnings for College/other savings?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, DaBeggad said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for help 

And to add on to dalek, How much do you really need a 1070? Thats a lot of money, and really, you could just game at 1080p.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

10 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

Seriously though, if you don't already have a car, save up for that first. Otherwise..

Off-topic, but: very dubious investment (notice OP isn't in North America ;)).

15 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Off-topic, but: very dubious investment (notice OP isn't in North America ;)).

Bavaria is like northern Germany, right? Somewhere around there? Yeah, having a car would only be useful if they lived in a very small rural town that didn't have Rail Access, and, say, wanted to work in a neighbouring town.

I'd be more inclined to just make sure the OP is saving some of his money into a general fund. I don't believe he'll have to pay for College/University in Germany, but I'm not 100% on all the rules around that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Bavaria is like northern Germany, right? Somewhere around there? Yeah, having a car would only be useful if they lived in a very small rural town that didn't have Rail Access, and, say, wanted to work in a neighbouring town.

I'd be more inclined to just make sure the OP is saving some of his money into a general fund. I don't believe he'll have to pay for College/University in Germany, but I'm not 100% on all the rules around that.

Southern Germany, but yes ;) Of course, there are still many reasons while one may want a car, but in my experience it can be much more restrictive in the US due to city layouts and public transportation availability (one night in Philadelphia we couldn't even get a radio taxi to pick us up at a suburb to head back downtown :P).

As for the rest, I agree, for all we know we may end up agreeing with the parents, depending on the missing information.

1 hour ago, Satisfoxy said:

Unless they monitor your bank account, how they gonna know? Just buy it when they aren't home and install it before they get back.

i have another back acc for that with 10k

I have several questions:

1. How old are you? And yes, it matters.

2. WHY won't she let you? What's her reasoning? Have you actually asked her why she said no?

3. Do you have your own bank account?

4. Do you have to ask her for permission to make any purchases?

5. Where did you get "your" money?

6. Do you have a part time job?

7. Are you already saving a portion of your earnings for College/other savings?

1. 17

2. it costs 2 much... but a s7 edge was ok

3. yes

4. i dont know if i have to im telling her about every purchase

5. full time job (trainee)

6. full time job

7. other bank acc 10k

1 hour ago, Satisfoxy said:

i have another back acc for that with 10k

6 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

1. 17

2. it costs 2 much... but a s7 edge was ok

3. yes

4. i dont know if i have to im telling her about every purchase

5. full time job (trainee)

6. full time job

7. other bank acc 10k

At that point, there's not much (if anything) we can do to help you.

You need to sit down with your mother and have a mature conversation with her about her reasons why. You also might try to compromise with her and suggest getting a GTX 1060 6GB instead.

Instantly move out when you are 18 or you will end up living with your parents 'till 27 like my cousin.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Download Blender. Make some stuff. Later tell parents you want a video card for faster rendering as the software mode is limiting what you want to do. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

At that point, there's not much (if anything) we can do to help you.

You need to sit down with your mother and have a mature conversation with her about her reasons why. You also might try to compromise with her and suggest getting a GTX 1060 6GB instead.

i mean i got a 970 so getting a 1060 is not an option but thanks tho :D

10 minutes ago, DaBeggad said:

i mean i got a 970 so getting a 1060 is not an option but thanks tho :D

It is an upgrade from the GTX 970... just not a drastic one :P

Why do you want the GTX 1070? Are you finding that games you are playing are being held back in a significant way over the 970? What resolution is your monitor?

They probably just don't want you to completely run out of money and that's why they think it's too expensive. I'd negotiate it if at all possible like "Ok I really wanna get this card, you think it's expensive but I can save extra money so you can see that it's no impulse buy and I will still have savings even if the price of it seems high to you"

If you show that you actually can manage your money I don't think their objection would be too much since well, there wouldn't be any "lesson" to teach. If they still refuse sorry to say but they're just being fucking jerks: keep what you have and just put your money towards moving out as soon as you're legally able to.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

They probably just don't want you to completely run out of money and that's why they think it's too expensive. I'd negotiate it if at all possible like "Ok I really wanna get this card, you think it's expensive but I can save extra money so you can see that it's no impulse buy and I will still have savings even if the price of it seems high to you"

If you show that you actually can manage your money I don't think their objection would be too much since well, there wouldn't be any "lesson" to teach. If they still refuse sorry to say but they're just being fucking jerks: keep what you have and just put your money towards moving out as soon as you're legally able to.

im not close to running out of money but thanks tho

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It is an upgrade from the GTX 970... just not a drastic one :P

Why do you want the GTX 1070? Are you finding that games you are playing are being held back in a significant way over the 970? What resolution is your monitor?

its not what i need its what i want  xD

Idk that's a big purchase for a toy

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

But he already has a 970 where it's almost a side grade going from a 970 to a 1060 :/ 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

25 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But he already has a 970 where it's almost a side grade going from a 970 to a 1060 :/ 

This information is readily available now, but you'll note he does not specify what rig he's currently using in the OP (Or in his sig, and I'm not going to go to the profile of every single person I talk to in a thread to check if they listed their rig there). This was only later posted more than halfway through the thread.

And yes, upgrading from a 970 to a 1060 6GB isn't the most amazing value proposition, but it is an upgrade, regardless of how minor.

Anyway, at this point the ball is in the OP's court, as his only real solution is to talk to his parents and convince them to allow the purchase.

When I was that age, my parents didn't care about my purchasing decisions, because they already knew they could trust me to make good decisions, but I would have been reluctant to spend that much money on a gaming PC, unless I needed the extra horsepower for College or something.

His alternatives are:

1. Waiting until he's moved out

2. Defying his parents wishes and just buying it anyway

I say just buy it. If its YOUR money that YOU worked for then why not? GTX 1070's aren't illegal. No reason you couldn't. Most of the time when my parents say a purchase is bad i think long and hard and then buy it. Like I did with my Maxnomic Chair

Breaking things 1 day at a time

What is an "arent"?

/s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER