Using a PC as a heater

79wjd

The heat in my apartment just stopped working and so I started to wonder.....how efficient is a computer at converting electricity into heat? Is it less efficient than a traditional electric space heater? Would 300w of computer put out the same amount of heat as a 300w heater (I know space heaters are generally >1 kw)?

also, how well would 300w heat a room that's 10'x10'x8' with no windows?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'd imagine most of the energy would go into heat. I can't think of any other major energy source the electricity is being turned into.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

I'd imagine most of the energy would go into heat. I can't think of any other major energy source the electricity is being turned into.

Err - what? For a PC? Most of the energy goes into... you know... powering the computer.

Using a PC as a space heater would be very inefficient.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A computer chugging 1KW is comparable to a 1KW space heater, at least according to Puget Systems: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

Incredibly hard to believe - that basically means how inefficient the components are at powering themselves (generating lots of excess heat).

I'd be curious to see if others have tested this.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Very, very inefficient. 

depends. On a 7970. any day. On a 780, it'd be meh

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Apparently not: 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

A computer chugging 1KW is comparable to a 1KW space heater, at least according to Puget Systems: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Err - what? For a PC? Most of the energy goes into... you know... powering the computer.

? In what form of energy?

Most of the electrical energy from the wall is being converted into thermal energy while doing work (in the form of calculations). The only other forms of energy I can think of are kinetic (air moving by fans), sound (sound of fans), and light (monitor). By definition energy is conserved so...

Yes, it is going into powering the computer, but most of that energy is converted into heat in the process of doing calculations.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Incredibly hard to believe - that basically means how inefficient the components are at powering themselves (generating lots of excess heat).

It's called physics.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Apparently not: 

Mind boggling. According to that graph, the space heater is actually even worse compared to the PC. Something doesn't seem right. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of multiple small electric heaters, not just a single random model.

When you consider P = IV and you can play with ohm's law all day, and resistance is converting electrical energy into heat, you can make a case that consuming 1KW of electrical power does indeed create 1KW of heat, regardless of how it's being used.

Mind boggling. According to that graph, the space heater is actually even worse compared to the PC. Something doesn't seem right. I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of multiple small electric heaters, not just a single random model.

Then, according to you, what is the energy from the wall being converted to? Energy is conserved, so it can't be being converted into "calculations" or "work."

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Then, according to you, what is the energy from the wall being converted to? Energy is conserved, so it can't be being converted into "calculations" or "work."

I would have thought the energy (depending on the specific component, but let's assume GPU and CPU) is being used to "flip" the actual transistors. I don't think you can consider that kinetic energy though, as as far as I'm aware, the transistors don't actually move.

I'm not saying that a computer shouldn't produce any heat, but a device which it's sole purpose is to create heat (a space heater), should be more efficient at the job, then a device that is doing other work.

Now I fully admit I'm not a physicist. So you're saying that by definition, all Integrated Circuit/processor calculations are thermal energy? Do you have any links to documentation that I could read up on this?

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Then where is the energy going? Its not making light, noise, or movement. 

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I would have thought the energy (depending on the specific component, but let's assume GPU and CPU) is being used to "flip" the actual transistors. I don't think you can consider that kinetic energy though, as as far as I'm aware, the transistors don't actually move.

Think of it as the transitors are shorting the circuilt, or leaving it open. They energy is being turned into heard due to the restance

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Think of it as the transitors are shorting the circuilt, or leaving it open. They energy is being turned into heard due to the restance

Yeah but isn't the entire point of modern electronics and Processor material technologies that they are low resistance? Isn't lower resistance desired?

And a heater would essentially want to maximize the resistance since that creates the heat.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Yeah but isn't the entire point of modern electronics and Processor material technologies that they are low resistance? Isn't lower resistance desired?

The restance doesn't really matter, that 1v for the cpu still has to do something, and it will naturally generate heat. 

I have radiator in my room turned off for years..even when there is -10°C outside. My PC keeps my room very pleasantly warm even if I have window sligthlt opened to get fresh air.

About 300W for PC in typical gaming load+2 monitors+ router so about 400W max.

Room is 18 square meters.

For whole apartment it may be possible with more power hungry PC with water cooling and TV running somewhere in the background.

Back when i had my AMD machine, i'd kept it next to my feet during winter time when playing some games, it would knock the chill out of my feet in seconds, and keep then very, very warm.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

And a heater would essentially want to maximize the resistance since that creates the heat.

Yes, they are getting more efficient, that's why you can get a 4ghz cpu that runs on ~60watts. Efficiency means uses less power, not makes the power somehow vanish from existence. If you use the electricity in a computer, it goes to heat. Modern parts are more efficient because they do more with less power, thus run cooler.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have radiator in my room turned off for years..even when there is -10°C outside. My PC keeps my room very pleasantly warm even if I have window sligthlt opened to get fresh air.

About 300W for PC in typical gaming load+2 monitors+ router so about 400W max.

Room is 18 square meters.

