Bestbuy's monopoly on electronics in canada

gtx1060=value

So, this black friday, i purchased a 24 inch lg monitor to add to my programming setup, i bought it from bestbuy at 120 dollars, after ridiculous canadian taxes, it came out to 150 dollars , i only bought it from bestbuy because they said it was 40 percent off, from 200 ish dollars, but, i went on newegg to find the specs of the monitor to calculate the amount of bandwith needed for it, (Based on 3 bytes/pixel) and it said that the monitor's original price was 145 dollars. Is this another case of price inflation, and then pretending to have a huge sale when it's really only 10 percent off? I want your opinions on this bullshit that Bestbuy calls a "black friday doorbuster"

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-electronics-lg-24-fhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-tn-led-monitor-24m38d-b-aus-black-24m38d-b-aus/10440826.aspx?path=72396effd2c1667e143154e143cf00e3en02\

link to bestbuy website - apparently, they are pricing it 100 dollars more than newegg is

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-004V7&cm_re=24m38d-_-0JC-000D-004V7-_-Product

Edit: After being told that bestbuy's pricing strategies are legal but kinda scummy, i have changed this topic to a more important topic, bestbuy's monopoly on electronics in canada - they closed down futureshop, there are no other big chain stores that canadians go to aside from costco - newegg sorta counts but they are mostly online and most people don't know about them - bestbuy and amazon and ebay have a monopoly on google searches SEO wise, comments would be appreciated

There is nothing wrong with listing the MSRP. Not to mention, not all stores list all items at the same full price (even when there are no sales).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

that's how it works. 

and MSRP is MSRP. 

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

The only good deal at Best Buy is the one you get by bringing in a Newegg listing and telling them to match it.

Wonder if it will work if I tell them that their Water cooler 1080 costs more than the cheapish Asus Turbo

1) literally every sale lists "X percent off" the MSRP, and it pretty much is never sold at MSRP, always under it.

This is the same for ALL stores and ALL products.

Literally every kid knows that marketing works like that.

2) It's not a scam or false advertising either.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 12/8/2016 at 8:46 PM, djdwosk97 said:

There is nothing wrong with listing the MSRP. Not to mention, not all stores list all items at the same full price (even when there are no sales).

well, 120 vs 135 is still a better price - but right now im just concerned about how bestbuy prices

The real scam are those bezels. Things are PHAT

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

8 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

So, this black friday, i purchased a 24 inch lg monitor to add to my programming setup, i bought it from bestbuy at 120 dollars, after ridiculous canadian taxes, it came out to 150 dollars , i only bought it from bestbuy because they said it was 40 percent off, from 200 ish dollars, but, i went on newegg to find the specs of the monitor to calculate the amount of bandwith needed for it, (Based on 3 bytes/pixel) and it said that the monitor's original price was 145 dollars. Is this another case of price inflation, and then pretending to have a huge sale when it's really only 10 percent off? I want your opinions on this bullshit that Bestbuy calls a "black friday doorbuster"

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-electronics-lg-24-fhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-tn-led-monitor-24m38d-b-aus-black-24m38d-b-aus/10440826.aspx?path=72396effd2c1667e143154e143cf00e3en02\

link to bestbuy website - apparently, they are pricing it 100 dollars more than newegg is

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0JC-000D-004V7&cm_re=24m38d-_-0JC-000D-004V7-_-Product

Err so you're mad that NewEgg has a lower regular price compared to Best Buy? That kind of stuff happens all the time. As others have mentioned, regardless of what NewEgg lists the regular price as, the MSRP doesn't change. No retailer has to adhere to - or even list - the MSRP of a product.

Rather then blindly buy the monitor from Best Buy, you should have shopped around first to actually ensure that they have the lowest price. PCPartPicker is one method of doing this, or ShopBot (Though I don't know how popular that site is these days).

But in the end:

1. No, Best Buy didn't scam you

2. Yes, their sale price was still cheaper then NewEgg

3. You still saved money

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Best Buy's sales are based on the MSRP, not the competition.

They will price match IF you can PROVE that a competing retailer sells the particular product at a cheaper price.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

1) literally every sale lists "X percent off" the MSRP, and it pretty much is never sold at MSRP, always under it.

it just seems sort of scummy to do that, not every store lists sales off msrp, but it seems that in canada bestbuy has a monopoly on the electronics aside from newegg so they can charge whatever they want

2 minutes ago, Jon1764 said:

Best Buy is generally more expensive due to many factors such as more physical locations, staff to pay, insurance, liberal return policy, etc. Newegg is cheaper because afaik they only have 1 physical location (office) in Markham, so they don't need to pay extra costs.

im not familiar with either of these companies as i do not live in north america but isnt newegg like ebay where they have multiple sellers?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The only good deal at Best Buy is the one you get by bringing in a Newegg listing and telling them to match it.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I think you're an idiot if you're not smart enough to shop around. There is nothing wrong with listing the MSRP. Not to mention, not all stores list all items at the same full price (even when there are no sales).

5 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

that's how it works. 

and MSRP is MSRP. 

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wonder if it will work if I tell them that their Water cooler 1080 costs more than the cheapish Asus Turbo

3 minutes ago, Jon1764 said:

Best Buy is generally more expensive due to many factors such as more physical locations, staff to pay, insurance, liberal return policy, etc. Newegg is cheaper because afaik they only have 1 physical location (office/hybrid centre) in Markham, so they don't need to pay the amount that Best Buy does for day to day operations of all physical location.

That being said, there are companies that do scammy stuff with sale prices, so the only way to protect yourself is to look at historical price changes a few months before the sale to see how the price changes. If the price suddenly goes up, then they discount it for the difference then it is most definitely a scam, and I'm sure illegal.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

2 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

The real scam are those bezels. Things are PHAT

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Err so you're mad that NewEgg has a lower regular price compared to Best Buy? That kind of stuff happens all the time. As others have mentioned, regardless of what NewEgg lists the regular price as, the MSRP doesn't change. No retailer has to adhere to - or even list - the MSRP of a product.

Rather then blindly buy the monitor from Best Buy, you should have shopped around first to actually ensure that they have the lowest price. PCPartPicker is one method of doing this, or ShopBot (Though I don't know how popular that site is these days).

But in the end:

1. No, Best Buy didn't scam you

2. Yes, their sale price was still cheaper then NewEgg

3. You still saved money

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Best Buy's sales are based on the MSRP, not the competition.

They will price match IF you can PROVE that a competing retailer sells the particular product at a cheaper price.

changing title to bestbuy's monopoly on electronics in canada

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

it just seems sort of scummy to do that, not every store lists sales off msrp,

most companies do exactly that including newegg and amazon.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

Newegg...

Amazon....

The manufacturers of half the products they sell.........

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

it just seems sort of scummy to do that, not every store lists sales off msrp, but it seems that in canada bestbuy has a monopoly on the electronics aside from newegg so they can charge whatever they want

How is that scummy? Their price is their price. Best Buy lists their sale based off of the regular price they sell it at. This is often similar or exactly the same as the MSRP, but not always.

Do your research, man.

Err how does Best Buy have a monopoly on electronics?

You can probably buy that monitor at NCIX, NewEgg.ca, Canada Computers, possibly even Staples.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

13 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

(Based on 3 bytes/pixel)

Depends on how many bits your color depth uses.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

12 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

I want your opinions on this bullshit that Bestbuy calls a "black friday doorbuster"

i find things on sale are just stock clearance of stuff that have not sold well or they will heavily discount one product only and the rest will be a few dollars off

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

How is that scummy? Their price is their price. Best Buy lists their sale based off of the regular price they sell it at. This is often similar or exactly the same as the MSRP, but not always.

Do your research, man.

Err how does Best Buy have a monopoly on electronics?

You can probably buy that monitor at NCIX, NewEgg.ca, Canada Computers, possibly even Staples.

but do most canadians walk into NCIX, go on newegg, or go to canada computers for electronics? And staples is notorious for high pricings in canada

it's not exactly a monopoly per se - but for the average canadian, the only electronics store they go to is bestbuy and maybe costco

it's not exactly a monopoly per se - but for the average canadian, the only electronics store they go to is bestbuy and maybe costco

Correction:

it's not exactly a monopoly per se - but for the average canadian, costco for everything

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

I get almost everything from amazon or ncix or memory express...

And "scummy" is the reality of all marketing and advertising, the point is to sell and make money.

If you are upset about it working on you then you might need to do a bit more research and learn to objectively search for products rather than impulse buying based on looking at the price tag.

It also seems like you still haven't figured out how taxes work, since you're so surprised about $120 turning into $150.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

but do most canadians walk into NCIX, go on newegg, or go to canada computers for electronics? And staples is notorious for high pricings in canada

http://www.shopbot.ca/m?q=LG+24M38D

As you can see, that monitor is available at like a dozen Canadian e-retailers.

And yeah... lots of Canadians walk into NCIX and Canada Computers for electronics. Not so much NewEgg, as they don't have a physical store that I'm aware of.

Staples can have high prices, but they sometimes have very low prices too. If anything, Best Buy is notorious for the high prices.

The average gamer blindly buys NVIDIA GPU's too - that doesn't take away the fact that you can buy AMD GPU's at pretty much any store that sells Computer Parts.

Actually, I've gotten a lot of good deals at BestBuy - Asus ZenWatch 2 for $80, seen G610s for $60, G810 for $80, G502 for $40, hyperX Stinger for $35, etc.

Mostly they scam you on GPUs tho, saw a 1050Ti for $400 (probably a pricing mistake but STILL lmao)

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]