For whole apartment it may be possible with more power hungry PC with water cooling and TV running somewhere in the background.

interesting.....I've been trying to heat my (9sq meters) room with my pc (300w~) for about 30+ minutes and I haven't noticed much. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

No matter how you look at it, using a computer to heat your room is stupid. You could run some superpi or some benchmarking tools to keep your cpu hot, and you could use some bitcoin mining software or some benchmark like furmark to heat the video card, but there's much easier ways to produce heat.

You can make your own heater using simple resistors and a power supply. (could be computer power supply, could be laptop adapter, could be anything)

You have 12v generated by the computer power supply, so you can simply connect resistors to that 12v output of your power supply and let them heat.

We have the basic formula V = I x R  (voltage equals current times resistance )  from which we can determine P = I2xR  ( power dissipated in resistor equals current squared times resistance). We just have to be careful when picking  a resistor value careful so that the power dissipated in the resistor will be at most around 80-85% the power rating of the resistor (otherwise it will melt down, overheat etc) 

So for example a good match for our 12v voltage that's available in computer power supplies is 56 ohm resistor.   Since V = I x R , this means through resistor there's going to be I = V / R = 12v / 56 ohm = 0.215 A , and so the power dissipated in the resistor will be P = 0.215 x 0.215 x 56 = about 2.58 watts. A 56 ohm 3w max resistor is 12 cents, if you buy 100 of them :  http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/PNP300JR-73-56R/56AECT-ND/2059166

There's also resistors rated for higher power, for example the bigger ceramic resistors which are rated for 5w or 7w or 10w. For example here's a 33 ohm 5w rated resistor, 18 cents each if you buy 100, 32 cents if you buy 25 : http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/SQP500JB-33R/33W-5-ND/18667

Each resistor would dissipate about 4.3 watts of power, so 100 such resistors would produce 430 watts of heat

So with just 12 dollars, you can make your own 258 watt heater (or 18$ for 430 watts), excluding shipping which adds maybe an extra 8$ or so.

Each resistor would heat up a lot if it has to dissipate an amount close to its maximum rating (well over 100 degrees C), so it would also be a good idea to put the strip of resistors in a duct or a tube and have a fan on one side of the tube blow air through the tube to constantly move colder air over the resistors. The air would warm up from the resistors and in turn heat your room.

Each molex connector or sata connector or 6pin pci-e connector on your computer can provide up to around 8A of current safely or about 100 watts, so you could separate the resistors in sets of 50 or somethign like that and give each strip its own connector to the power supply.

If you add an on/off switch to each strip, you have your own variable heater.

Another example : 18 ohm 10w resistor , would dissipate 8 watts if connected to 12v .. and they cost 35 cents each in 25pcs, 24 cents if you get 100: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/yageo/SQP10AJB-18R/18W-10-ND/18741

For over 5w per resistor you really have to push air over the resistors to move the heat from the surface of the resistors into the air and heat the air in your room... so factor in the cost of the 80mm - 120mm fan pushing air through a box or tube or something that holds your resistors (you want some shape that would make the air from fan move over all resistors)

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No matter how you look at it, using a computer to heat your room is stupid. .......but there's much easier ways to produce heat.

Running Heaven/Valley sounds a lot easier then going to the store and buying all of that and then putting it together seeing as I have a PC next to me. (but that's not even the point)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, the process technologies are meant to make the transistors themselves use less energy to flip, BUT at the same time, we are also using the increased power and thermal headroom to use more transistors and increase clock speeds. So yes, modern transistors at emu church more efficient from ones from, say, 10 years ago, but the power savings are "invested" into more transistors for higher ipc and/or more cores or higher clocks.

As for how the transistors generate heat:

A transistor (FET, in modern ICs) never switches instantly from full OFF to full ON. There is a period while it's turning on or off where the FET acts like a resistor (even when fully ON it still has a resistance).

As you know, passing a current through a resistor generates heat (P=I2RP=I2R or P=V2RP=V2R).

The more the transistors switch the more time they spend in that resistive state, so the more heat they generate. So the amount of heat generated can be directly proportional to the number of transistors - but it is also dependent on which transistors are doing what and when, and that depends on what the chip is being instructed to do.

Yes, manufacturers may position specific blocks of their design (not individual transistors, but blocks that form a complete function) in certain areas depending on the heat that block could generate - either to place it in a location with better heat bonding, or to place it away from another block that may generate heat. They also have to take into account power distribution within the chip, so placing blocks arbitrarily may not always be possible, so they have to come to a compromise.

I got this answer from here: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/160249/why-does-a-processor-get-hot

Naturally there is some electricity that gets through the transistor to the next one and so on, but a lot of the electricity is converted to heat. This is why people often use the TDP to somewhat estimate the power draw of a processing unit-nearly all of the electrical energy is converted to heat.

This stuff can be quite interesting. It's always cool to not just use the stuff but actually (semi) understand what's going on behind the scenes!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Running Heaven/Valley sounds a lot easier then going to the store and buying all of that and then putting it together seeing as I have a PC next to me. (but that's not even the point)

Don't run heaven; do F@H... For science! :D 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler